NFL 2022 Changes

simtek34

12 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

To be fair, there's a fundamental here that is an issue both San Francisco and Carolina have had: use of jersey real estate. 

For the 49ers, it was fitting the classic triple stripe on the sleeves -- which clearly would fit

For the Panthers, trying to retain their original uniform actually just doesn't fit on the modern template. The contrasting collar is gaudy, the sleeve swoops don't work, and the jersey is so crowded near the shoulders that their TV numbers are the size of a laptop sticker. 

In both instances, it's not the concept of design at question, but the application of it. Both are no-brainers. 

The issue with the Panthers is that they're trying to fit a TV number, a sleeve stripe AND a logo on the same sleeve cap. They can solve that issue by simply removing the logos from the sleeves and either moving the TV numbers under the stripes or moving the stripe down a little to retain the TV number. (Or removing the TV numbers altogether, though I personally wouldn't care for that option.)

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

The issue with the Panthers is that they're trying to fit a TV number, a sleeve stripe AND a logo on the same sleeve cap. They can solve that issue by simply removing the logos from the sleeves and either moving the TV numbers under the stripes or moving the stripe down a little to retain the TV number. (Or removing the TV numbers altogether, though I personally wouldn't care for that option.)

Precisely. There’s no need for a repeating logo when you have the same logo 6 inches above it on the helmet. For “tradition” ‘s sake, just move the stripes and numbers down.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Well, sorta. Except I can't remember the last time they just wore black jerseys and silver pants.  Instead, it's blue jerseys and white pants, or white jerseys and black pants, or some other stupid combination.  If they'd just wear their real uniform they'd be fine, but instead its a multi-matchy clown show.

I'm not as warm on the silver pants as you are. The blue color rush pants would be perfect with the black and white jerseys, especially if they ever switched to a blue helmet. I do agree that the black pants don't look good with either the black or white jerseys. They should be reserved exclusively for the blue jerseys.

14 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

To be fair, there's a fundamental here that is an issue both San Francisco and Carolina have had: use of jersey real estate. 

For the 49ers, it was fitting the classic triple stripe on the sleeves -- which clearly would fit

For the Panthers, trying to retain their original uniform actually just doesn't fit on the modern template. The contrasting collar is gaudy, the sleeve swoops don't work, and the jersey is so crowded near the shoulders that their TV numbers are the size of a laptop sticker. 

In both instances, it's not the concept of design at question, but the application of it. Both are no-brainers. 

The Panthers should just remove the TV numbers, problem solved. The shoulder stripes look great ever since they switched templates in 2019.

12 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Agreed. I like the swoops on the sleeve, but I think they can do one color instead of two. I know that won't solve the issue, but I think the Panthers are trying to walk that fine line of changing the uniform, but also not making drastic changes, like the Browns did.

I think the two color is what makes them pop, I'd hate to see that go.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

30 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Carolina would look a lot better removing the sleeve logos and moving the numbers onto the sleeves

Yeah this is my preferred solution. With the logo instead of the sleeve numbers we'd look too much like the Patriots and it would give the sleeve stripes so much room to breathe. The collar would look a lot better as well.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I think the only thing that really needs to stay on Carolina is the sleeve stripes. Frankly, I'm surprised the TV numbers have lasted as long as they have in their current form, considering how many new designs have emerged without them. 

The Chargers' shoulder stripe -- OK, it's a lightning bolt, which is just a fancy shoulder stripe -- works fine on its own. I don't know why the same couldn't be true for the Panthers. 

I mean, if you reduce the toilet-bowl collar and keep the sleeve stripes, is there really anything on these sleeves/shoulders you'd miss if they weren't there? 

spacer.png

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I think the only thing that really needs to stay on Carolina is the sleeve stripes. Frankly, I'm surprised the TV numbers have lasted as long as they have in their current form, considering how many new designs have emerged without them. 

The Chargers' shoulder stripe -- OK, it's a lightning bolt, which is just a fancy shoulder stripe -- works fine on its own, I don't know why the same couldn't be true for the Panthers. 

I mean, if you reduce the toilet-bowl collar and keep the sleeve stripes, is there really anything on these sleeves/shoulders you'd miss if they weren't there? 

spacer.png

What's strange is for replica jerseys they seem to shrink the collars, maybe going with a black collar with that little bit of blue at the top would work. 

Men's Carolina Panthers DJ Moore Nike Black Game Player Jersey

This is still the old template but there's no reason they can't color in the collar to give it that same width.

3 winners and 3 losers from the Carolina Panthers 2021 offseason

57 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Carolina would look a lot better removing the sleeve logos and moving the numbers onto the sleeves

I'm of the opposite opinion, I think keeping the logo and get rid of the numbers, but maybe by copying the 1998 Jaguars and using their full body logo, with the current face.

Carolina Panthers Alternate Logo - National Football League (NFL) - Chris  Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

• Dislike 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

27 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm of the opposite opinion, I think keeping the logo and get rid of the numbers, but maybe by copying the 1998 Jaguars and using their full body logo, with the current face.

Carolina Panthers Alternate Logo - National Football League (NFL) - Chris  Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

Absolutely not, this logo is god-awful. The panther head was not meant for a full-body logo.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

Noooooooo. The logo looks so good, the shape that it is works perfectly on a sleeve. It would be a travesty if they replaced that with some boxy numbers.

53 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

Yeah this is my preferred solution. With the logo instead of the sleeve numbers we'd look too much like the Patriots and it would give the sleeve stripes so much room to breathe. The collar would look a lot better as well.

We'd look like the Colts with the numbers.

• Like 2

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

Just now, throwuascenario said:

We'd look like the Colts with the numbers.

I disagree. The two-color pattern is distinct enough. The differing collar would also help. Similar yes, but not so similar that it would be a problem.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

Absolutely not, this logo is god-awful. The panther head was not meant for a full-body logo.

That's why I suggest something similar to the Jaguars which was longer than that Panthers logo, not necessarily using the old one and just swapping a head.

Jacksonville Jaguars Alternate Logo - National Football League (NFL) -  Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

Carolina Panthers News, Rumors, Scores, Schedule, Stats and Roster |  Panthers Wire

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

What's strange is for replica jerseys they seem to shrink the collars, maybe going with a black collar with that little bit of blue at the top would work. 

Men's Carolina Panthers DJ Moore Nike Black Game Player Jersey

This is still the old template but there's no reason they can't color in the collar to give it that same width.

3 winners and 3 losers from the Carolina Panthers 2021 offseason

The difference between the retail jerseys and doing what you suggested is the fact that the actual collar size wouldn’t get smaller, just the part that’s blue. The numbers still wouldn’t have room to breathe because the template is still the same, whether or not the collar is more black. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

The difference between the retail jerseys and doing what you suggested is the fact that the actual collar size wouldn’t get smaller, just the part that’s blue. The numbers still wouldn’t have room to breathe because the template is still the same, whether or not the collar is more black. 

That's what I mean, but if you set the numbers right up against the sleeve stripe, because of that amount of black on the collar, the numbers won't look scrunched, and you don't have to cut the size of them in half.  The way they are now they try to add black space between the collar and stripes and this would remove that need to create space by doing that. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

That's what I mean, but if you set the numbers right up against the sleeve stripe, because of that amount of black on the collar, the numbers won't look scrunched, and you don't have to cut the size of them in half.  The way they are now they try to add black space between the collar and stripes and this would remove that need to create space by doing that. 

Will Nike (or the NFL) allow that? If they do, cool. I just think is Nike sees nothing wrong with the numbers now, why would they bend the rules for them?

Yeah this isnt a hard one for me.

2004-DFCC-4475-4-E88-9-E47-AF4-E6-F3-CE8

Also, very confused by any support for the 9ers two-stripes?? Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Steve Young, Jerry Rice. This is what the 49ers look like. They spent over a decade as a very good looking uniform that was just missing something, and now theyre in the untouchable tier at the very top of the league. What more could you want?

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

Also, very confused by any support for the 9ers two-stripes?? Joe Montana, Ronnie Lott, Steve Young, Jerry Rice. This is what the 49ers look like. They spent over a decade as a very good looking uniform that was just missing something, and now theyre in the untouchable tier at the very top of the league. What more could you want?

Something about that just looks off. Maybe the stripes would need to be moved up more.

32 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

Seeing this and I'm even more convinced the TV numbers are unnecessary. There's just not enough real estate on those sleeves to justify putting anything there. I'd much rather see a simple black jersey that emphasizes those blue and silver sleeve stripes. 

• Like 7
  • Dislike 1