NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

5 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Losing four Super Bowls in a row doesn't qualify as a dynasty. Maybe it's fond memories or good players but they just never got it done. It didn't help that they got destroyed by the Cowboys in their last two Super Bowls.

They were a dynasty in the conference. Even though they didn’t win any of them, they remain the ONLY team ever to play in four consecutive Super Bowls. Ever. That’s an accomplishment. 

• Like 11
  • Applause 1

Nothing about the Bills' Kelly-era look does it for me. I prefer tradition to modern and the Kelly-era look is certainly better than the crapfest that replaced them but on their own they're a bit too plain for my liking. They look like generic off the rack designs. It doesn't help that the Giants of that period looked almost identical from the neck down. 

I actually really like the current look. The only thing that bugs me is the tapered helmet stripe. Totally stupid and unnecessary. It's a really great look other than that though. Traditional without looking dull. You see it immediately and know it's the Bills yet it doesn't have to slap a giant BUFFALO wordmark or do something stupid with the jersey and pants striping. 

• Like 11

12 hours ago, Cujo said:

It's not so much the Bills look better in red helmets, but it it differentiates them from the 6 or so other teams who use white helmets, vs only KC who uses red. The Jets and Titans have recently bailed on white lids because of their blandness.

Oh, and there's also that Bills AFC dynasty.

Yup, right now they look too much like the Colts and Giants. Still don’t have a team that uses both blue and red elements (helmet and jersey). Closest thing was the Texans before they had to ruin that by wearing a red helmet with their red jerseys.

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

Nothing about the Bills' Kelly-era look does it for me. I prefer tradition to modern and the Kelly-era look is certainly better than the crapfest that replaced them but on their own they're a bit too plain for my liking. They look like generic off the rack designs. It doesn't help that the Giants of that period looked almost identical from the neck down. 

I actually really like the current look. The only thing that bugs me is the tapered helmet stripe. Totally stupid and unnecessary. It's a really great look other than that though. Traditional without looking dull. You see it immediately and know it's the Bills yet it doesn't have to slap a giant BUFFALO wordmark or do something stupid with the jersey and pants striping. 

I actually have come around on the tapered helmet stripe. It didn’t happen till I realized it was a reproduction of the tapering in the stripe on the logo. 

That said, I like the red helmets better, but from the neck down this set is better; the current look is definitely less generic. I wish they’d stop going monochrome so often, though, and that they would bring back the striped socks that they wore so often in the early years of this set. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Pigskin12 said:

Yup, right now they look too much like the Colts and Giants. Still don’t have a team that uses both blue and red elements (helmet and jersey). Closest thing was the Texans before they had to ruin that by wearing a red helmet with their red jerseys.

Unfortunately for the Texans, the new NFL alternate helmet rules have stated that alternate helmets must be used with alternate uniforms. Hence why the Texans have worn red/red, Bears have worn orange/orange, Eagles have worn black/black, etc. If the Texans switched to the red helmets as their primary, then they could wear it with their blue and white uniforms, adding a little more contrast.

I like the striping patterns that the Bills have now, but I wish they had kept the old Champion names and numbers as a nod to the past. Gotta have that Z 2 and bendy 7. I'd prefer red helmets as well.

• Like 3

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, Pyromania1983 said:

Unfortunately for the Texans, the new NFL alternate helmet rules have stated that alternate helmets must be used with alternate uniforms. Hence why the Texans have worn red/red, Bears have worn orange/orange, Eagles have worn black/black, etc. If the Texans switched to the red helmets as their primary, then they could wear it with their blue and white uniforms, adding a little more contrast.

Not 100% true. The Panthers wore them with their black jerseys, while black is still their primary home jersey. Cowboys wore their White alternates with 2 completely different blue jerseys. 

18 minutes ago, shstpt1 said:

Not 100% true. The Panthers wore them with their black jerseys, while black is still their primary home jersey. Cowboys wore their White alternates with 2 completely different blue jerseys. 

I think the Panthers had permission to do this due to the specific uniform combination that they wore. The Black jersey itself is their primary, but when paired with black pants and accessories it was considered an alternate uniform by the NFL. I'm sure they had to be granted permission or something like that though.

Not sure about the Cowboy's situation.

• Like 1

Bills look best when they look like what France would look like if they played american football.

Blue jerseys, white pants, red socks at home.

White jerseys, blue pants, and white socks on the road.

Now that the one helmet rule is gone, I don't care about white vs red because you can do standing buffalo throwbacks.

• Like 2

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

2 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

The Panthers designated the all-black look their color rush, which allowed them to wear the black helmet.

Cowboys wore the white helmet with their throwback and color rush, which are both alternates.

• Like 5

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

1 hour ago, Cujo said:

I wish I knew what the Bills were thinking then they decided to shart on their AFC dynasty unis

I think they were going after slightly derpy CFL aesthetics in a bid to capture the Toronto market -- not quite the Argonauts' double blue, but a double blue.

• Like 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

4 hours ago, IceCap said:

The red helmets are fine but the whites feel more fitting for upstate NY? I donno. It's arbitrary but they do to me

I get that. The white-heavy look does feel very Buffalonian, even without thinking of the dodgy race relations that can plague the area. 

• Like 1
  • Huh? 4
  • Dislike 1

16 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I get that. The white-heavy look does feel very Buffalonian, even without thinking of the dodgy race relations that can plague the area. 

I wasn't even going there. I just think blue and white feels Buffalo. The city flag, the heavy white accents, pants and helmet give a snowy vibe, etc... it just feels like it works for Upstate NY.

2 hours ago, Cujo said:

I wish I knew what the Bills were thinking then they decided to shart on their AFC dynasty unis

-4e60ba67d8a51001.JPG

They were trying to do something like the Patriots' Brady-era look.

57 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I think they were going after slightly derpy CFL aesthetics in a bid to capture the Toronto market -- not quite the Argonauts' double blue, but a double blue.

They come off like someone smashed the Argos' and Als' uniforms together.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Pyromania1983 said:

I think most of these teams would be doing this anyway even if it wasn’t a rule. They think it’s cool for things to be the same color. I would rather not have the alternate helmets at all.

3 hours ago, IceCap said:

I wasn't even going there. I just think blue and white feels Buffalo. The city flag, the heavy white accents, pants and helmet give a snowy vibe, etc... it just feels like it works for Upstate NY.

Oh, I was making a pun. I agree on all counts. The snow was what I was really thinking of with the white, but I couldn’t resist a little jab. 

• Like 3