MLB 2023 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

That in itself is a problem. Well the $300 price tag I can kinda get, IF it's to spec with the on-field product. $130 for the replicas, on the other hand, is another story. The problem I've been noticing--well one of the problems, anyway, and this is across the board, not just with MLB--is that the quality of even the replicas has gone way downhill from what they used to be, even before Nike got involved. I think the textile fabric may be slightly better, but the scripts, numbers, and NOBs all leave MUCH to be desired, from inaccurate colors to inaccurate sizing, even in "authentic" form in many cases. (Though I wonder how much of that is a Fanatics thing now, not that these issues weren't going on before they dang-near monopolized the fangear market.) 

FWIW, even Mitchell & Ness has fallen victim to this deteriorating quality/authenticity problem...don't know what led to it, but it's very noticeable now.

There you go. They've been bought by the ones who are absolutely destroying sports merchandise as a whole.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2022/02/18/business/fanatics-mitchell-ness-sports-merchandise.amp.html

2 hours ago, Discrim said:

Probably because the Rays' grays were just kinda there, while the Mariners' grays were actually good looking.

The Rays rarely used their grays on the road for the past 3 seasons or so, and usually only when it clashed against a home team in navy.

2 hours ago, jp1409 said:

There you go. They've been bought by the ones who are absolutely destroying sports merchandise as a whole.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2022/02/18/business/fanatics-mitchell-ness-sports-merchandise.amp.html

9516c6f4809ef12138d80120054556f5_w200.gi

I had no idea...and now I know.

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

A couple things,

First, did the Mariners ever wear their light blue Spring Training jerseys during the regular season, or are they including ST jerseys in the 4+1? A lot of teams, such as the Cardinals, use them for ST and BP, but have never worn them in a regular season game (although I think they have openly discussed it). Does that mean they and any team that already has 4 in addition to ST jerseys have to ditch one?🤷‍♂️

Second, just an observational opinion, but, as most have mentioned the Rays using the light blue jerseys on the road and hoping they match the pants, most likely the navy is gonna be the default primary aways since that's when the mostly wore them.

This was your daily dose of inspirational, thought-provoking commentary. Carry on.

56 minutes ago, McCall said:

A couple things,

First, did the Mariners ever wear their light blue Spring Training jerseys during the regular season, or are they including ST jerseys in the 4+1? A lot of teams, such as the Cardinals, use them for ST and BP, but have never worn them in a regular season game (although I think they have openly discussed it). Does that mean they and any team that already has 4 in addition to ST jerseys have to ditch one?🤷‍♂️

Second, just an observational opinion, but, as most have mentioned the Rays using the light blue jerseys on the road and hoping they match the pants, most likely the navy is gonna be the default primary aways since that's when the mostly wore them.

This was your daily dose of inspirational, thought-provoking commentary. Carry on.

- I don't believe Seattle wore the light blue jerseys in the regular season.  Not sure if they count as part of 4+1.

- Rays light blue on the road would look bad with the gray pants.  Those are two colors that shouldn't pair together.  I hope the Rays are considering light blue road pants, which then could pair with both the navy jersey or the light blue jersey.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

I think if there's going to a particular reorganizing of incentives with the 4+1 format its going to be in favor of making more substantive changes more frequently.

I think recently teams have used the addition of new jerseys as a way to slow drip or beta test new ideas or designs.

With adding a new jersey requiring the swapping out of an old one, that would means either a willingness to drop the old jersey or just opting for a full rebrand.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TBGKon said:

I hope the Rays are considering light blue road pants, which then could pair with both the navy jersey or the light blue jersey.

Has a team ever worn a colored jersey with light blue pants? I think it looks fine in concept form but I'm not sure it would look good on the field. 

Not a good look.  Powder-blue pants should only be worn with matching tops.

Dkbp_gmU4AAHCmW.jpg

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

The adpocalypse begins. Good lord that’s larger than I thought they’d be, plus it’s on both sides which ruins sleeve logos, a defining feature of most baseball uniforms. 

If they had done it in black lettering like the logo below, it would've looked a whole helluva lot better (relatively speaking). Avnet Launches New Logo, Global Branding Campaign - Logo-Designer.co

4in x 4in is too big for a sleeve patch. I would've maybe settled for 4x2 max, 4in tall x 2in wide or 4in wide x 2in tall, depending on the natural orientation of the logo. That or maybe 3x3 max.

• Like 3