MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

9 hours ago, adsarebad said:

Are their cheap ass owners coming along as well?

If so, there will be no change, still just a farm team for the others....... just minus the rats and possums in the ceilings.

But still the same cheap crap on the field, and every time they have a star player..... sayonara!

-

This guy here is 100 times more lovable than the A's owner

spacer.png

I've read they're quite good to have in your yard. In your ceiling? Eh, not so much.
https://www.humanesociety.org/resources/what-do-about-opossums

• Applause 1

On 2023-04-21 at 2:47 AM, leopard88 said:

The font on the sleeve patch reminds me of this.

spacer.png

So the Mariners are throwing back to a team that played in the most aptly named stadium of all time and were a dumpster fire on and off the field, and also to the days when they played in a tomb and the prospect of a winning season was a pipe dream.

I would prefer something inspired by Seattle rather than a throwback to rotten teams that played in Stadiums not fit for purpose.

I’ve been meaning to comment on the Rangers’ City Connect, but since they wore them for the first time last night:

… I … kind of dig the dark pants look, especially for the Rangers..? I don’t think I could explain why if I tried, but it works. The reveal made it look black though, which I liked more in this particular case than the dark navy. The logos themselves are alright, but I like the unconventional placement of the logo on the right chest. I wish they made the “rope” striping seen on the socks more prominent, as that would’ve been a cool element to elevate.

Overall, given my usual caveat that I still don’t like that the City program was carried over to MLB, I’d put the Rangers solidly in the good-but-not-great range.  

As for the Mariners leak, I like that wordmark & number font a lot more than I expected. It’s a rare case where beveling works, as do the dropshadows, mostly because of the colors they went with. I’m not big on the patch logo, but everything else is nice. I vastly prefer the M’s as a navy & teal team, but this seems to be about as good as they could’ve done with the blue & yellow. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Andrew_Gamer_NZP said:

There are parts of the Rangers city connect I really like: I’m a fan of the TX logo, the color scheme, and the clever ways they integrated DFW baseball history into the uniform (the Winged Panther, the TX logo modeled after the Eagles’ “D”, the spur, etc.). 

However, the dark pants look extremely goofy and amateur, and are a huge knock for me. I also think the chest logo and numbers should switch sides, so the numbers are on the left and the logo is on the right. The layout as is looks a little awkward and strange. 

All in all, this is a case of really digging individual parts of what the Rangers did, but not really digging the way they put it all together. 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

taking them out of context, if they reversed the chest designs, I actually like this.  The dark pants work for me as long as the players wear them high-cuffed.  The termination of the thick-white stripe is enough to separate the pants from the sock, even though the socks are (unfortunately) the same color.

They're so dark that even though I know they're navy, I can't not see black - and I can otherwise always see the difference.  I like them better thinking that they're black.

They shouldn't exist, but taking them for what they are, I like them.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Was hoping Seattle went with  green and navy , their actual team colors (Gasp!)

And forest imagery,  or the space needle,  etc ..... gimme something!

So this is just retro, right?

Or what connects blue and yellow to the City of Seattle?

17 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

Was hoping Seattle went with  green and navy , their actual team colors (Gasp!)

And forest imagery,  or the space needle,  etc ..... gimme something!

So this is just retro, right?

Or what connects blue and yellow to the City of Seattle?

The Mariners and Pilots both originally wore the same colors, so presumably that's the inspiration for the color choice and overall look; tying into Seattle's MLB history by mixing those two brands together.

And echoing UpperV03, I think this is a better route for them to take than trying to turn a jersey into some weird tapestry of Seattle just to try and fit some arbitrary "city quota". We've already seen some teams completely whiff it by trying to force things that just don't work because it's "city-themed", like Boston's blue-and-gold abominations.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

The Mariners and Pilots both originally wore the same colors, so presumably that's the inspiration for the color choice and overall look; tying into Seattle's MLB history by mixing those two brands together.

The problem with that is that the Pilots and the pre Nintendo owned Mariners were two sacks of s***.

The Pilots had one season in Seattle, and that season was absolutely wretched, the team played in a ballpark that was Sick in every sense of the word, and as a result of an economic downturn in Seattle, the team had no money.  When the Mariners wore Blue and Gold, they had one winning season, plenty of awful teams, and they played in a dank pit of a stadium.

Considering that Seattles MLB teams almost always stank the joint out while wearing blue and gold full time in venues that were absolute toilets,  I have no idea why Seattle are going that route instead of trying something new inspired by the city of Seattle.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

The problem with that is that the Pilots and the pre Nintendo owned Mariners were two sacks of s***.

The Pilots had one season in Seattle, and that season was absolutely wretched, the team played in a ballpark that was Sick in every sense of the word, and as a result of an economic downturn in Seattle, the team had no money.  When the Mariners wore Blue and Gold, they had one winning season, plenty of awful teams, and they played in a dank pit of a stadium.

Considering that Seattles MLB teams almost always stank the joint out while wearing blue and gold full time in venues that were absolute toilets,  I have no idea why Seattle are going that route instead of trying something new inspired by the city of Seattle.

The Pilots were the first MLB team in Seattle, so I’d say they’re still an important part of Seattle baseball history. And regardless of their success (or lack thereof) in blue and gold, it’s still an important part of Mariners history as well.  They wore the color scheme for the first 25 years of their existence, and during that time saw the emergence of iconic players like The Kid and Edgar Martinez. There is a lot of nostalgia for the blue and gold. Hell, there’s a lot of nostalgia for the King Dome as well. The fans obviously like the blue and yellow because home games are close to a 50/50 split in terms of fans wearing navy/teal and royal/yellow. The team stores are pretty much a 50/50 split, too. 

Yes, Seattle has a ton of non-baseball inspiration to work with but I’m not sure any of it would’ve resulted in something better than what they’re actually doing. 

• Like 8

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

The Rangers’ state city connect would be a great concept jersey for celebrating title IX, because I can only see those numerals when I look at the “TX”

• Like 2

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

3 hours ago, bob95 said:

Have the nationals worn ethier if there alternates yet this year.

They wore the navy Nationals alt for a series against the Orioles.  It was the first time they'd worn an alt besides their City Connect all season.  I mentioned it, looking for insider information on whether or not they'd been completely dropped, but didn't hear anything.  It's now been a few more weeks and the New York Mets and San Francisco Giants have also only wore their home and away uniforms (save for the Giants wearing their City Connects one night).  It's almost like they took the 4+1 rule to cut out their cruff.  The Mets black isn't being sold as authentic on their team shop, which I know was mentioned earlier as a big reason for people to follow the rule/a way to get around it by simply wearing a uniform they can only sell as Cooperstown Collection.

Oh, never mind.  The Giants just broke out their orange alts finally Friday night.  It's their second Friday home game, with the other being opening day, so perhaps they just wore their creams for the special occasion?

14 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

The Rangers’ state city connect would be a great concept jersey for celebrating title IX, because I can only see those numerals when I look at the “TX”

It took me actually saying out loud "All I can see is an R" to realize "Oh.  Duh.  That makes sense because it's the first letter of their name."

spacer.png

spacer.png

19 minutes ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

They wore the navy Nationals alt for a series against the Orioles.  It was the first time they'd worn an alt besides their City Connect all season.  I mentioned it, looking for insider information on whether or not they'd been completely dropped, but didn't hear anything.  It's now been a few more weeks and the New York Mets and San Francisco Giants have also only wore their home and away uniforms (save for the Giants wearing their City Connects one night).  It's almost like they took the 4+1 rule to cut out their cruff.  The Mets black isn't being sold as authentic on their team shop, which I know was mentioned earlier as a big reason for people to follow the rule/a way to get around it by simply wearing a uniform they can only sell as Cooperstown Collection.

Oh, never mind.  The Giants just broke out their orange alts finally Friday night.  It's their second Friday home game, with the other being opening day, so perhaps they just wore their creams for the special occasion?

It took me actually saying out loud "All I can see is an R" to realize "Oh.  Duh.  That makes sense because it's the first letter of their name."

Nike is also transitioning to a new template next year. Makes sense at this point to just not make more jerseys if they're just going to kill them off at the end of the season anyways

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

Colorado took what should have been Seattle's City Connect uniforms!   😔

That green with some silver and navy...... oh yeah 🥰

And Seattle would  probably also have omitted the horrible yellow license plate on the sleeve.

-

Rockies colors: Silver and Purple....  so here is your Connect jersey, white and green....😔 

but don't worry, for some reason the Nike logo is purple!

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 1