2023-24 NHL Jersey Changes

Chewbacca

This reminds me of the updated Ducks look from Mighty Ducks Game Changers. Like, it's close to the real thing, but feels like they didn't have thr budget for licensing.

swayoniceducks-min-scaled.jpeg

• Like 2
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

1 hour ago, Sport said:

It's a great color scheme that they should readopt full-time. My only issue with this alternate is it's close enough to the originals that it begs the question why not just wear the originals?  

Because they can sell something different?

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The older I get the more I start to resent teams who use multiple different uniforms. I really wish teams would stick with an identity that works and just nail it, instead of diluting their brand will throwbacks and cash-grab third jerseys. Rich coming from a Canucks fan but I'm certainly not excluding us either.

Worst offenders to me are:
Canes

Ducks

Canucks (although I appreciate the desire to stick with the blue and green for the most part)

Minnesota are slipping into this category

Arizona have done the right thing. Gone back to their originals and are just using it.

• Eyeroll 1

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

On 10/14/2023 at 4:10 PM, ruttep said:

So most recent would technically be Eastern Conference Finals Game 4.

Side note, red helmets on the road is completely atrocious. Please, Carolina, never do that again. You look like a minor league team that can't afford another helmet.

Well they've already done it for both their road games so far this season.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1
  • Hurl 1
  • Sad 1

I feel like the Canes are a team that tries way too hard to be "cool" and "different" with their brand. It started out with the "Bunch of Jerks" thing, which I think was a good response to old hockey men throwing a tantrum, but between making the black warning flags their primary, a road uniform with a nickname on it, randomly shuffling between different red jerseys, and wearing the red helmets on the road, stop it. You look ridiculous. Innovation is welcome, but what the Hurricanes do doesn't make any sense.

P.S. you don't deserve to wear Whalers throwbacks, stop it. Same way I feel about the Titans wearing Oilers throwbacks. You screwed your former city over, you don't get to dress up in your former look to make a quick buck in merchandise sales.

• Like 4
  • Applause 2

5 minutes ago, ruttep said:

I feel like the Canes are a team that tries way too hard to be "cool" and "different" with their brand. It started out with the "Bunch of Jerks" thing, which I think was a good response to old hockey men throwing a tantrum, but between making the black warning flags their primary, a road uniform with a nickname on it, randomly shuffling between different red jerseys, and wearing the red helmets on the road, stop it. You look ridiculous. Innovation is welcome, but what the Hurricanes do doesn't make any sense.

P.S. you don't deserve to wear Whalers throwbacks, stop it. Same way I feel about the Titans wearing Oilers throwbacks. You screwed your former city over, you don't get to dress up in your former look to make a quick buck in merchandise sales.

Agree 100% with this post.

First on the Canes... on top of all of their weird uniform choices, none of them are actually "innovative." They are  choices just to be different. 

As far as the Whalers/Oilers throwbacks, you hit the nail on the head. It's a complete money grab. Which tears me apart because both the Whalers and Oilers are two of my favorite looks in both sports. I love seeing them being used, but deep down, it just doesn't feel right. This is also coming from a guy that owns two Whalers hats, so I guess my will power isn't strong enough to resist the money grab 😂

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Sport said:

It's a great color scheme that they should readopt full-time. My only issue with this alternate is it's close enough to the originals that it begs the question why not just wear the originals?  

I think they wanted to recreate the relative success they had with the 25th anniversary jersey and again go with a larger encompassing "anniversary" jersey as opposed to just a throwback. I don't think the answer is as simple as just "money", I think they do like to make an attempt to play around with that stuff and attempt to combine eras.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

The Canes' red helmet on the road looks great. It's excellent color blocking, pairing very nicely with the red shorts. I hope more teams start wearing colored helmets on the road. More color is a good thing!

• Like 4
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 7

the user formerly known as cdclt

40 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

As far as the Whalers/Oilers throwbacks, you hit the nail on the head. It's a complete money grab. Which tears me apart because both the Whalers and Oilers are two of my favorite looks in both sports. I love seeing them being used, but deep down, it just doesn't feel right. This is also coming from a guy that owns two Whalers hats, so I guess my will power isn't strong enough to resist the money grab 😂

Pretty much every alternate jersey ever created has been a money grab. We just had 2 different iterations of the Reverse Retro program, which was about as blatant of a money grab as we've seen. That doesn't necessarily make the jerseys bad.

The Whalers are never coming back, and Hartford won't ever be getting another team, so I don't have a major issue with the Canes doing the odd throwback night. It's the only chance we'll have to see it on the ice. The Oilers/Titans situation is a little different since the NFL also happens to have another team in Houston. The Dallas Stars could use North Stars throwbacks if they wanted, but they're wise enough to leave that for the team that actually plays in the Twin Cities.

8 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

I think they wanted to recreate the relative success they had with the 25th anniversary jersey and again go with a larger encompassing "anniversary" jersey as opposed to just a throwback. I don't think the answer is as simple as just "money", I think they do like to make an attempt to play around with that stuff and attempt to combine eras.

Much like the 25th anniversary, I'm sure the fans would be happier to just see the team bring back the throwbacks. Except this means that fans who already own Mighty Ducks jerseys likely won't bother buying a new one. Coming up with these franken-backs still manages to scratch the Disney itch, while also encouraging fans to buy new jerseys.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, CDCLT said:

The Canes' red helmet on the road looks great. It's excellent color blocking, pairing very nicely with the red shorts. I hope more teams start wearing colored helmets on the road. More color is a good thing!

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 3
  • Dislike 2

I mean, I don't think it's terrible, honestly, and it's not like it's unprecedented in the NHL's history for white jerseys to have dark helmets, as seen with the Avs;

spacer.png

Nor is it unusual in international competition;

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And that's not even getting into all the minor and junior teams that do it.

• Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Dislike 1

21 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

I mean, I don't think it's terrible, honestly, and it's not like it's unprecedented in the NHL's history for white jerseys to have dark helmets, as seen with the Avs;

spacer.png

This is the only one I dislike but that has more to do with my distaste for the Avs using black gear than not liking colored helmets. Slate blue would look pretty good, in my opinion.

• Like 5
  • Dislike 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

And that's not even getting into all the minor and junior teams that do it.

Call me an old man yelling at clouds, but I just don't like colored helmets with white jerseys in the NHL, with the occasional exception of WC/HC jerseys. White helmets have been worn with white jerseys since the NHL started wearing helmets, and I like it that way.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ridleylash said:

spacer.png

Okay now hold up...we need to talk about those—Germany, is it?—uniforms for a hot second...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

6 hours ago, ruttep said:

If you understand them as a team by and for The Internet, everything they do makes perfect sense.

• LOL 1
  • Yawn 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫