NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

I thought the argument was that way the dazzle fabric was weaved made it significantly heavier than when they use the materials they do for the flat uniforms.  I just pulled out an old authentic Eagles jersey that I had from 15 years ago, and it's heavy AF compared to modern jerseys.  That doesn't mean that they can't invent the technology to create the same effect with the current materials, but I suppose Nike just doesn't want to invest the $ into it.

• Like 11

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

13 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I thought the argument was that way the dazzle fabric was weaved made it significantly heavier than when they use the materials they do for the flat uniforms.  I just pulled out an old authentic Eagles jersey that I had from 15 years ago, and it's heavy AF compared to modern jerseys.  That doesn't mean that they can't invent the technology to create the same effect with the current materials, but I suppose Nike just doesn't want to invest the $ into it.

It's possible that some of that weight difference can be attributed to sizing, as pads have shrunk and are more scantily covered now than they were 15 years ago, as well methods/materials used for decoration.  Not to mention some of the standard manufacturing techniques such as the bulky, elastic-filled, rib-knit cuffs and collars, multi-layered shoulders, etc.. 

Not saying it has NOTHING to do with the fabric, just that there may be multiple reasons the old jersey is heavier..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It's possible that some of that weight difference can be attributed to sizing, as pads have shrunk and are more scantily covered now than they were 15 years ago, as well methods/materials used for decoration.  Not to mention some of the standard manufacturing techniques such as the bulky, elastic-filled, rib-knit cuffs and collars, multi-layered shoulders, etc.. 

Not saying it has NOTHING to do with the fabric, just that there may be multiple reasons the old jersey is heavier..

Oh for sure.  3-layer twill is also a thing of the past, and that certainly added weight too.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

38 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

It's actually heat transfer vinyl,  but your point stands..

The numbers, maybe, but never heard of Nike using HTV for sleeve stripes.  Wouldn’t be surprised, just haven’t heard of it.

21 hours ago, the admiral said:

I said what I meant and I meant what I said. We clocked what they were going for weeks ago with the Old English lettering, and not only is "urban streetwear" a bad fit for the brand and a misstep for a team whose league should be above trend-chasing, it's also tacky coming from an organization whose opinions on enthusiasts of "urban streetwear" are pretty clear. No apologies. 

The NFL hasn’t been above trend-chasing since before The Swoosh took over. BFBS jerseys were already a thing. Mono was already a thing. The Swoosh has made those things more prominent, but NFL teams try to look trendy just like anybody else. 

• Like 7

5 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

The NFL hasn’t been above trend-chasing since before The Swoosh took over. BFBS jerseys were already a thing. Mono was already a thing. The Swoosh has made those things more prominent, but NFL teams try to look trendy just like anybody else. 

Too bad “trendy”  in the NFL generally equals absolute garbage.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, CDCLT said:

Adidas, in the NHL:

13028242_web1_Golden-Knights-Capitals-Hockey.jpg

cut.png

GettyImages-1252373700.jpg

They just started reintroducing it and it looks great. No reason Nike can't do the same.

Show them on a stretchy form fitting fabric and not loose like on an nhl jersey.

We've been past "dazzle" fabric (is that the actual term for it, or just our colloquialism?) for long enough now that when I see it (like in those pictures of the Eagles uniforms, or on UCLA's pants or whatever) that it looks dated. The same kind of dated that an original Riddell Revolution gives off now. Not ancient history by any means, but also not at all modern. Kind of in that gap between old school/throwback and modern: it just looks old. While I think some teams might benefit from going back to that look, it would also take a while to get used to seeing it again, if the entire garment were made of the same even shine that pants and jerseys were made from in the 90s/2000s. It would also take some getting used to seeing a new iteration of the dazzle/shiny concept too, like the trim on the hockey uniforms in the above posts if that were translated to full garments. But for me, anyway, that might be easier to stomach simply because I could see that as more of an evolution instead of going back to something that is associated with a time when football uniforms were bulkier and seemed clunkier or even slower (because of their size).

Kind of a stream of consciousness there, but my overall point is dazzle as we knew it looks dated now.

• Like 15
  • Applause 1
  • Yawn 1

Also, rewinding just a bit:

1. When previous posts talked about Houston wearing a red helmet and blue jerseys, I, too, thought of the Memphis Express of the AAF. Keep the white pants though; no need to go red/blue/red/blue.
  2. I think contrast is key for Houston: with both options going over white pants, I think they'd look good in either of a blue helmet/red jersey combo or a red helmet/blue jersey combo. Even if Buffalo got a wild idea about making their 90s look (or something similar) permanent, there's enough of a difference in the two looks that having both Houston and Buffalo in red/blue/white/(whatever color socks) would be fine.
  • Like 2
  • Applause 2

5 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Also, rewinding just a bit:

1. When previous posts talked about Houston wearing a red helmet and blue jerseys, I, too, thought of the Memphis Express of the AAF. Keep the white pants though; no need to go red/blue/red/blue.
  2. I think contrast is key for Houston: with both options going over white pants, I think they'd look good in either of a blue helmet/red jersey combo or a red helmet/blue jersey combo. Even if Buffalo got a wild idea about making their 90s look (or something similar) permanent, there's enough of a difference in the two looks that having both Houston and Buffalo in red/blue/white/(whatever color socks) would be fine.

I'd prefer red helmets, blue jerseys, blue pants and red socks.

• Like 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Dislike 2

My own personal opinion is that the dazzle fabric looks terrible, and I love how bright and colorful the nike uniforms have been since 2012. There are some aesthetic downsides to that of course but I think the good outweighs the bad. The reebok/ripon era looks like the dark ages compared to now. 

• Like 5
  • Applause 3

1 hour ago, ssj_homeslice said:

The reebok/ripon era looks like the dark ages compared to now. 

I thought NFL uniforms started looking cheap in the mid-2000s, especially once college football started using newer templates (see: Miami Hurricanes in 2004). I couldn't wait for Nike to get the contract.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Well, in fairness, the Chiefs *do* dominate in the AFC South when they play them. 

Not trying to derail, but as a semi-Titans fan and stat nerd this comment piqued my interest. Since the 2018 season (Mahomes's first starting season), the Chiefs are 11-6 vs AFC South opponents (.647). Since that's conveniently a season's worth of games, we see that would have been good for about 8th in the league this past year.

vs Tennessee: 2-3

vs Indianapolis: 2-2
vs Houston: 3-1

vs Jacksonville: 4-0

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

It was speculated the Falcons would keep the Vapor Untouchable template, however, that appears incorrect.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Still horrible.  Maybe if the ATL was bigger I would like them more.  More side stripes too.  

• LOL 8

25 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Not sure if its a retail thing but this lacks the triangle stitching pattern we see on the new Vapor template.

There are two versions of the new template, one that has the V-shaped seam under the collar and this one with horizontal seams on either side of the collar.

• Like 5

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

45 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

There are two versions of the new template, one that has the V-shaped seam under the collar and this one with horizontal seams on either side of the collar.

I wish every team stayed with the Vapor Untouchable template, but given only the choice of the 2 new templates, I would have thought that most of the teams would've opted for the horizontal seam option.  Killed me seeing that Kelce jersey with the V-shape seams, just looks stupid. 

You should never notice designs elements of a uniform over team elements.  

• Like 6