NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

10 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Secondly, a lot of teams have a shift from helmet finish to jersey.

That's not a trend so much as it's Nike's aversion to dazzle fabric. 

18 hours ago, JustABallCoach said:

Ah there it is. Glad you at least said it out loud. 

I get what you're aiming for, but it's missing, sorry.

It's like when the Clippers unveiled their Compton look. It's just insincere. THIS team is gonna claim it has inner city cred? REALLY? 

• Like 2

I'd like to see the candy apple red helmet with the color rush jersey, I think that would look good. The red of the helmet would tie into the red numbers, but it wouldn't be as jarring a difference in finishes as you get with the red jersey. 

That with white pants and navy or red socks could be the good basis for a new look.

• Like 6

47 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I'd like to see the candy apple red helmet with the color rush jersey, I think that would look good. The red of the helmet would tie into the red numbers, but it wouldn't be as jarring a difference in finishes as you get with the red jersey. 

That with white pants and navy or red socks could be the good basis for a new look.

So, how jarring are the red numbers? I guess in this era, it could work, right?

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

That's not a trend so much as it's Nike's aversion to dazzle fabric. 

Look, some of the hate for Nike is warranted, but show me another uniform manufacturer, in any sport, that is still using dazzle fabric.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

7 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Look, some of the hate for Nike is warranted, but show me another uniform manufacturer, in any sport, that is still using dazzle fabric.

I agree. I gotta think they have been working on something, but for whatever reason the performance isn’t there. If they had cracked the code to make shiny fabric moisture wicking and lightweight on the same level as contemporary matte fabrics, Nike or anyone else who made the innovation would be pushing the hell out of it.

18 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Yes, I think you’re missing something.  I didn’t see a post mentioning “rap culture” as bad and deserving of derision.  

17 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

We’ll, neither of those quotes are mine, so I don’t want to speak for them, but to my mind, saying it isn’t something you’d want to build a professional sports brand around isn’t the same as saying it’s bad and deserving of derision.  

As for the Admiral’s ultimate point… it’s kind of just one of his usual points.  

Expected disingenuity. What wasnt expected was how the other posts around these two made my point immediately obvious 😌.

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

It's like when the Clippers unveiled their Compton look. It's just insincere. THIS team is gonna claim it has inner city cred? REALLY? 

I dont think they are though; one poster just alluded to the color reminding him of slab cars. The idea that the Texans owner (of all people) wants to placate "the inner city" or "the blacks and the whites who want to larp as them" is amusing to no end making the idea of taking it seriously and whining about it also silly and amusing. I see you, fellow 4chan posters.

3 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Oh, to have one of the RWB teams actually be red dominate.

Chiefs are also red dominate in the AFC South as well which is another reason one (me)  may not want too much red from the Texans.

2 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Adidas, in the NHL:

13028242_web1_Golden-Knights-Capitals-Hockey.jpg

cut.png

GettyImages-1252373700.jpg

They just started reintroducing it and it looks great. No reason Nike can't do the same.

• Like 2

the user formerly known as cdclt

True, but that’s a different application. It’s used only as trim on those hockey uniforms. Football uniforms are super tight and super stretchy. I think if they could make it super light and stretchy we’d see it on high level football uniforms.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 8BW14 said:

True, but that’s a different application. It’s used only as trim on those hockey uniforms. Football uniforms are super tight and super stretchy. I think if they could make it super light and stretchy we’d see it on high level football uniforms.

Ok, here's adidas using reflective trim on football uniforms (which, I'll admit, is not dazzle fabric but it's something):

aHR0cHM6Ly9yYW1ibGlud3JlY2suY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDIyLzA3LzIwMjIwNjIwX1VuaWZvcm1fNzctNjgzeDEwMjQuanBn.jpg

It's also absolutely not just trim on hockey uniforms:

USATSI_20445970-e1681400214776.jpg?crop=6px,0px,2863px,1717px&resize=1000,600

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

Adidas, in the NHL:

13028242_web1_Golden-Knights-Capitals-Hockey.jpg

cut.png

GettyImages-1252373700.jpg

They just started reintroducing it and it looks great. No reason Nike can't do the same.

Are you referring to the metallic trim?

I would be very hesitant to say you could use this same fabric for a football jersey that needs to be tight, breathable, and stretchy.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

Ok, here's adidas using reflective trim on football uniforms (which, I'll admit, is not dazzle fabric but it's something):

aHR0cHM6Ly9yYW1ibGlud3JlY2suY29tL3dwLWNvbnRlbnQvdXBsb2Fkcy8yMDIyLzA3LzIwMjIwNjIwX1VuaWZvcm1fNzctNjgzeDEwMjQuanBn.jpg

It's also absolutely not just trim on hockey uniforms:

USATSI_20445970-e1681400214776.jpg?crop=6px,0px,2863px,1717px&resize=1000,600

That’s a screen print application on the jersey numbers and sleeve stripes, and possibly on the pant stripe, too.  

Imagine, for a second, how breathable a 100% screen print coated jersey would be.

Sorry, these options are not comparable.

There is a reason Nike, UA, adidas, etc are using these fabrics.  I don’t know them 1000%, but from selling them for nearly 8 years, I can tell you they are far more breathable, much, much lighter, retain their shape, and have great stretch, while also maintaining durability.  It’s really a night & day difference from the old dazzle/mesh fabrications.

Sorry it’s not shiny, though.

• Like 7

Forget I about those Vegas jerseys. I feel like if that could translate to football fabrics it would have. Where’s the dazzle on those GT uniforms?  Is it the pants? I’d love the see the Niners and Panthers back in shiny pants, but I think the fact that we haven’t seen something like that implies they can’t get the material to a place where they want it. I don’t wanna sound like a Nike Stan here. and maybe I’m naive, and they just don’t wanna do it but I think that would be a big deal for the teams with silver/gold helmets to have state of the art shiny pants. Right now, if it’s important enough to them, they’re still wearing the same pants I wore in high school in 2009 which is fine if that’s what they want, but those things were hot and heavy and did not wick moisture at all.

I know that there's a reason that NFL teams aren't wearing dazzle fabric. I'm just personally of the opinion that it could be done - that Vegas gold jersey means that there's at least one team that's willing to go for it. If I were in charge of an NFL team that should be wearing shiny pants (Saints, 49ers, Lions) I'd be asking for it. Maybe teams have asked and it's just doable with current materials. But until someone just comes out and says that I'll be wanting dazzle fabrics back.

Oh, also, here's Nike using it, from the Celtics' 75th anniversary jerseys:

NikeNews_Jerseys_NBAClassicEdition_2021-22_Celtics2_original-scaled.jpg?fit=1200,1200&ssl=1

So there's some progress on that front.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

That’s a screen print application on the jersey numbers and sleeve stripes, and possibly on the pant stripe, too.  

Imagine, for a second, how breathable a 100% screen print coated jersey would be.

Sorry, these options are not comparable.

There is a reason Nike, UA, adidas, etc are using these fabrics.  I don’t know them 1000%, but from selling them for nearly 8 years, I can tell you they are far more breathable, much, much lighter, retain their shape, and have great stretch, while also maintaining durability.  It’s really a night & day difference from the old dazzle/mesh fabrications.

Sorry it’s not shiny, though.

It's actually heat transfer vinyl,  but your point stands..

We went from no-dazzle in the 1920's, to some dazzle pants in the 1930's, to some dazzle durene jerseys in 1950's, to dazzle free polyester pants in the 1960's, to dazzle on the front side of the pants in the 1970's, to full dazzle pants in the 1980's, to dazzle EVERYTHING in the 1990's and 2000's, to no dazzle anything in the 2020's.

• Like 8