NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

@PERRIN

TBH I feel I have listened to people here give their opinions and I never said anybody was wrong. And not everything I was saying was purely subjective. Like when I said the Seahawks old colors do not go well they don't work in terms of color theory. Green is a secondary of blue and as such ends up being muddled. The green is also darker which brings the blue down which is suppose to be a bright royal blue. The shoulder logo is also overlapping itself which blurs the image. And team colors should fit the environment. The Miami Dolphins would look silly using black and gray because Miami is known for being sunny and vibrant. The aqua and orange are ripped straight from the beaches Miami is known for. Seattle is known for its lush forests and rainy weather. As such I think they work for the location better. This is also why I think the Pitt Panthers looked better with dark blue and gold than the new blue and yellow because Pittsburgh is known for being a blue collar city and as such, brighter colors don't really fit well. 

52 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

I disagree. Without the TV numbers they look way too empty and plain. The shoulder pads at huge and now there is just empty nothingness.

Empty isn't bad. Empty is this thing called restraint and knowing when to fill and when not to fill is the difference between good taste and bad taste. 

It is less egregious for the Chargers who have the  lightning bolt take up the shoulders but Id prefer the sleeve cap to have the numbers. Of course the Nike logo occupies it which is what matters the most. The bengals however just look unfinished. They don't fully embrace the tiger stripes.

Poppycock. They have a tiger striped helmet, tiger striped jerseys, and tiger striped pants. Anything more than that and they begin to look silly, as we saw with their 2004-2020 uniforms. 

I did not like their old uniforms but those had more going on and embraced the tiger stripes. These ones are cleaner and better, and I'd wear a new jersey over the old one but it crosses the line of boring. If they did something like this I'd be 100 percent for it 

JesseAlkire_CincinnatiBengals.jpg?format

Respectfully, that looks like total cat :censored: and would easily be the worst uniform they've ever worn. 

• Like 6
  • Dislike 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

1 minute ago, ripall90 said:

@PERRIN

TBH I feel I have listened to people here give their opinions and I never said anybody was wrong. And not everything I was saying was purely subjective. Like when I said the Seahawks old colors do not go well they don't work in terms of color theory. Green is a secondary of blue and as such ends up being muddled. The green is also darker which brings the blue down which is suppose to be a bright royal blue. The shoulder logo is also overlapping itself which blurs the image. And team colors should fit the environment. The Miami Dolphins would look silly using black and gray because Miami is known for being sunny and vibrant. The aqua and orange are ripped straight from the beaches Miami is known for. Seattle is known for its lush forests and rainy weather. As such I think they work for the location better. This is also why I think the Pitt Panthers looked better with dark blue and gold than the new blue and yellow because Pittsburgh is known for being a blue collar city and as such, brighter colors don't really fit well. 

Fair points, but I definitely find those to be subjective. Not every color scheme needs to adhere to a location, and not everyone would agree with the reasoning you suggested. The nature of the state's environment or reputation isn't necessarily important enough to reflect in a uniform. The Seattle team I have in my fictional league uses bright colors because they're called the Emeralds, there's no reason for me to shoehorn in certain colors just because of a region's stormy weather. Colors don't always need to align with the location, logos and other visual elements can carry the weight just fine. I'd rather colors fit the mascot well than the location, but ultimately it doesn't matter that much.

• Like 4

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

3 minutes ago, Sport said:

Empty isn't bad. Empty is this thing called restraint and knowing when to fill and when not to fill is the difference between good taste and bad taste. 

Poppycock. They have a tiger striped helmet, tiger striped jerseys, and tiger striped pants. Anything more than that and they begin to look silly, as we saw with their 2004-2020 uniforms. 

Respectfully, that looks like total cat :censored: and would easily be the worst uniform they've ever worn. 

There is a difference between restraint and boring. And yes the current bengals uniforms look unfinished. They have huge space used for nothing.

Sure they got stripes on the helmets, shoulders and pants but they aren't used in an artistic way or meant to give rhyme or rhythm. Let's just break it down they have just three little stripes on the sleeve and that is it. The pants are fine but the orange striped pants should have black in them. It is really just the jerseys that get me.

I don't know how I feel about the white jerseys having minimal orange. I'm someone who is generally against teams having two different colors schemes for home and away (giants, cowboys) but again the jersey just feels empty.  I do think I would've preferred having the sleeve cap be orange with the stripes than the black and white stripes. It is also defeated by the color rush which looks way better.

These are better than the last set but not by a huge amount. The old uniforms were too busy and 2000s, the new ones are too plain and 2010s/2020s. Like we always poke fun at over simplified logos but the NFL is joining too. 

You can disagree about Alkire's uniform but like I said I like how he embraces the striping and like the block numbers better

18 hours ago, Volt said:

The Patriots should never wear Navy over Navy again.

This is such an improvement and one I personally, like so many others here, have been calling for from the start of this uniform set.  

I hope they wear it with their White jerseys, too.  Quick test on Madden proves that it looks better than White over Navy (because, duh, their helmet is Silver).

Completely agree. These looked stellar! Now watch, they'll never wear them again because of the loss. LOL.

• Like 4

18 hours ago, Volt said:

I hope they wear it with their White jerseys, too.  Quick test on Madden proves that it looks better than White over Navy (because, duh, their helmet is Silver).

Let's not fix the pants pairing on the home by messing it up on the away. That look feels more Cowboys or Raiders to me. The navy pants with the white jersey feel very classic Patriots to me at this point; don't think we need white or silver pants there unless it's a throwback. 

12 minutes ago, PERRIN said:

Fair points, but I definitely find those to be subjective. Not every color scheme needs to adhere to a location, and not everyone would agree with the reasoning you suggested. The nature of the state's environment or reputation isn't necessarily important enough to reflect in a uniform. The Seattle team I have in my fictional league uses bright colors because they're called the Emeralds, there's no reason for me to shoehorn in certain colors just because of a region's stormy weather. Colors don't always need to align with the location, logos and other visual elements can carry the weight just fine. I'd rather colors fit the mascot well than the location, but ultimately it doesn't matter that much.

I understand and some teams do pull off doing color in a vacuum but to me the Seahawks did try to make the colors fit the environment and failed. And even if they were leaning into the native art inspiration there are better colors to use. Like this teal and red color scheme looks really interesting 

The-Art-Curator-for-Kids-Northwest-Coast

I also feel that my points about color theory is as best as I can get to "objectivity"

16 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

🤫 That's a better look that its been given credit for.

IMO -- that combo worked, to the extent that any of the "bone" collection works, because it downplays the Rams' current color clashes. The brightness of their royal blue and yellow serve to make the off-white color look dingy and it really gets too bleedingly obvious looking when there's so much blue in the uniform via the pants. I actually like the idea of a beige/off-white base color but it works with darker, more muted colors the way the SF Giants or Bucks have used it.

15 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

These are better than the last set but not by a huge amount.

They're basically the old set with all the bad :censored: removed. According to my calculations they're better by 671 CCSLC points, which is a huge amount. I crunched the numbers and that's just science, which you can't argue with. 

15 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

You can disagree about Alkire's uniform but like I said I like how he embraces the striping and like the block numbers better

I will disagree. It dials the stripes to 11, overwhelms the senses, doesn't provide a single visual focalpoint, overloads the color, and makes the players look like they're wearing cheesy superhero costumes. It's all the problems of the 2004-2020 uniforms, which were awful for all 17 seasons, made even sillier. Plus that chunky font is neither aesthetically pleasing nor fitting for a team named after feline predators.

• Like 1

PvO6ZWJ.png

20 minutes ago, Sport said:

They're basically the old set with all the bad :censored: removed. According to my calculations they're better by 671 CCSLC points, which is a huge amount. I crunched the numbers and that's just science, which you can't argue with. 

I will disagree. It dials the stripes to 11, overwhelms the senses, doesn't provide a single visual focalpoint, overloads the color, and makes the players look like they're wearing cheesy superhero costumes. It's all the problems of the 2004-2020 uniforms, which were awful for all 17 seasons, made even sillier. Plus that chunky font is neither aesthetically pleasing nor fitting for a team named after feline predators.

And dials it down to 1 now. And from what I saw on twitter everyone said they look like practice unis. 

I can understand the stripes being a bit much but I don't mind the striping being faded. And I don't see how the current numbers are fitting the "feline predator" aesthetic. I generally do not like rounded numbers and while this isn't the worst, I feel the block numbers match the Bengal's branding much better. I will say this, the outline/drop shadow could be slimmed down Alkire did make these in 2013 or whenever so he was clearly going off the uniforms of that time. I did link other uniform redesigns in this thread for the bengals that are simpler than Alkire's but better than the official unis 

25 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

I understand and some teams do pull off doing color in a vacuum but to me the Seahawks did try to make the colors fit the environment and failed. And even if they were leaning into the native art inspiration there are better colors to use. Like this teal and red color scheme looks really interesting 

I also feel that my points about color theory is as best as I can get to "objectivity"

I suspect these totem poles were the inspiration for the OG Vancouver Grizzlies’ colors. For what it’s worth, I loved the Seahawks’ original look. 

31 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

You say that while posting a picture using blue and green, which have been faded with weather and time. They would have been much more vibrant when initially painted

1 minute ago, dont care said:

You say that while posting a picture using blue and green, which have been faded with weather and time. They would have been much more vibrant when initially painted

First off, even if it would've been a brighter green I don't think it would be the same shade of green and even then the wear and tear can define a culture. Everything thinks rome was pearly white when in reality, statues were painted they just washed away over time

Here are other examples

eagle.jpgcoastsalishart.jpgil_fullxfull.2027702522_i8o3.jpgMy point remains, the lack of thick black outlines just makes the old seahawks uniforms feel superficial. 

14 minutes ago, ripall90 said:

And dials it down to 1 now. And from what I saw on twitter everyone said they look like practice unis. 

I can understand the stripes being a bit much but I don't mind the striping being faded. And I don't see how the current numbers are fitting the "feline predator" aesthetic. I generally do not like rounded numbers and while this isn't the worst, I feel the block numbers match the Bengal's branding much better. I will say this, the outline/drop shadow could be slimmed down Alkire did make these in 2013 or whenever so he was clearly going off the uniforms of that time. I did link other uniform redesigns in this thread for the bengals that are simpler than Alkire's but better than the official unis 

Using Twitter comments where anyone can pick and choose comments to support there narrative is bad form

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1