MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (White Sox and Yankees Added 24/24)

Djruggs

So, it's been over 2 and a half years since my last thread, but I recently gained a bit of inspiration to make some changes to how I would prefer to see some teams look. In this thread, I won't be changing every team's uniforms just for the sake of changing them, but I may be adding alternates or changes to part of the uniform set for teams that I feel have great existing looks.

As you can see from the title, I'm not even touching many teams, but if by the time I've completed my list, some of you have some requests, I'd be happy to mock something up.

As a fair warning, I like sleeve cuffs on baseball jerseys.

As always, C&C is always welcome and encouraged.

The following teams will be as follows in no particular order:

To start off this series, let's go ahead and go with the Houston Astros. 

For the Astros, I wanted to build off their City Connect look and make a more traditional look based off the new elements that Nike introduced.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 15
  • Applause 2

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Astros Added 1/24)

Up next, we have the Angels. 

I think we can all agree that their City Connect uniform was a colossal upgrade over their current set, but I don't think it was perfect. I wanted to further reincorporate the navy blue that was lost over the years.

As always, C&C is welcome and appreciated.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 3

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Angels Added 2/24)
On 7/16/2022 at 6:06 PM, Djruggs said:

So, it's been over 2 and a half years since my last thread, but I recently gained a bit of inspiration to make some changes to how I would prefer to see some teams look. In this thread, I won't be changing every team's uniforms just for the sake of changing them, but I may be adding alternates or changes to part of the uniform set for teams that I feel have great existing looks.

As you can see from the title, I'm not even touching many teams, but if by the time I've completed my list, some of you have some requests, I'd be happy to mock something up.

As a fair warning, I like sleeve cuffs on baseball jerseys.

As always, C&C is always welcome and encouraged.

The following teams will be as follows in no particular order:

• A's (full set)
  • Angels (full set)
  • Astros (full set)
  • Blue Jays (alternates)
  • Cardinals (tweaks)
  • Cubs (tweaks)
  • Diamondbacks (full set)
  • Dodgers (tweaks)
  • Expos (full set)
  • Guardians (full set)
  • Mariners (full set)
  • Marlins (full set)
  • Mets (tweaks)
  • Nationals (full set)
  • Pirates (full set)
  • Rays (full set)
  • Red Sox (semi-full set)
  • Reds (full set)
  • Rockies (full set)
  • Royals (full set)
  • Tigers (tweaks)
  • Twins (full set)
  • White Sox (alternates)
  • Yankees (Alternates)

To start off this series, let's go ahead and go with the Houston Astros. 

For the Astros, I wanted to build off their City Connect look and make a more traditional look based off the new elements that Nike introduced.

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Yesterday I saw verlander’s NOB look super awkward in that font/size. I kinda think a player might be aesthetically up a creek if they have (say) more than 7-8 letters in their name. Does the impact, for you, go away if a more practical font gets used?

Btw I like the idea, love the execution 

26 minutes ago, woody86 said:

Yesterday I saw verlander’s NOB look super awkward in that font/size. I kinda think a player might be aesthetically up a creek if they have (say) more than 7-8 letters in their name. Does the impact, for you, go away if a more practical font gets used?

Btw I like the idea, love the execution 

Thank you, first and foremost.

I don't think it ends up being that big of a problem since long names have historically been a problem for more traditional fonts as well (see below).

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

2 minutes ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

Both of these look great. The only thing that isn’t working for me is the Angels grey look. The cream on the socks and hat look out of place there. Otherwise A+!

Thank you!

I thought about that, but I didn't see the need to include a secondary stirrup design just for the away uniforms (there's no guarantee the players would even wear their pants up anyway lol) and I also made sure to include a bit of the cream in the recolored halo and the outline of the back numbers so it wasn't completely out of place.

I think a way to remedy the issue with the greys for the Angels would be to just make their homes white and their roads cream. I know you've avoided white in the concept overall but I think the addition of white in some cases would make a lot of it pop

I'm taking into account some of the C&C for the Angels and playing around with it, but in the meantime, the next team up is the Cleveland Guardians.

I thought they did a nice job keeping the rebrand familiar, but I wanted to add a bit more color to their uniforms, as well as play around with the script away uniforms.

As always, C&C is always appreciated.

• Like 8

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Guardians Added 3/24)

Up next we have the Colorado Rockies.

Their current set is fine, albeit a bit bland. I wanted to relegate black to an accent color and have the team embrace more purple in the uniforms. I also wanted to incorporate the mountains from their City Connect uniforms in a less gaudy fashion.

• Like 12

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Rockies Added 4/24)

I really like how this series is starting off! To comment on the teams you’ve shown to this point:

• Houston looks great. I like how you made them orange-heavy, while keeping their look traditional. I think they could afford to drop the headspoon piping, but that’s more personal preference.
  • Focusing the Angels around their City uniform looks nice, too. I agree with @ZapRowsdower8 though that the off-white clashes with the away jersey. I would maybe add a gray front-paneled cap, though you could probably keep the socks the same. Or, might I suggest adding a color like athletic gold into the palette? That way, you could keep the halo color consistent across uniforms, while also avoiding having to bring the off-white into the away jersey. I’d drop the navy jersey from the set, too, but that’s your call.
  • The Guardians look great! I really like the attempt to make a matching “Cleveland” script, my only gripe is that using the cap logo for the “C” looks out of place. Maybe you could make a “C” based off of the “G” of the home wordmark?
  • The Rockies look great, as well. I really like putting the City mountain on the sleeves. I think that since there’s no black to be seen on the home & away jerseys, you could afford to drop black entirely, sticking to purple, gray, & white, which is something I’ve done for them recently.

This series is off to a great start, I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of your designs!

These designs are pretty good, The Halos look good with the return of Navy and getting shot of the black for the Rockies was the right call. I do think that you could do a lot more with the Stirrups - all solid colour apart from the Angels when there is a lot of potential for logos, stripes and other cool stuff.

2 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I really like how this series is starting off! To comment on the teams you’ve shown to this point:

• Houston looks great. I like how you made them orange-heavy, while keeping their look traditional. I think they could afford to drop the headspoon piping, but that’s more personal preference.
  • Focusing the Angels around their City uniform looks nice, too. I agree with @ZapRowsdower8 though that the off-white clashes with the away jersey. I would maybe add a gray front-paneled cap, though you could probably keep the socks the same. Or, might I suggest adding a color like athletic gold into the palette? That way, you could keep the halo color consistent across uniforms, while also avoiding having to bring the off-white into the away jersey. I’d drop the navy jersey from the set, too, but that’s your call.
  • The Guardians look great! I really like the attempt to make a matching “Cleveland” script, my only gripe is that using the cap logo for the “C” looks out of place. Maybe you could make a “C” based off of the “G” of the home wordmark?
  • The Rockies look great, as well. I really like putting the City mountain on the sleeves. I think that since there’s no black to be seen on the home & away jerseys, you could afford to drop black entirely, sticking to purple, gray, & white, which is something I’ve done for them recently.

This series is off to a great start, I’m looking forward to seeing the rest of your designs!

Thank you! I'm pretty content with how Houston and Colorado look. I thought about getting rid of the black entirely, but I know a lot of Rockies fans are pretty fond of their black vests, so I didn't want to completely get rid of the option.

For the Angels, I'm fairly committed to the cream being a prominent color, but I think I found a decent workaround with the away uniforms and made a pretty drastic change to the blue uniform (sorry, I like them and wish they didn't completely abandon their California and Anaheim angel roots lol)

spacer.pngspacer.png

As for the Guardians, I think I found a fair compromise with the Cleveland script by just slanting the cap C to match the angle of the existing script.

spacer.pngspacer.png

1 hour ago, VampyrRabbitDesign said:

These designs are pretty good, The Halos look good with the return of Navy and getting shot of the black for the Rockies was the right call. I do think that you could do a lot more with the Stirrups - all solid colour apart from the Angels when there is a lot of potential for logos, stripes and other cool stuff.

I understand your frustration with stripes/designs (or lack there of) on the stirrups, but I do have a few other teams in the pipeline with some more going on down there. With that being said, I might be a bit old school and tend to hate the over designed Stance sock trend seen around the league these days, so I don't plan on forcing gaudy stirrups where I don't really see the need.

• Like 5

Up next, we have a pretty straight forward set of tweaks for the Red Sox. The home uniform is pretty untouchable at this point, but I wanted to bring back the classic stirrups across the board. For the away and alternate uniforms, they suffer from a case of blandness, so I brought back the 90s/early 00s sleeve piping on the away jersey and added some sleeve cuffs on the alts.

As always, C&C greatly appreciated. 

• Like 3

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Red Sox Added 5/24)

I didn't have much going on today, so I'm gonna double post.

Up next we have the A's. For Oakland, I wanted to combine a bit of old and new while drawing inspiration from their kelly green alternates.

• Like 4

• Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Red Sox and A's Added 6/24)
  • Djruggs changed the title to MLB Redesigns and Tweaks (Diamondbacks Added 7/24)
2 hours ago, johne9109 said:

I prefer their current colors, but this is a good set

Yeah that's totally fair, I just personally prefer their old colors and think there are far too many red (and blue) teams in the league as it is, so I wanted to bring back the old colors.

• Like 1

Changing the D-Backs colors was an interesting idea, but honestly I think it's a lateral move. It doesn't really add anything to the look. If you're gonna go the route of changing the colors, fully embrace the throwback look. The pinstriped vests unis that they wore during the early 2000's is really their consequential look IMO. 

One thing I think could work really well for them, would be to use more sand/tan in their uniforms like their City Connect jerseys. Sand really fits the vibe of a desert town like Phoenix. I would also drop the "DBACKS" wordmark from the look completely and just use the A logo like on their alternates. It looks way cleaner. 

Good start to your series overall though! Love what ya did with Houston and Cleveland especially.

• Like 1

The D-Backs' current unis look really sharp in their classic colors. I agree with @mahnkej that you should incorporate sand as a replacement for copper and also have it replace white in the the inserts of the scripts and numbers. 

Having said that, I disagree about the need for pinstripes. The D-Backs have now been a non-pinstriped team longer than they were a pinstriped one, and I think the Rockies own the purple with pinstripes look. Of course, if Colorado ever decided to move away from pins, that look would be up for grabs.

Great job on the other teams you've done, as well! The new "Cleveland" script for the Guardians is very well done. I also really like what you did with the Astros and Angels. Count me in as someone else who feels the Angels City Connect uniform would be the perfect basis of an eventual Angels redesign.