MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

22 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

So Paul and Ringo better not pose for any pictures in connection with the 60th anniversary of the Beatles' first album.  Egad.

You’re moving the goal posts and/or arguing in bad faith.

I’m not saying Reggie Jackson and Derek Jeter can’t take pictures with an old photo of old Yankee Stadium in their hands. That’s fine…they’re celebrating the  original relic. If they celebrated by holding a picture of new Yankee Stadium, then it wouldn’t make much sense. 

If Paul. and Ringo made an album with two other musicians tomorrow it wouldn’t really be The Beatles. If Ringo and Paul were in a picture with four members of a Beatles cover band with the title “60th Anniversary of the Beatles first album” everyone would ask why the cover band was included. 

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

19 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

You’re moving the goal posts and/or arguing in bad faith.

In the end, you're vastly overthinking it.  The old stadium is in the logo.  Some social media person stitched together a photo of the two stadiums to show that the old one's look and meaning were emulated in the building of the new one.  They basically wanted to build a new one across the street (with many more money-making amenities).

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

3 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

The old stadium is in the logo.  Some social media person stitched together a photo of the two stadiums to show that the old one's look and meaning were emulated in the building of the new one. 

Right.  The current version of Yankee Stadium was explicitly designed to resemble the pre-renovation look of the original Stadium.  (Not to mention that it has the same bloody name.)  So pairing the 1923 Stadium and the 2023 Stadium in a picture on the anniversary of the opening of the original Stadium is perfectly appropriate.

To even think to complain about this is bizarre.

• Like 1

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

9 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

In the end, you're vastly overthinking it.  The old stadium is in the logo.  Some social media person stitched together a photo of the two stadiums to show that the old one's look and meaning were emulated in the building of the new one.  They basically wanted to build a new one across the street (with many more money-making amenities).

That’s not what’s implied at first glance though. It’s a rare clumsy move from the Yanks. 

If the White Sox celebrated the 85th anniversary of Comiskey Park in 1995  by stitching together the old and new park, people would still say the new park has very little to do with the old one and the old one didn’t last 85 years. 

• Like 1

Let’s take their tweet at face value.

”100 years at home.” Does that happen without Yankee Stadium V2? The way they have phrased it suggests there has been a continuation of the original ballpark, when it has in fact long since been demolished. This would have been better received if they “looked back on decades of Yankee Stadium V1 history 100 years after opening.” But no, they instead chose to go the route of saying they’ve been “playing at home for 100 years.” Poorly thought out.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

It's the 100th anniversary of a Yankee Stadium (though not 100 seasons since you'd have to exclude the few years that the OG was being "lol renovated".)

The image is disingenuous and strongly implies that the current is the original.  While it is in spirit, it's not.  If they want to celebrate the original stadiums birthday, then that's totally fine - it's kinda like how we celebrate President's day hundreds of years after GW and Lincoln died.  

They could very easily pull this off and have whatever celebrations they want, in the current stadium, without pretending that it's the original.  This isn't even a "Ship of Prometheus" thing.  The only thing they share is the name, and that changes the day that the Yankees sell out to an advertiser (they've already caved on 90% of their other hard-line stances.)

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

39 minutes ago, bowld said:

This will take awhile to get used to 

spacer.png

This entire sequence has made me despise the city of Las Vegas. They have had a boatload of sports teams just handed to them in just the past 5 years at the expense of far more dedicated fans in Oakland. They don't deserve this. They just don't.

• Like 9
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, namefornamesake said:

This entire sequence has made me despise the city of Las Vegas. They have had a boatload of sports teams just handed to them in just the past 5 years at the expense of far more dedicated fans in Oakland. They don't deserve this. They just don't.

I usually agree but the A's have tried to get a stadium done in Oakland for almost 20 years. Hell the Raiders had been trying since before their first move to Los Angeles. Just an uncooperative city and state for professional sports. 

• Like 7
  • Dislike 2

17 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

1. It's 100 years since Yankee Stadium I opened.

2. It's 100 years that they've called 151st and River their "home".

3. It's 100 years that they've played in a ballpark named "Yankee Stadium".

Like I said, as far as I've seen words from official sources never seem to phrase it in a way that explicitly say their current building is 100 years old.  The celebration is of the anniversary of their move into their own ballpark and their standing on their legs as a franchise.

"The Braves have an Atlanta address"

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

2 hours ago, bowld said:

spacer.png

William and Mary had/maybe still has dark green hats with Vegas gold accents…and they looked pretty good. Though I hope the A’s continue with green and athletic yellow, wouldn’t be shocked if they changed the shade. 

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

William and Mary had/maybe still has dark green hats with Vegas gold accents…and they looked pretty good. Though I hope the A’s continue with green and athletic yellow, wouldn’t be shocked if they changed the shade. 

They'd just keep it the same or lighten it, but CALL it "Vegas Gold".

• Like 3

9 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

”100 years at home.” Does that happen without Yankee Stadium V2? The way they have phrased it suggests there has been a continuation of the original ballpark, when it has in fact long since been demolished. This would have been better received if they “looked back on decades of Yankee Stadium V1 history 100 years after opening.” But no, they instead chose to go the route of saying they’ve been “playing at home for 100 years.” Poorly thought out.

If it is ONLY the patch, it's ok, because the patch is correct. Given the way they unveiled it with '100 Years at home' is wrong, because they haven't been 'there' for '100' years.

• Like 2

It's where I sit.

2 hours ago, namefornamesake said:

I mean, the Raiders were going to move to anywhere else by 2030 no matter what. 

A number of local Oakland groups didn’t want a new A’s stadium in any scenario and hey congrats to them for pushing the team out of the state. Mission accomplished!

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

On 4/18/2023 at 6:54 PM, Ridleylash said:

Well, it's a good thing the Twins have a giant, hard-to-miss sign of Minnie and Paul right above the Target Field logo, so they're still a very hard to miss element of the brand;

spacer.png

The problem with them as a jersey logo is that the logo just doesn't scale well; the amount of detail at the bottom is a lot for a tiny patch, and this isn't hockey where you can just slap a big logo on the center of your jersey. The state outline patch is much easier to scale and is more legible from a distance.

Don't care about distance.

If you have the jersey, you can look at  it and see it just fine.

By your logic, half the sleeve patches are useless.

2 hours ago, bowld said:

spacer.png

Unfortunately it does not look bad, and "A's" ?

Like the playing card.... used a lot there. Pretty good fit.......

Disgusting that the A's have such cheap owners, made the A's info a farm team/joke.

are they really moving to Vegas?

1 minute ago, adsarebad said:

Unfortunately it does not look bad, and "A's" ?

Like the playing card.... used a lot there. Pretty good fit.......

Disgusting that the A's have such cheap owners, made the A's info a farm team/joke.

are they really moving to Vegas?

Yes, bought the land to build stadium. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

Let me add to my previous list of ways nothing said during this celebration is technically incorrect, zeroing in on the phrase you're stuck on...

4. It's 100 years since they moved out of the Polo Grounds where they were a tenant of the Giants into their own "home" ballpark.

5. It's 100 years that they've called the Bronx their home, which is a large part of their identity (as shown in the accompanying hashtag).

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's the 100th anniversary of a Yankee Stadium (though not 100 seasons since you'd have to exclude the few years that the OG was being "lol renovated".)

The image is disingenuous and strongly implies that the current is the original.  While it is in spirit, it's not.  If they want to celebrate the original stadiums birthday, then that's totally fine - it's kinda like how we celebrate President's day hundreds of years after GW and Lincoln died.  

They could very easily pull this off and have whatever celebrations they want, in the current stadium, without pretending that it's the original.  This isn't even a "Ship of Prometheus" thing.  The only thing they share is the name, and that changes the day that the Yankees sell out to an advertiser (they've already caved on 90% of their other hard-line stances.)

Most would say it's the 100th anniversary of *the* Yankee Stadium.

I think anyone in-the-know about the two ballparks doesn't look at that and think they're trying to trick people into thinking the parks are the same building.  It more shows how important the old building was and why they'd celebrate a century since its opening.  It was so key to the team's identity that they tried to rebuild it.

But, again, in the end, this is all reaaallly over-thinking.  It's not like most anniversaries celebrated in the sport.  They had a social media post, probably did some stuff before the game (I thought I'd get to see it, but for some reason the pre-game didn't record for me), and then the next day it was normal business.  They didn't even wear a patch on their jerseys.

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 4/17/2023 at 9:22 PM, M59 said:

I have not seen a City Connect set yet that didn't make me want to hurl. The number fonts, in particular, have been wretched to the point of embarrassment. (Dodgers CC's excepted.) One of the (many) reasons I don't like the Twins current set is the number font. 
MLB block numbers are fine for many reasons. Legibility being one of the most important. I can't wait for this "custom number fonts for everybody" era to be over...but sadly, it will probably outlive me. (Or, at least, what's left of my fandom.)

Astros CC number font and colors are amazing though

• Love 1

30 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

Let me add to my previous list of ways nothing said during this celebration is technically incorrect, zeroing in on the phrase you're stuck on...

4. It's 100 years since they moved out of the Polo Grounds where they were a tenant of the Giants into their own "home" ballpark.

5. It's 100 years that they've called the Bronx their home, which is a large part of their identity (as shown in the accompanying hashtag).

Most would say it's the 100th anniversary of *the* Yankee Stadium.

I think anyone in-the-know about the two ballparks doesn't look at that and think they're trying to trick people into thinking the parks are the same building.  It more shows how important the old building was and why they'd celebrate a century since its opening.  It was so key to the team's identity that they tried to rebuild it.

But, again, in the end, this is all reaaallly over-thinking.  It's not like most anniversaries celebrated in the sport.  They had a social media post, probably did some stuff before the game (I thought I'd get to see it, but for some reason the pre-game didn't record for me), and then the next day it was normal business.  They didn't even wear a patch on their jerseys.

Was Shea Stadium in the Bronx? They played there for 2 years.

• Facepalm 1

It's where I sit.