MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

46 minutes ago, adsarebad said:

Of course......... it's just that i don't understand why the team is moving.

So they have no fans in the stands, of course not, all the good players are  always traded.

So why would people show up to see the same team, just in another city?

😵‍💫

Where can i find the answer for that?

Speaking more in general terms than specific to this situation (since I've been following only on the periphery):

Usually owners blame out-of-date stadiums on low revenue and an inability to attract (and pay) top free agents.  The thought is that by being gifted hundreds of millions in public money, and having a shiny state-of-the-art stadium (and all the additional revenue streams that come with that), the team will be able to afford to compete.  I don't know about the LV situation, but usually teams with new parks can profit off of management fees, parking revenue (that may have been remitted back to the city under old leases), luxury suites, etc.  A team in a new city may also be able to get a more favorable media-rights deal.

Whether any or all of that actually pans out will be seen - but a crappy owner is a crappy owner regardless of where his team is and how nice their playground is.  

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, adsarebad said:

So they have no fans in the stands, of course not, all the good players are  always traded.

😵‍💫

They're moving because the stadium is literally a s***hole and them and the city have never gotten on the same page as far as building one. Same thing with the Raiders. Now you can put blame on either side, more on one if you want, but it's 100% the stadium and has been for many, many years.

• Like 2

On 6/16/2023 at 11:10 AM, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Absolutely no reason or justification for the Vegas A's to change their name. 

90% of this is just the principal of the thing, it's a legacy franchise with tons of history and a freaking fantastic color scheme. 

10% for consideration is you also have the Aces in town, and Raiders, so the "A" sound just kind of fits. 

Dave Kaval has said the name won’t change, though you can’t believe anything he says. 

My guess/hope is they go Kelly green full time, put Las Vegas on the road greys and that’s it. Everything else is perfect as is. 

4 hours ago, adsarebad said:

😵‍💫

You must have not been paying attention to the literal toilet that the coliseum is, that Oakland has been completely stonewalling them getting a new stadium there. Fan support isn’t the reason they are leaving, it’s the local government.

• Like 2

I can’t believe anyone would suggest or predict the A’s would change their name or colors upon moving to Vegas. The “Athletics” moniker is almost as old as the game itself and has survived three different cities and counting, and the green & gold is one of the most distinctive color combos in professional sports.

I guess you could argue that the colors are especially relevant to Oakland because of the flag, but then again, the team started using them while they were still in Kansas City.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

I can’t believe anyone would suggest or predict the A’s would change their name or colors upon moving to Vegas. The “Athletics” moniker is almost as old as the game itself and has survived three different cities and counting, and the green & gold is one of the most distinctive color combos in professional sports.

I guess you could argue that the colors are especially relevant to Oakland because of the flag, but then again, the team started using them while they were still in Kansas City.

Like others have mentioned, I think the only change (other than "Las Vegas" on the roads), would be to switch to kelly green. They'll probably keep the same shade of gold, but might simply call it "Vegas Gold".

24 minutes ago, McCall said:

Like others have mentioned, I think the only change (other than "Las Vegas" on the roads), would be to switch to kelly green. They'll probably keep the same shade of gold, but might simply call it "Vegas Gold".

Yeah, I can see them tweaking the specific shades of the colors (probably to sell more merchandise) but I would bet anything the uniforms stay green and gold.

Isn't Oakland supposed to get a City Connect next season?  Awkward. 

• Like 4

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

They'll keep the A's name, colours and most of the branding that isn't Oakland specific, not just because of brand equity, but because Fisher and Kaval are too cheap to change anything.

12 hours ago, dont care said:

You must have not been paying attention to the literal toilet that the coliseum is, that Oakland has been completely stonewalling them getting a new stadium there. Fan support isn’t the reason they are leaving, it’s the local government.

Oakland has been trying to get a stadium deal done, the major sticking point is that Fisher and Kaval want the city to pay for it and Oakland hasn't got the money to do it. Not that the A's owners wanted to stay in Oakland - if they did, they wouldn't have been sandbagging for the last two seasons in order to kill the fanbase in the city.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

They'll keep the A's name, colours and most of the branding that isn't Oakland specific, not just because of brand equity, but because Fisher and Kaval are too cheap to change anything.

No to that last part. Even if they were privately funding everything and intended to spend $300 million on the best players, they STILL wouldn't change the identity. No owner would. It's literally one of the oldest and most historic in pro sports. It's basically had an "impression" added at each stop, but there would be no drastic changes no matter what. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

As I mentioned when bringing up the possibility, I wholeheartedly agree with you.  The problem is that this line of thinking depends on the people in charge showing a respect for the history of the franchise and not wanting to make up something new they can sell and "put their mark on" things.  Nothing about this ownership suggests respect for the franchise, let alone the current culture.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

Isn't Oakland supposed to get a City Connect next season?  Awkward. 

From reading the tea leaves, I'm betting the rollout of the City Connect program gets stretched out yet another season into 2025. There are ten teams who have yet to unveil theirs (side note, we're getting one fewer team this year than we did the past two seasons, which gave us seven each) so unless Nike plans to go hog-wild next year, I'm predicting we get five in 2024 and the remaining five in 2025, by which point the A's will probably have relocated. This way, Nike avoids the awkwardness of a City of Oakland-inspired City Connect design for a team bound for Sin City. 

• Like 3

On 6/16/2023 at 8:28 PM, aawagner011 said:

That’s a hot take for sure. I’d say the only gripe I have with the Cubs road look is the white trim, which is totally unnecessary.

spacer.png

Look how much cleaner the design is without the white (plus that sleeve patch!):

spacer.png

It’s the same complaint I have with the Yankees away set. The white against the gray muddies up the script. Their Field of Dreams design looked clean and timeless without the white.

spacer.png

Late to the party on this one. I disagree. The Dodgers uniforms (the roads in particular) have become a snoozefest since the removal of the white trim layer. Sartorial Sominex, IMO. Stripping the white layer from the Cubs' road set sends them down the same sleepy path. Your mileage obviously varies.

Edited by M59
Clarification.
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 1

18 minutes ago, M59 said:

Late to the party on this one. I disagree. The Dodgers uniforms (the roads in particular) have become a snoozefest since the removal of the white trim layer. Sartorial Sominex, IMO. Stripping the white layer from the Cubs' road set sends them down the same sleepy path. Your mileage obviously varies.

The solution to the Cubs' road unis has always been fairly obvious to me. Just bring back these beauties:

635576540558955819-Ernie-Banks_1817416_v

Would instantly become a top five road jersey in MLB. 

• Like 8
  • Love 4

16 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The solution to the Cubs' road unis has always been fairly obvious to me. Just bring back these beauties:

635576540558955819-Ernie-Banks_1817416_v

Would instantly become a top five road jersey in MLB. 

I don't know how the Cubs haven't reinstated this as their road set yet...but they sho' need to.

• Like 4

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

8 hours ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Oakland has been trying to get a stadium deal done, the major sticking point is that Fisher and Kaval want the city to pay for it and Oakland hasn't got the money to do it. Not that the A's owners wanted to stay in Oakland - if they did, they wouldn't have been sandbagging for the last two seasons in order to kill the fanbase in the city.

This just isn’t accurate. No proposal so far has the City of Oakland paying for the stadium, only the infrastructure. The A’s would have privately financed the stadium and business/residential areas (everything privately financed would have been about $12bn). Oakland found infrastructure money through BIL and state grants (to the tune of ~$375M, which will be spent by city no matter if there’s a stadium or not). Schnitzer Steeel’s hazardous waste and numerous special interest groups blocked most progress into getting a deal done. 

Anyway, I see the A’s changing to a Vegas gold once they move but keeping most everything else the same. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

22 hours ago, adsarebad said:

😵‍💫

Probably best to check here

• Like 1