2022 NFL regular season through Super Bowl LVII

Not the most knowledgeable when it comes to NFL history, but has there ever been a bigger fluke than Nick Foles? 
And I’m not talking about a guy with one great year and then he disappears. I’m asking about a guy who has had major success with one team, then got multiple(!) chances elsewhere to replicate that and fails miserably.

Merry Christmas Cowboys and Vikings fans.  Eagles lose potential HOFer Lane Johnson for at least the rest of regular season.  Arguably, along with Jason Kelce, as impactful as losing Jalen Hurts.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

50 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Maybe Jeff Saturday is the worst NFL coach in history.

This tweet, then going out and beating the Raiders, forever eliminates Saturday from the "worst ever" discussion.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

6uXNWAo.png

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Not the most knowledgeable when it comes to NFL history, but has there ever been a bigger fluke than Nick Foles? 
And I’m not talking about a guy with one great year and then he disappears. I’m asking about a guy who has had major success with one team, then got multiple(!) chances elsewhere to replicate that and fails miserably.

I'd argue that Foles had "major" success for just a few games. The only reason he had that run in 2017 is because Carson Wentz was injured in week 14 of that season.  Foles isn't unusual. Remember Matt Flynn? Scott Mitchell? Kelly Holcomb? I'm sure there are many others.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

2 hours ago, DoctorWhom said:

I just can't understand how anyone can believe he's "The worst head coach ever" when you have guys like Urban Meyer, Hue Jackson, Freddie Kitchens, Adam Gase, Jeff Saturday is working his way up there, throw in Matt Patricia & Josh McDaniels as well. 

Now how many of those guys you listed started out with the amount of talent Hackett inherited? Perhaps just Josh McDaniels (both in DEN and LV). McDaniels started out 6-0 while in Denver. Hackett didn't even get to 6 wins.

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

1 minute ago, Cujo said:

Now how many of those guys you listed started out with the amount of talent Hackett inherited? Perhaps just Josh McDaniels (both in DEN and LV). McDaniels started out 6-0 while in Denver. Hackett didn't even get to 6 wins.

What talent? A washed up Russell Wilson? 

That have a top defense, but all the talk about the offense being so great was predicated on them having a good QB.  

1 hour ago, infrared41 said:

I'd argue that Foles had "major" success for just a few games. The only reason he had that run in 2017 is because Carson Wentz was injured in week 14 of that season.  Foles isn't unusual. Remember Matt Flynn? Scott Mitchell? Kelly Holcomb? I'm sure there are many others.

In 2013 he had a 27TD/2INT season and went 8-2. One and done in the playoffs but he had a pretty good game and they lost on a last second FG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, infrared41 said:

7 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

In 2013 he had a 27TD/2INT season and went 8-2. One and done in the playoffs but he had a pretty good game and they lost on a last second FG

This is true.  He left the field in that wild card game with the lead, and the special teams blew it otherwise he gets a win.  He also has a display in the HOF for tying the record for TDs in a game.  I'm not totally sure that I agree with the Scott Mitchell / Matt Flynn comparisons, as Foles had had success in three distinct seasons (people forget that he got the Eagles to the playoffs in 2018 as well, and threw what would have been the winning pass had the receiver not flat-out dropped the ball), but he'll go down as nothing but a mediocre QB that had success in one city and nowhere else - which is odd, because his success came under three different HCs so it can't even be linked to any particular system.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

As for worst HC, I'm old enough to remember Ray Handley and Richie Petitbon, who replaced Bill Parcells 1.0 and Joe Gibbs 1.0 respectively, and were widely mocked and eventually fired after a season for baffling decisions and general incompetence.  

They're at least in the discussion.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

I'm not totally sure that I agree with the Scott Mitchell / Matt Flynn comparisons,

It wasn't meant as a straight up statistical comparison. Flynn and Mitchell were just examples of other mediocre QBs who had some success in one city and nowhere else.

BB52Big.jpg

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

It wasn't meant as a straight up statistical comparison. Flynn and Mitchell were just examples of other mediocre QBs who had some success in one city and nowhere else.

I guess I was looking at it as that Flynn and Mitchell each had success for a small part of a single season while backing up a superstar, at a time when it was thought (mostly IMO due to how Brett Favre and Mark Brunell were identified as potential stars that were just stuck as backups on their current teams) that superstar backups that had success could repeat that anywhere, when the reality is that (if my memory serves me... which is no guarantee) they had fewer than a handful of good starts and then got paid.

So while it's true that they're similar in that they only had success in one city and nowhere else, I'm simply adding the distinction to Foles that the difference is in the sample size, including three separate seasons of strong playoff play, in said city.  But i get your point.

I never watched much Houston Texans football so I don't have much fondness or appreciation for JJ Watt one way or the other. Seemed like a guy that cultivated great relationships with media and it showed in how he was described during national games, even when it feels like he's been kind of cooked for a few years now.

Also, JJ Watt chose the wrong team post-Houston and should have gone elsewhere. I forget which teams he was considering, but Arizona seemed like the obviously wrong choice at the time if he was looking to win.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

24 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Also, JJ Watt chose the wrong team post-Houston and should have gone elsewhere. I forget which teams he was considering, but Arizona seemed like the obviously wrong choice at the time if he was looking to win.

If memory serves, his options were kind of limited. It wasn't like teams were lining up to pay a bunch of money to a 9 year veteran D-Lineman with a history of injuries. I remember there was talk of him signing with the Browns and I thought it was a bad idea. He went to the team that was willing to pay what he wanted. Good for him.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg