2022 International Soccer

MJWalker45

Good to get 3 points. Not really gonna celebrate beating up on Honduras, but now we’re one step closer to clinching a spot in the World Cup.

Running the numbers, the US needs Panama to lose one more time, and the US needs to also beat them and we’ll go to the World Cup. No matter if we lose to México or Costa Rica, we beat Panamá (coupled with one more loss on their end), and we’re gonna to the World Cup. 

EDIT: At least two Panama draws would also have the same outcome. 

• Like 1

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

If keepers can wear long pants and hats at will, I don’t know why adapting a QB pouch was a problem. Bizarre. If I was Matt Turner I would’ve worn that giant fleece jacket thing the whole time and called that my keeper kit.

fun to see 3 set piece goals. Classic USMNT performance. Try to reconceptualize what American soccer is all about, or whatever, but you’ll always come back home when you gotta.

• Like 1

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

And there we go. 

The US just needs to beat Panama at home on March 27th, and they’re going to the World Cup.

Canada needs just two more points, or a Panama loss/draw, and they’re also going to the World Cup.

• Like 3

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

8 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Can you imagine CANADA in the knockout round? Good heavens.

If they set up brackets based on where you qualified for the World Cup I could see them get a great draw. I'm pretty sure they'll end up in a group of death because of previous campaigns. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

If they set up brackets based on where you qualified for the World Cup I could see them get a great draw. I'm pretty sure they'll end up in a group of death because of previous campaigns. 

That was my exact thought . Yes, top the qualifying round.... but end up being the same group as Brazil and Portugal or Italy. 😅

• Like 2

I saw, I came, I left.

• 4 weeks later...

Russian men out of World Cup qualifying, and Russian women kicked out of European Championships today. UEFA hasn't said how they'll go about replacing Russia, who beat Portugal 1-0 over two legs in the playoffs the women's Euros this summer.  Any club teams that were still in Europe also kicked out. Spartak Moscow was the last one left, now RB Leipzig get a bye into the quarterfinals rather than playing Spartak's last opponent. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-europa-league/story/4605670/uefa-removes-russian-teams-from-all-competitions-following-ukraine-invasion

• WOAH 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

40 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Russian men out of World Cup qualifying, and Russian women kicked out of European Championships today. UEFA hasn't said how they'll go about replacing Russia, who beat Portugal 1-0 over two legs in the playoffs the women's Euros this summer.  Any club teams that were still in Europe also kicked out. Spartak Moscow was the last one left, now RB Leipzig get a bye into the quarterfinals rather than playing Spartak's last opponent. 

https://www.espn.com/soccer/uefa-europa-league/story/4605670/uefa-removes-russian-teams-from-all-competitions-following-ukraine-invasion

In my mind, the fairest way to replace Russia in World Cup qualifying is either Slovakia (the team that Russia beat out for third) or Hungary (the next best Nations League group winner).

For the women, maybe a one-off between Portugal and the Czechs?

• Like 1

LvZYtbZ.png

Just now, WJMorris3 said:

In my mind, the fairest way to replace Russia in World Cup qualifying is either Slovakia (the team that Russia beat out for third) or Hungary (the next best Nations League group winner).

I wonder if they also consider a round robin for the men's teams instead of moving another team up? For the women, a one off could be done in April/May timeframe to fill that spot. I'd expect they just bring in Portugal due to having a significantly higher ranking than the Czech Republic. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The exact implications for this aren't know yet, but I have the feeling that they might put Slovakia in since they already have the two Nation Leagues winners in the field in the form of Austria and the Czech Republic.

Or, they could throw a massive curve ball and give Poland a bye to the pod final.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:10 PM, WJMorris3 said:

https://theathletic.com/news/russia-out-of-womens-euros-in-england-uefa-president-aleksander-ceferin/8hQOtYO4VbkK/

So it looks like they'll be drawing lots to replace Russia. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...

Final three WC Qualifier matches this week and next. Here's the USMNT schedule.
24-Mar: at Mexico

27-Mar: vs. Panama

30-Mar: at Costa Rica

I would be happy with a 1-1-1 split, but have a strange feeling they will end up 0-2D-1L (Mexico)?

I fear that if they go 0-3D-0 or 0-0-3L then they miss the World Cup - again. That would be horrible!

• Like 1

Getting a point against Mexico will be important since both teams are fighting for the other two spots into the World Cup. That'll make the other two games easier since both Panama and Costa Rica are fighting for 4th place, which would be a spot in the playoffs against whoever survives the absolute crap shoot that is Oceania.

A win over Mexico all but assures the US is getting in. A loss means Mexico's road is all but assured (their last two games are at Honduras and vs. El Salvador) while the US is pressing the panic button.

12 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Getting a point against Mexico will be important since both teams are fighting for the other two spots into the World Cup. That'll make the other two games easier since both Panama and Costa Rica are fighting for 4th place, which would be a spot in the playoffs against whoever survives the absolute crap shoot that is Oceania.

A win over Mexico all but assures the US is getting in. A loss means Mexico's road is all but assured (their last two games are at Honduras and vs. El Salvador) while the US is pressing the panic button.

Usually it's New Zealand out of OFC. However, the Solomon Islands or Tahiti might upset them this time around.

I say it's a crap shoot because it's been a mess for the OFC.

After being held up twice thanks to COVID-19, the organization settled on a simple 9 team tournament in Qatar just to make it work... well, it hasn't worked that well.

Tonga withdrew before their qualifier against the Cook Islands after the underwater volcano erupted. Then, you have COVID-19 outbreaks causing both Vanuatu and the Cook Islands to withdraw from the tournament giving both Tahiti and the Solomon Islands a free semifinal berth.

That's just Group A. Group B has been very calm and problem free.

• Like 1

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/60854918

Ada Hegerberg is returning to the Norway women's team ahead of World Cup 2023 qualifying. She's been out of the team for 5 years. 

Ukraine vs Scotland has been moved to June for the 2022 World Cup playoffs.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-world-cup-qualifying-uefa/story/4612086/scotland-vs-ukraine-world-cup-playoff-postponed

Concacaf starts the last round of qualifying tonight with USA at Mexico. Azteca, which is capped at 50,000 fans

https://bolavip.com/en/soccer/mexico-vs-usmnt-how-many-people-will-be-able-to-attend-the-estadio-azteca-20220322-0028.html

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png