International Club Soccer 2022-2023

MJWalker45

Marsch for USMNT would be insane. All the flaws of Berhalter around having a "system" but no plan B when things go sideways...except in Jesse's case the "system" is even less suited for the national team's player pool. Naturally the dinguses on Reddit are already chiming in with "anyone is better than GGG at this point".

Not really understanding why you make moves for your manager only to can him 3 days after the transfer window closes. Feels like wavering for this long on which lane you want to pick never ends well for a club like Leeds.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Digby said:

Marsch for USMNT would be insane. All the flaws of Berhalter around having a "system" but no plan B when things go sideways...except in Jesse's case the "system" is even less suited for the national team's player pool. Naturally the dinguses on Reddit are already chiming in with "anyone is better than GGG at this point".

Not really understanding why you make moves for your manager only to can him 3 days after the transfer window closes. Feels like wavering for this long on which lane you want to pick never ends well for a club like Leeds.

I think they know that a draw against Man United would possibly see them drop into relegation, but with 17-18 games left to play it's not like they wouldn't have chances to get out of trouble. Patrick Bamford has been worthless this season and the new guys haven't had a chance to play significant minutes either.  I look at who's around them and Everton, West Ham and Wolves will likely survive, that leaves them to fight with Leicester City, Bournemouth, and Southampton to avoid the drop if those three teams mentioned avoid relegation. Leicester is in much better shape though and that may be why they pulled the trigger now instead of waiting for things to change. I expect we'll probably see a really 

As far as the USMNT head coach, I don't think we'll see any actual decisions until April at the earliest. Gold Cup is this year, but I'd expect it to be mostly MLS players this year since Copa America is the real tournament they'll want to play in next summer. Reportedly, USA, Canada,  and Mexico have to qualify instead of getting automatically added to the tournament. They'll also want the GM to hire the manager instead of making them work with someone they didn't pick. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

27 minutes ago, Digby said:

I've never understood this either. It seems like not only a waste of assets, but you're also handicapping a new manager with decisions he might have made differently.

I know results are what keep a manager employed, but I really liked the culture Marsch seemed to be building at Leeds. He had good energy, I guess.  

10 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I've never understood this either. It seems like not only a waste of assets, but you're also handicapping a new manager with decisions he might have made differently.

I know results are what keep a manager employed, but I really liked the culture Marsch seemed to be building at Leeds. He had good energy, I guess.  

He also wasn't giving up 6-7 goals against the top 6 like Bielsa was. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

https://www.bbc.com/sport/africa/64552881

Some good news from Turkey, after several players were reported missing after the earthquakes. Unfortuantely there are people still in the rubble at the training complex. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/64556617

And Hungarian footballer Willi Orban is donating blood cells after being matched with a cancer patient. 

Update: Unfortunately the original report on Atsu was false. He was found in the rubble overnight.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 2/4/2023 at 12:23 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Hell yeah, MLS in FIFA Club World Cup today!

On 2/4/2023 at 2:16 PM, DG_ThenNowForever said:

And they blew it.

Oh well.

All that effort for the Sounders to win the CONCACAF Champions League was completely wasted.  I hope MLS has a better representative at the Club World Cup in 2025.

More importantly, I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet, Premier League charges Manchester City over alleged financial rule breaches | Manchester City | The Guardian.

Just now, BrySmalls said:

All that effort for the Sounders to win the CONCACAF Champions League was completely wasted.  I hope MLS has a better representative at the Club World Cup in 2025.

That's ridiculous. Winning the CCL is a huge accomplishment.

No reasonable person expected significant performance in the CWC. That was just a bonus.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

That's ridiculous. Winning the CCL is a huge accomplishment.

No reasonable person expected significant performance in the CWC. That was just a bonus.

The CCL win also snapped the Sounders record playoff appearance streak.

Also, this article jinxed it, Seattle Sounders could face Real Madrid: 2022 FIFA Club World Cup draw results | MLSSoccer.com.

9 minutes ago, BrySmalls said:

The CCL win also snapped the Sounders record playoff appearance streak.

Also, this article jinxed it, Seattle Sounders could face Real Madrid: 2022 FIFA Club World Cup draw results | MLSSoccer.com.

Every outlet putting them in the semis when they were playing a team that has had half a season under their belts was rather stupid too. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Winning the CCL was worth all of it.

If Leicester City won UEFA Champions League, but then finished mid-table and flamed out of CWC was the UCL worth it? Of course it was. Same with Sounders. It's not even a debate. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Winning the CCL was worth all of it.

If Leicester City won UEFA Champions League, but then finished mid-table and flamed out of CWC was the UCL worth it? Of course it was. Same with Sounders. It's not even a debate. 

I am interested to see  what happens with the next five editions of the CCL. If MLS wins four or all five of them, it would validate Seattle's role as the driving force behind MLS clubs taking the CCL seriously. However, I have concerns that Liga MX clubs will regain control of the CCL.

• Like 1

Qatar preparing a bid to buy Manchester United

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/sports/qatari-investors-set-bid-manchester-united-daily-mail-2023-02-08/

Harsh and I mean HARSH penalties for Man City might happen for hundreds of violations (as in point deduction, expulsion from Premier League and possibly sent down to 5th level similar to what happened to Glasgow Rangers in 2012)

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12805301/relegation-titles-fines-latest-on-manchester-citys-unprecedented-charges

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Amnesty International is already warning the Premier League about letting them bid. We already know their rules for letting only respectable people buy in to the league is pretty suspect. I'm a United fan and I know the amount of work that needs done at United, in regards to the stadium, training facilities and other issues that the Glazers have kicked down the road, but I still don't know how I'll feel if they buy the club.

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Harsh and I mean HARSH penalties for Man City might happen for hundreds of violations (as in point deduction, expulsion from Premier League and possibly sent down to 5th level similar to what happened to Glasgow Rangers in 2012)

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/12805301/relegation-titles-fines-latest-on-manchester-citys-unprecedented-charges

I've said this elsewhere, but I don't think we'll see them get the Rangers treatment. Because if they have been cooking the books and finding ways to possible overpay coaches, I'm sure there are at least 4 other Top 6 teams, mine included, that were probably doing something similar over the years. I think a huge fine, points deductions, transfer window bans and other financial limits may be the limit of what happens. I don't think they'd be stripped of titles, but if they were to be it's interesting that Liverpool and Manchester United would each gain three more titles, including the 2011-2012 title for United that was lost at the very last kick of the season. There are plenty of fans saying they don't want to claim those titles, and it would be really strange to say that instead of a decade since their last league title Manchester United won the league in 2016-2017 and Liverpool didn't have to wait 30 years between trophies. 

33 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Maybe this gets Pep to USMNT.

I would love this to happen, but I think it's more likely he takes on a job like Juventus, either of the Milan teams, or even back to his old club Barcelona where to some extent he can still get top talent, rather than coming to a national team. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png