College Football 2023

MJWalker45

38 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Here’s an idea:  no more national champions. You get conference titles and bowls as reward for winning a conference. That’s it.

Every method for finding a national champion is bafflingly stupid and we are better off without them.

No argument here. It seems like that was the intent with College Football back in the day. It used to be that our goal as Ohio State fans was to win the Big Ten and go to the Rose Bowl. If a bunch of idiot sports writers held a vote after that and decided we were National Champions, it was just icing on the cake. I may be wrong, but it feels like this obsession with winning a NC is a fairly recent development.

• Like 6

BB52Big.jpg

23 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

No argument here. It seems like that was the intent with College Football back in the day. It used to be that our goal as Ohio State fans was to win the Big Ten and go to the Rose Bowl. If a bunch of idiot sports writers held a vote after that and decided we were National Champions, it was just icing on the cake. I may be wrong, but it feels like this obsession with winning a NC is a fairly recent development.

This is the way. This is how I am as a MAC fan and it's nice (except my school never wins the MAC while the vile and despicable Redhawks fall assbackwards into a title every five years or so in between seasons of being laughably bad). You just get to worry about your little league, you don't have to pay attention to all of college football, which feels huge and overwhelming. You just focus on your little section of the country. Well, at least you used to when the conferences were like ten teams and made geographic sense. They even killed that. 

It's really funny to me if you look back at like the 30's and 40's and how many teams claim national championships for the same year. It was kind of a joke. 

• Like 4

PvO6ZWJ.png

15 minutes ago, Sport said:

It's really funny to me if you look back at like the 30's and 40's and how many teams claim national championships for the same year. It was kind of a joke. 

In 1960, Ohio State "won" a "National Championship" because they were voted #1 in what was essentially the Penny Saver Poll.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

In 1960, Ohio State "won" a "National Championship" because they were voted #1 in what was essentially the Penny Saver Poll.

The faculty voted to turn down the invitation to the Rose Bowl because "Football was becoming too big at The Ohio State University" and I've always kind of thought that maybe they had a point. LOL Can you imagine that ever happening now? 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I agree the sport was better off when it was less focused on championships. Now this half-assed attempt to normalize it while clinging to the older traditions has left it in the worst possible spot. Add to that NIL and the transfer portal (which are great if there’s a better way to implement it) and it’s just in a terrible place right now. 

• Like 5

IUe6Hvh.png

9 minutes ago, Sport said:

The faculty voted to turn down the invitation to the Rose Bowl because "Football was becoming too big at The Ohio State University" and I've always kind of thought that maybe they had a point. LOL Can you imagine that ever happening now? 

My former school had a Sunday rule, similar to BYU. When they moved up to Division II from NAIA, that rule was weirdly forgotten as soon as they were approved. To be fair, they also didn't allow dancing when I went there, but had "creative movement" classes for those seeking a BA in theater arts. Now they are happy to call things exactly what they are. If we still had a football team they would not vote to sit out the playoffs if the championship game was moved to Sundays. BYU reportedly still has this rule, but other than the NCAA men's tournament a couple years ago, I've never heard them invoke it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

35 minutes ago, See Red said:

This is what I've been saying! Wait... did the NCAA just steal my idea?🤔

JK

Move the power conferences up to their own level with more autonomy. Let the FBS (Group of 5/6 plus schools from FCS) be the "minor league" level, and so on down the divisional ladder.

P4 schools that don't feel like they'd be able to compete, NIL-wise, could remain in FBS (Maybe Vanderbilt, for example?) if they wanted.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, McCall said:

This is what I've been saying! Wait... did the NCAA just steal my idea?🤔

JK

Move the power conferences up to their own level with more autonomy. Let the FBS (Group of 5/6 plus schools from FCS) be the "minor league" level, and so on down the divisional ladder.

P4 schools that don't feel like they'd be able to compete, NIL-wise, could remain in FBS (Maybe Vanderbilt, for example?) if they wanted.

They are only doing this so it will turn them into more like gig workers than e.ployees who could (and should, IMO) unionize.

3 hours ago, McCall said:

I know this will create tension, but make an NCAA Premier League with the top 48 or so (you could argue the SEC and B10 already are doing this).  Then the ACC, Big 12, and G5 would be Div1 FBS, and FCS would remain unchanged.  Each tier has their own playoff and natty.

Conveniently, just saw this podcast video.

19 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

All this talk about Florida State has me thinking... they need to be mad at Georgia for losing the SEC Championship Game.

If it wasn't for the Bulldogs losing, they're more then likely in the playoff as you would have four unbeaten teams and a one loss Texas team as Big 12 Champion. Guess who gets hosed there?

This would make sense at first glance, but I'm honestly still halfway convinced they would have still jumped Texas ahead of FSU, even though Texas' win vs. Alabama would be slightly less important. What really would have helped was if Alabama didn't convert their miraculous 4th-&-31 against Auburn, as there wouldn't have been a 5th team that had any "realistic" qualms with being left out.

19 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

So, for all the talk of Florida State boycotting the game and stuff... I say nay. Go out there and beat the Bulldogs senseless. Make an example out of them and let the committee know that they screwed up.

Although I wouldn't endorse boycotting the game, I will say, playing Georgia still looks like a lose-lose for them. If they beat Georgia, people will say that it's because Georgia didn't care and that a lot of their best players sat out because of the NFL draft. If they lose, it only confirms people's previously held beliefs of SEC superiority.

It does make me wonder what would happen if FSU beats Georgia, remaining undefeated at 14-0, while Texas or Alabama wins the title with one loss, leaving FSU as the only undefeated team.

6 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Here’s an idea:  no more national champions. You get conference titles and bowls as reward for winning a conference. That’s it.

Every method for finding a national champion is bafflingly stupid and we are better off without them.

Although I'd probably be fine with that on a personal level, I don't think it'd be realistic. Especially from a cynical point-of-view, it'd be leaving millions of dollars on the table by not having the best teams from each conference play each other. 

I think there's a way to make it work, so long as it's grounded by objective criteria such as a conference championship, but obviously the current system does not really fit that bill.

6 hours ago, Sport said:

The playoff should be the Champions League where all the conference champions go, no at large bids, and I don't see why that would be stupid. No good reason you should be able to win the National Championship if you couldn't win your smaller conference championship. I'm an OSU fan, they shouldn't have been in the playoff a year ago and I'm sort of glad they didn't make it this year. The only reason they don't do it that way is because they want to game the matchups to best fit their TV event. People would whine that one loss Georgia is better than Florida State or whoever wins the AAC and they're probably correct, but to them I say tough boogers shoulda beat Alabama. 

Exactly. The ideal for me would be to have 4 or 8 conferences total, and have each conference champion play each other in the playoff. It preserves (and even probably amplifies) the importance of the conference championship games while still having the grand playoff at the end of the year where the best teams play each other. The main difference is that it'd be decided on the field, objectively, instead of in a secret room by a random committee.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

It does make me wonder what would happen if FSU beats Georgia, remaining undefeated at 14-0, while Texas or Alabama wins the title with one loss, leaving FSU as the only undefeated team.

AP should vote for FSU if they dismantle and blow out Georgia and all the other one loss teams win ugly (and barely). I mean if Texas beating Alabama meant something, then FSU beating Georgia (who beat Alabama) must also mean something, too. (CFP committee doesn't care about logic anyway.) If Michigan or Washington wins, then it should be a no-brainer who should be number 1.

5 hours ago, Sport said:

From that to total football factory in approximately 50 years. Impressive.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg