College Football 2023

MJWalker45

Daniels winning the Heisman is a testament to his body of work this season - nearly 5000 total yards of offense and 50 total touchdowns.

He didn't have a breakout moment per se, but his body of work was pretty hard to ignore.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, dont care said:

Did Tebow have a “heisman moment” the year he won?

I believe what's considered Tebow's "Heisman moment" isn't really a moment but a full game where he had 7 TD's (5 rushing, 2 passing) vs South Carolina, so I guess not.

In that same sense, maybe Daniels' "Heisman moment" would be his 600+ yard game vs. Florida?

• Like 2

IUe6Hvh.png

Proof that the new timing rules are speeding up football. Army and Navy probably threw more passes today than the last 5 years and the game was still over in under three hours. That being said, that was one of the better endings to the game in quite a while.

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

The Heisman trophy has reached its nadir. I never heard this guy's name all season, and I watched a good amount of football

Clearly you didn't or you would've heard of him. Plus, whether or not you heard of a guy is not exactly the barometer for determining the best player in the country.

• Like 4

On 12/7/2023 at 10:28 AM, MJWalker45 said:

The surprising bit of this is that Notre Dame agreed to this, because they don't want to be tied down to a conference. They're part of the ACC for everything else except hockey, but are beholden to staying independent in football. They're also expecting that with a 10-2 or 9-3 season they'll make a 12 team field without issues. And if the same committee is used, they're right. Notre Dame's schedule at 12-0 should be enough for the #1 seed, but unless it's written into the contracts it's moot. 

Minor note here, the #1 seed is … not going to be all that it's made out to be. Play out this season with next year's conference alignment and the 12-team playoff format … if you were Georgia a week ago, would you rather:

• Win the SEC championship, be the #1 seed, and play your quarterfinal at a neutral site between the winner of, say, #8 Alabama vs. #9 Oregon
  • Lose the SEC championship, be the #5 seed, host Liberty in the first round, and then play Big XII champion Arizona in the quarterfinal

If we're quickly moving toward a place where almost all the good teams are in two conferences, it means most of the good teams are going to be at-larges and not taking up the #3 and (particularly) the #4 seed. This trend was probably happening anyway before the implosion of the Pac-12, but especially now, and why it's not a huge deal that Notre Dame can't be better than the #5 seed (which they should always be at 12-0).

Looking at prior years with future conference alignment, the #5 seed would play (rankings are final CFP rankings):

• 2023: No. 23 Liberty (13-0 C-USA) + No. 14 Arizona (9-3 Big XII*)
  • 2022: No. 16 Tulane (11-2 AAC) + No. 7 Clemson (11-2 ACC)
  • 2021: No. 23 Louisiana (12-1 Sun Belt) + No. 12 Pittsburgh (11-2 ACC)
  • 2020: No. 12 Coastal Carolina (11-0 Sun Belt) + No. 8 Cincinnati (9-0 Big XII*)
  • 2019: No. 17 Memphis (12-1 AAC) + No. 7 Baylor (11-2 Big XII)
  • 2018: No. 21 Fresno State (11-2 MWC) + No. 8 UCF (12-0 Big XII*)
  • 2017: No. 20 Memphis (10-2 AAC) + No. 12 UCF (12-0 Big XII*)
  • 2016: No. 15 Western Michigan (13-0 MAC) + No. 10 Colorado (10-3 Big XII*)
  • 2015: No. 21 Navy (10-2 AAC) + No. 11 TCU (10-2 Big XII)
  • 2014: No. 20 Boise State (11-2 MWC) + No. 5 Baylor (11-1 Big XII)

Obviously some power dynamics will change some, but in the CFP era, the 33 ACC or Big XII members for 2024 have combined to produce multiple national title contenders … once in 10 years? Maybe two or three times if you want to make a case that those UCF teams would've gone 12-1 or 13-0 in the Big XII?

Every year, the #5 seed would've set up to play a non-power team at home in the first round — and there's no obvious non-power programs right now lined up to play at the level UCF or Cincinnati have shown — and then mostly get a not-super-competitive ACC or Big XII winner in the second round. I'd much rather play that then getting someone from the glut of Big Ten and specifically SEC teams that are going to go 10-2 or 9-3 and end up in the 8/9 game.

This is the primary reason I expect the conference championship requirement to get a bye to go away for the new contract in 2026, BTW.

• Like 1

6fQjS3M.png

14 hours ago, McCall said:

Clearly you didn't or you would've heard of him. Plus, whether or not you heard of a guy is not exactly the barometer for determining the best player in the country.

I heard plenty about Williams, then Penix, then Nix. Daniels captaining a team that had no expectation to win their division let alone their conference surely had something to do with the lack of hype.

• LOL 3
  • Yawn 1

57 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I head plenty about Williams, then Penix, then Nix. Daniels captaining a team that had no expectation to win their division let alone their conference surely had something to do with the lack of hype.

So just the west coast guys. Got it.🙄

On a national scale, however, it was pretty clear that Daniels was the best player and clear favorite.

• Like 2

I think everyone wanted it to be Caleb Williams, and when it wasn't it was hard to switch gears to someone else.

• Like 3
  • Huh? 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

21 hours ago, McCall said:

The 3 biggest games on LSU's schedule they lost. SEC wasn't very deep this year either. Idk it wasn't a good year for the Heisman but I would of given it to Penix.

• LOL 2

40 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

The 3 biggest games on LSU's schedule they lost. SEC wasn't very deep this year either. Idk it wasn't a good year for the Heisman but I would of given it to Penix.

Penix had the better team, Daniel’s had 1000 more yards, and 17 more touchdowns. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, dont care said:

Penix had the better team, Daniel’s had 1000 more yards, and 17 more touchdowns. 

Like I said it was a bad year for the Heisman, no one fully grabbed the national attention like a lot of Heismans do. If Washington played on the east coast though then Penix and this Washington might of been the media darlings. Certainly no one will admit the Pac-12 was the deepest conference this year either.