NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Brian_Urlacher_crop2.jpg

Good examples to prove my point. Both the Bears and Packers looked better and more like the classic Bears and Packers when the shoulders were empty. You can add the Chiefs in there too. The Raiders are probably the best example of not filling uniform space just to fill uniform space and looking better for it. Shrinking sleeve space necessitated the numbers move to the shoulders, but the better solution would've been not to use TV numbers at all because they're unnecessary clutter as the Pats, Chargers, and Bengals have shown. 

I believe this was brought up a month ago and I mentioned how the Chiefs and Bears looked better (read:accurate to tradition) with numbers on the sleeve instead of the shoulders.

Look at Alexander in this picture. The entire top half of the jersey is cluttered, and it looks compressed, not "filled with design" or whatnot. 

jaire16.png?ve=1&tl=1

Where would you fit TV number on the Bengals jerseys without looking shrunken like Carolina?

221021092111-christian-mccaffrey-spt-int

• Like 3

Alright, ENOUGH.

@ripall90 @Sport  -- drop this argument NOW. Clearly the two of you have differing opinions on football uniforms and neither of you is going to change the other's mind. It's pulling the thread too far away from its intended purpose of sharing news about uniform changes as they come up, and it's frankly a headache for the mods to have to keep tabs on this thread to make sure it's not getting out of control.

To all: Opinions will come up, and you're free to disagree with them, but do it in a respectful manner, and know when to say when. You don't need to constantly debate each others' opinions, especially when it's clear there's a gulf that won't be overcome. Agree to disagree and move on. It might also behoove some folks is this thread to remember that these are opinions being stated and not hard-and-fast rules, despite some of the language being used to express said opinions.

Any subjective statement in these threads should be read with "In my opinion ..." in front of it. Trust me, you'll enjoy things much more that way. 

Any further derailment of the thread will result in suspensions.

• Like 8
  • Meh 1
  • Yawn 1

3 hours ago, ripall90 said:

Surprised you don't think the begnals should change back to when they were literally the browns with BENGALS on their helmet

I'd be fine with that.  It's still the Bengals best look.

1694ff6ca6f3e9c1dfcabbca2f37a6de.jpg

• LOL 1
  • Huh? 3
  • Dislike 4

BB52Big.jpg

4 hours ago, Sport said:

I was ten years old when they debuted those uniforms and every kid thought they were the coolest thing we'd ever seen. Every dad thought they were an abomination. I remember my dad saying it was tragic that they won the Super Bowl in them rather than the orange crush jerseys. I thought they wouldn't have won the super bowl if they hadn't changed and I still kind of believe that. 

Terrell Davis got better because the uniforms made him look cooler, which is, of course, ridiculous, but that's what I thought at that age. 

terrell_davis_001.jpg?w=620?uuid=3C04EF78-5405-4191-8FD6-A42DFA5CA9

The Bucs had the same thing going on. It took them a bit longer to win a Super Bowl but the franchise's first real rise out of irrelevances happened when they first unveiled the pewter and crimson look. 

The idea that uniforms affect play is silly... but to some small degree, even if it's only perception, a struggling team with the right pieces in place to turn it around can really use a rebrand like that to change the whole feel of the team. 

I love the orange crush Broncos look. I love the old D logo. I'm not sure I want it all back though. Yeah the Broncos' look is incredibly dated now but it was a trendsetter. And it's associated with them turning around from being the Diet Bills to a model franchise. I feel like the set is everything I should hate now, but the ten year old in me that was blown away by them and saw them win back to back Super Bowls would be sad to see them go. 

With that said wearing the white jerseys with blue pants is incredibly moronic and exactly what I'd expect out of Mr. Broncos Country Let's Ride and Coach Moron. 

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

I'd be fine with that.  It's still the Bengals best look.

1694ff6ca6f3e9c1dfcabbca2f37a6de.jpg

I don't agree with it... but I respect it. 

• Like 6

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

There's something fun about Paul Brown getting muscled out of the Browns and just getting another team and making them as close to the Browns as he legally could. 

Then the Bengals :censored:-ed it all up by making the Super Bowl the year they changed the uniforms. So much for being the Browns South. 😎

• Like 1
  • LOL 2

BB52Big.jpg

29 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Since we are (were) on the subject of eliminating TV numbers, what if the Panthers "UCLA-ed" thier stripes to something like this:

C0Xm0Of.png

No thanks. Try and keep the loop, use the Chargers-style hoop space (cut it off if you have to, but make it a point like the pants), drop the shoulder numbers. Just clean it up, don't change it too much.

• Like 6

the user formerly known as cdclt

Wouldn't mind it, but I feel like the Panthers could use a more drastic redesign. They should definitely keep some form of shoulder stripe and perhaps emphasize their electric blue over black, but I think moving on to something more modern would be the right way to go with them

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Just now, PERRIN said:

Wouldn't mind it, but I feel like the Panthers could use a more drastic redesign. They should definitely keep some form of shoulder stripe and perhaps emphasize their electric blue over black, but I think moving on to something more modern would be the right way to go with them

I keep seeing this suggestion brought up - the Panthers are a rare example of an expansion team that hasn't changed much since their first season and they should stick with that. Agreed to emphasizing Panthers blue over black but no thanks to something "more modern". The team is already ruining its look with all-black/all-white/that awful black helmet, any modern redesign would look more like the Falcons than the Panthers.

• Like 11

22 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

19 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

I keep seeing this suggestion brought up - the Panthers are a rare example of an expansion team that hasn't changed much since their first season and they should stick with that. Agreed to emphasizing Panthers blue over black but no thanks to something "more modern". The team is already ruining its look with all-black/all-white/that awful black helmet, any modern redesign would look more like the Falcons than the Panthers.

The Panthers are an interesting case: their uniform is both traditional and modern at the same time. Now with the shrinking size of shoulder pads (and thus jersey real estate) those tapered shoulder loops really don't taper like they're supposed to, but I'd say that's an integral part of their look along with the tapered pants stripes--both in their signature Carolina [Panthers] blue--and moving away from that may just turn them into any other team any other where. I don't know that they need an overall as much as they could use a soft refresh and/or clean-up. 

As for emphasizing blue over black: if they do that, they'd essentially turn into the Lions at that point...plus that blue has more impact against a black background. They're a tough one to try to "modernize"--well, without going off the rails with it anyway (or dialing it down to -5 like the Jags did five [!] years ago). Faling all that, I guess for now their best bet is to keep what they have--but either get rid of the TV numbers entirely or replace the panther head logos on the sleeve caps with those numbers. Having both on there with the boulevard-wide collars those Nike jerseys have is just too much.

Then again...the Florida Tuskers figured out something, so I think something like this could work for Carolina (though they'd have to be very careful how they go about it):

Colonials-Tuskers-6310.jpg

I0000gDnvmM6IigU.jpg

5271428540_0f5e031be7_c.jpg

Of course, the the problem with going with that shell color (which I definitely wouldn't be opposed to) is thsg their current logo wasn't really designed for it, so it would need to be reworked (which it needs to anyway, because currently the cat looks like it's on its last sniff of PCP).

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The Tuskers looks is very close to what I want to do - Panthers blue helmet (it's not Carolina Blue, that's what UNC wears) with tapered shoulder hoops and pant stripes, blue socks only, white/black pants. My ideal primary set is Blue/Blue/White/Blue but if they want to stick with black primaries then I'm ok with that as well. There's actually a version of the logo with a full black stroke that you can see on the blue and white jerseys - the mothership doesn't have it for whatever reason and it's not on the fan jerseys but it is on the real one. It needs a rework anyway but for now it can stay, the important part is refining the jerseys. The elimination of silver would also eliminate the Lions comparisons, so do that as well.

untitled-design.jpg

38 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

How about something like this? Tapers the stripe, drops the logo but makes room for the TV numbers and the maker's mark.

cw8YfCE.png

I'd be perfectly fine with this, it does the tapered stripe look way better than the Jets do without looking too cluttered. This striping with a slightly more modern block font would be perfect.

• Like 3

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

56 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

How about something like this? Tapers the stripe, drops the logo but makes room for the TV numbers and the maker's mark.

I've been looking for this image ever since I saw it - this is exactly what I want. Maybe even move it closer to the shoulder and drop the numbers completely.

12 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

I'd be perfectly fine with this, it does the tapered stripe look way better than the Jets do without looking too cluttered. This striping with a slightly more modern block font would be perfect.

A modern block would be great, as long as it's block and not some god-awful "cat scratch" or italicized nonsense. Just a small cut would be enough to set it apart while sticking with the team's aesthetic tradition.

• Like 3