NFL 2023 Changes

DCarp1231

21 hours ago, Pigskin12 said:

Yup, right now they look too much like the Colts and Giants. Still don’t have a team that uses both blue and red elements (helmet and jersey). Closest thing was the Texans before they had to ruin that by wearing a red helmet with their red jerseys.

They look nothing like any of those teams.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

18 hours ago, shstpt1 said:

Not 100% true. The Panthers wore them with their black jerseys, while black is still their primary home jersey. Cowboys wore their White alternates with 2 completely different blue jerseys. 

They designated all black as their colorrush last year

19 hours ago, Cujo said:

I wish I knew what the Bills were thinking then they decided to shart on their AFC dynasty unis

-4e60ba67d8a51001.JPG

I can see the logic. The old uniforms had accumulated so many bad memories over the years, they were pretty much constant reminders of Wide Right and Music City Miracle. It's like the Falcons finally making a change a few years after 28-3, or the Lions rebranding after 0-16.

The execution was just off because it was 2002 and everything needed to have side panels. It doesn't help matters that they immediately started wearing monochrome every game when the uniforms weren't designed to be worn that way.

• Like 1

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Just now, Lights Out said:

when the uniforms weren't designed to be worn that way.

I don't think they were designed with much thought at all.

The white pants stripes had a pretty simple navy-red-navy pattern but on the navy pants it was nickel-white-nickel.

The numbers on the navy set were white with royal and nickel outlines while the numbers on the white set were royal with navy outlines. This created a disjointed look because the white jersey was designed to go with the navy pants but the jerseys were very heavy on double blue, yet royal never showed up on the navy pants. In fact the royal blue numbers on the white jerseys stick out like a sore thumb compared to everything else in the set. 

The helmet stripe was a jumbled mess because they tried to shove two shades of blue and nickel into a space that had a pretty simple striping pattern before. 

I can understand the desire to see some good in it all, I really can. But it's also fair to say it's a case of too many ideas and no willingness to cut any of them. 

Darkening the royal to navy across the board and adding silver ("nickel") would have been following every bad design trend in the 2000s but just doing that would have at least been a consistent look. By insisting they held onto royal blue though, they created a jumbled mess where even elements that were designed to be worn together didn't really mesh. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Pigskin12 said:

True. No similarities here at all. It's basically like comparing the Steelers to the Dolphins.

usa_today_11490598.0.jpg

619aa837e89f9.image.jpg?resize=1200,800

I bet you think the Maple Leafs and Rangers are too close for comfort too. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 10

13 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

the 2002 Bills redesign had some major CFL feel to it, not sure why. 12 year old me thought they were awesome...

...he was wrong

Here's the thing, and you're not the only person to kind of make this comment here, these Bills jerseys predate the CFL look by three years. Reebok didn't take over the CFL and do their thing until 2005. So if anything, the CFL redesign had some major Bills feeling to it.

toronto-argonauts-defensive-end-joe-mont

cfl-calgary-stampeders-vs-toronto-argona

27 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

The execution was just off because it was 2002 and everything needed to have side panels.

I think it was just what Reebok was doing at the time. They did the Bills and then did the entire CFL a few years later.

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

2 hours ago, monkeypower said:

Here's the thing, and you're not the only person to kind of make this comment here, these Bills jerseys predate the CFL look by three years. Reebok didn't take over the CFL and do their thing until 2005. So if anything, the CFL redesign had some major Bills feeling to it.

toronto-argonauts-defensive-end-joe-mont

cfl-calgary-stampeders-vs-toronto-argona

I think it was just what Reebok was doing at the time. They did the Bills and then did the entire CFL a few years later.

This was the Als' jersey in 2000, which seems like what Buffalo was trying to emulate in 2002. 

Anthony Calvillo #13

I think ESPN personalities were joking about how the Bilks looked like Montreal in preseason 2002…for some reason I remember Chris Berman saying something about the similarity. 

• Like 4

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

Creamsicles confirmed.

RE: THROWBACKS

To avoid games that will feature a clash of modern vs throwback uniforms, the NFL should’ve mandated a throwback look league-wide so that each team had an option to wear in these games.

For this matchup in particular, you’re going to have a 70’s-80’s look up against a current look, and it’ll be wonky; if the Lions were to wear a Throwback uniform, even if the periods didn’t exactly match, they’d at least have two old looks in the matchup, rather than a new vs old.

Imagine the Commanders facing off against the Bucs in this game, or the current Jets, Seahawks or Titans.  Now, imagine throwbacks for each of those 3 teams vs the Creamsicles.  

I believe the NFL used to do this, and they were full-on “Throwback Games”.  I wish they’d bring that back.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

To avoid games that will feature a clash of modern vs throwback uniforms, the NFL should’ve mandated a throwback look league-wide so that each team had an option to wear in these games.

For this matchup in particular, you’re going to have a 70’s-80’s look up against a current look, and it’ll be wonky; if the Lions were to wear a Throwback uniform, even if the periods didn’t exactly match, they’d at least have two old looks in the matchup, rather than a new vs old.

Imagine the Commanders facing off against the Bucs in this game, or the current Jets, Seahawks or Titans.  Now, imagine throwbacks for each of those 3 teams vs the Creamsicles.  

I believe the NFL used to do this, and they were full-on “Throwback Games”.  I wish they’d bring that back.

When the Raiders play the Titans (just picking two examples), do you force one or the other to wear a different uniform? It's what you're advocating, just on a different level.

Again, outside of us nerds here, nobody cares.

• Like 4

It's where I sit.

31 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

When the Raiders play the Titans (just picking two examples), do you force one or the other to wear a different uniform? It's what you're advocating, just on a different level.

Again, outside of us nerds here, nobody cares.

No.  That’s not what I’m advocating, because I’m specifically talking about Throwback alternates, not standard home & away uniforms.  I’m not sure that wasn’t clear.

2 hours ago, IceCap said:

I bet you think the Maple Leafs and Rangers are too close for comfort too. 

Nope. The Rangers use way more red than the Bills. All I'm saying is that the Bills would look more unique with a red helmet, and therefore I would welcome it, which was the original context of my post.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

No.  That’s not what I’m advocating, because I’m specifically talking about Throwback alternates, not standard home & away uniforms.  I’m not sure that wasn’t clear.

It's a visual conflict between modern and 'old'. As I said, it's a different level of the same problem. Why if the one is allowed wouldn't the other?

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

Thanksgiving Day Classics is what you're thinking of—well that and certain anniversary events. (I also wish the NFL would bring that back, too.)

That said, I remember clear as day the first creamsicle throwback game down in Tampa back in 2009...it was versus Green Bay, in direct sunlight, a few weekends ahead of Thanksgiving. And it was a thing of beauty:

tsk3tp6kjf9hr1etitzh.jpg

93043859.jpg.jpg

zwldslxta57ppqyyh38c.jpg

635546301424173319-93335254.jpg?width=66

aaron-getting-hit-vs.-the-bucs-in-2009.j

08-nov-2009-sammy-stroughter-18-of-the-b

(Tampa somehow won that game, by the way...and pretty handily. And yes i still have my "authentic" creamsicle throwback jersey from back then, as well...never getting rid of that. 😁

• Like 10
  • Love 6
  • Applause 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The NFL could have done "Throwback Thursdays" for TNF and given each team throwbacks for home and away, which would probably create more jersey sales than the Color Rush program did (especially b/c teams had to be forced to wear their already existing road uniforms after the color-on-color failed). 

But you know, I guess we will leave the logic to the people getting paid the big bucks

• Like 12
  • Applause 2