MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

2 hours ago, YELDARBfield said:  FWIW, I work for a Minor League team, and there was discussion about a team wanting to wear a grey throwback jersey at home. So it's at least now a rule in MiLB, so I would hope that would also apply to the Majors since they control the whole system now. I'm very pro-throwback, but a great road jersey at home is a no-go for me. What if the opponent doesnt have a colored top? Would they wear white? Obviously you can schedule around that, but still, this feels vile. 

10 hours ago, Digby said:

Re Seattle, I’ve always defended their look as a modern classic but they’ve really gone death by a thousand cuts here. The navy would be fine (boring, but fine) if it used normal block numbering and not that dated, try hard serif font. The teal only works at home. The cream is a disaster, and the powder blues were around so briefly that I’ve already forgotten about them. This team desperately needs a Padres-style reboot, on and off the field.

If by that you mean a return to their original colors, please, no.

I would like to see navy paired with either seafoam green or neon green. The teal has run its course, and they need all-new scripts and monograms. Maybe something all-lowercase?

• Like 1
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

16 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I would like to see navy paired with either seafoam green or neon green. The teal has run its course, and they need all-new scripts and monograms. Maybe something all-lowercase?

I hate the original colors so not that. I’d consider the navy and “northwest green” or whatever to be the definitive Mariners scheme in a way that Padres and brown also were. I guess Seattle has at least never fully abandoned it, just abandoned it 3 days a week and also in spring, or something.

I can see a Nike redesign pulling from Hawks bright green and some copy about the tech zeitgeist to take that lowercase wordmark pedigree and spit out something that’s zany levels of modern. 

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind the Mariners doing something modern, or as modern as one can get within the conservative constraints of a baseball uniform. I don't want everyone to be the Tigers. The '90s set just feels worn out at this point.

• Applause 1
  • Facepalm 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Do you like the idea of the Cubs featuring red on the road but don't want to attract similarities to St. Louis?

Well do I have a solution for you:

X873cJO.png

Ideally both would be in Powder Blue, looks so good on the road.

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

On 1/27/2023 at 8:07 PM, SSmith48 said:

However, I see this as a good move. Letting teams wear a color on the road, rather than grays, is more practical, and I think more stylish. I hope more teams lean into this. 

Until they're playing a series in Toronto, Texas, or KC who are wearing royal blue at home. They've said they'll wear teal against teams wearing navy, but I don't expect them to care as much if their opponents wear royal.

For my money, Seattle should stick with the teal, as it works really well with the navy, and that colour combo fits a team called the Mariners like a glove. And it doesn't look like either the Diamondbacks or Marlins are going to bring it back into their main colour scheme any time soon.

Along with the Nautical star and baseball emblem, the colour scheme is one part of the identity of the Mariners that should be kept. It's the uniforms and wordmarks that really need a spruce up at this point.

• Like 8

I too feel the Mariners should stick to their navy and Northwest green look. I used to not love it, my argument being that the Northwest green looks too muted next to navy (and I still feel that way judging solely by the way the color looks online) but my God, does it come to life under the proper lighting

One thing I can pretty much guarantee for when the M's do eventually update their look is the silver will be gone. It doesn't really accomplish anything other than to muddy up their look and the general aesthetic throughout MLB the last few years seems to have (thankfully) back swung in the direction of simplification and neo-retro type designs. I do think they should modernize their scripts and logos but yeah, keep the Northwest green. 

• Like 6

12 hours ago, the admiral said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think the Mariners' look from the '80s was under-appreciated. The use of lower-case letters, the Expos-like sleeve and shoulder striping, the trident M were all unique. 

I could see some of those ideas reapplied in a Padres/Twins-esque update. The trident and nautical star symbols can easily work together as part of a branding package. And I like @the admiral's idea of pairing Navy with a more attractive green. 

spacer.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Maybe it's just me, but I think the Mariners' look from the '80s was under-appreciated. The use of lower-case letters, the Expos-like sleeve and shoulder striping, the trident M were all unique. 

I could see some of those ideas reapplied in a Padres/Twins-esque update. The trident and nautical star symbols can easily work together as part of a branding package. And I like @the admiral's idea of pairing Navy with a more attractive green. 

spacer.png

Problem with the trident M is that it's a symbol of bad luck, and the team were rotten. No matter how good the look was, it's hard to separate it from a crap team that turned around its fortunes when they ditched it. That and Navy and Yellow/Gold are the definative colours of The Brew Crew.

The striping in navy and Teal could work though, currently the single headspoon outline isn't exactly inspiring.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, VampyrRabbit said:

Problem with the trident M is that it's a symbol of bad luck, and the team were rotten. No matter how good the look was, it's hard to separate it from a crap team that turned around its fortunes when they ditched it. That and Navy and Yellow/Gold are the definative colours of The Brew Crew.

The striping in navy and Teal could work though, currently the single headspoon outline isn't exactly inspiring.

I don't buy into any of that. The Padres were mediocre-to-bad for nearly their entire existence as a primarily brown franchise but that didn't stop people from clamoring for the color to return. I find the whole idea of uniforms as symbols of futility to be strange. They're clothes. The teams stunk because the players stunk. They'd have been just as bad had they been wearing Yankee uniforms. Such things can be evaluated separately. 

Even so, I wouldn't advocate for just returning to that look, and especially those colors. But taking something that blends together the team's various eras, including that excellent and often overlooked '80s look, could be successful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

spacer.png

There's been several concepts that have been posted over the years that were great modernizations of this set, but in current colors.

They would be a great team to experiment with a custom shade of blue/green/gray for their road uniforms - kinda like how the Padres have that custom gray/brown shade.  The Mariners could do like the Cowboys "sea foam green" or maybe even something slightly greener.  Don't the Kraken have a seafoamish color?  Maybe borrow from them.

The trident look was really good before they mucked it up by throwing a star behind it.  They could easily turn it back into an iconic modern look that could last for decades.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't buy into any of that. The Padres were mediocre-to-bad for nearly their entire existence as a primarily brown franchise but that didn't stop people from clamoring for the color to return. I find the whole idea of uniforms as symbols of futility to be strange. They're clothes. The teams stunk because the players stunk. They'd have been just as bad had they been wearing Yankee uniforms. Such things can be evaluated separately. 

Even so, I wouldn't advocate for just returning to that look, and especially those colors. But taking something that blends together the team's various eras, including that excellent and often overlooked '80s look, could be successful. 

The Padres got to a World Series while wearing Brown and had 5 winning seasons while wearing that colour. The Mariners never got to the postseason wearing navy and gold/yellow and had just one winning season, and they weren't even the first crap MLB team wearing blue and gold in Seattle. Considering just how massive the turnaround was when the Mariners changed to their current colours and how bad they were, it's hard to separate the look from those woeful teams.

There wasn't any team wearing brown in the MLB, but there were no shortage of teams using navy, hence wanting the Padres to bring back brown. It's a bit different to Seattle having not one, but two absolutely wretched teams playing in blue and gold.

Those colours should stay in the past, we agree on that.  But I do agree that some parts of that look could be brought back as part of a refresh of the teams current look.

I ranted about Seattle and the inconsistency of their uniforms earlier, and I guess one cog of the inconsistency is out with no road uniforms, but it is still there and maybe worse now with the Cream Sunday Alt. Also kinda sad the blue BP uniform is going away cause it did actually look nice, but definitely was not one for the season as it had nothing really cohesive with the rest of the uniforms. 

spacer.png

With the Twins, I love the paneled helmet stand alone with the Home Uniforms. My questions are, do they wear it with the Navy Alt or does the M helmet take over? Other thing is the cohesion with the uniform.  It is so far off the normal uniform especially without a spec of red on the hats. It'll be something to see during the season.

jOfO5Rh.pngaYLRFMy.png1FNdgQe.png

Here is a list of every team that will have to drop jerseys from their rotation to fit the new 4+1 rule:

• Phillies (5)
  • Nationals (6?)
  • Braves (5)
  • Rays? (5 if the gradient throwback is included)
  • Pirates (5)
  • Diamondbacks (5)
  • Padres (5)
  • Rangers (5)

For some teams it's easy to imagine what will get dropped (Pirates Camo and one of the Padres Camo) but other teams will have a hard choice to make soon.

The Nationals technically have 6 uniforms, but only wear 4 (script white, W red, script navy, road) so they will probably continue what they've been doing.

• Like 2

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

59 minutes ago, MNtwins3 said:

Here is a list of every team that will have to drop jerseys from their rotation to fit the new 4+1 rule:

• Phillies (5)
  • Nationals (6?)
  • Braves (5)
  • Pirates (5)
  • Diamondbacks (5)
  • Padres (5)
  • Rangers (5)

For some teams it's easy to imagine what will get dropped (Pirates Camo and one of the Padres Camo) but other teams will have a hard choice to make soon.

The Nationals technically have 6 uniforms, but only wear 4 (script white, W red, script navy, road) so they will probably continue what they've been doing.

Nats dropped the White "W", the Stars and Stripes White jersey, and the blue Stars and Stripes so they definitely only have four.

Padres probably drop the green camo and roll with the brown one.

Rangers probably drop gray (which is a mistake)

Braves, as far as I remember, no longer have the cream

Phillies probably drop the red alternate

Diamondbacks probably drop normal home white for the teal trim one...

As far as everything else goes, who knows what will happen

1 hour ago, MNtwins3 said:

• Phillies (5)
  • Nationals (6?)
  • Braves (5)
  • Pirates (5)
  • Diamondbacks (5)
  • Padres (5)
  • Rangers (5)

It already leaked a while back that the Rays would be dropping their gray roads  starting this coming season. Not sure why it wasn’t met with as much consternation as the Mariners news, though.

30 minutes ago, tohasbo said:

Nats dropped the White "W", the Stars and Stripes White jersey, and the blue Stars and Stripes so they definitely only have four.

Padres probably drop the green camo and roll with the brown one.

Rangers probably drop gray (which is a mistake)

Braves, as far as I remember, no longer have the cream

Phillies probably drop the red alternate

Diamondbacks probably drop normal home white for the teal trim one...

As far as everything else goes, who knows what will happen

I hope the Phillies drop the red alt, though I do like them, the cream alt's are great and have to stay. Dropping the gray gives them no 2nd choice for contrast unless they wear the light blue throwbacks on the roads (which wouldn't be too bad since that was their original desognation) but the grays have such history to them as well and look fine.