College Football 2023

MJWalker45

30 minutes ago, FiddySicks said:

I actually wonder if the expanded playoff is going to make it even worse. I could see a good handful of prospective first/second round guys looking at the prospect of playing increasingly more difficult/competitive teams for four extra weeks and saying lol nope. Not even a college title is worth the risk of having to play Michigan, Bama, and Georgia (or whoever) three straight weeks. 

Yeah it could go both ways.  On one hand, they don't want to risk having bad tape if they get lit up by top competition for 4 weeks.  On the other hand, a late 1st-rd or 2nd-rd guy could be on himself and use it as an opportunity to get good tape of him playing well against the top talent.  Possibly even passing a guy that opted out.  Unless you're a sure-fire top-10 or top-15 guy, it's such a hard choice to make.  It's all millions of dollars, but the top half of the 1st round is many more millions.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

5 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Yeah it could go both ways.  On one hand, they don't want to risk having bad tape if they get lit up by top competition for 4 weeks.  On the other hand, a late 1st-rd or 2nd-rd guy could be on himself and use it as an opportunity to get good tape of him playing well against the top talent.  Possibly even passing a guy that opted out.  Unless you're a sure-fire top-10 or top-15 guy, it's such a hard choice to make.  It's all millions of dollars, but the top half of the 1st round is many more millions.

The transfer portal needs to stay closed until after bowls/playoffs as well. I know some of the guys still out there were waiting to see what recruits went where. I also found it strange to see guys on playoff teams jumping ship this year. Granted they were 3rd and 4th string, but I'd probably stay put at least until playoffs ended.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The fact that I'm far more interested in watching my Toledo Rockets play Wyoming in the Barstool Sports Bowl than I was in watching my beloved Buckeyes play Missouri in the Cotton Bowl (which would have been a helluva match up under normal circumstances) pretty well sums up where we're at with the Bowl Season this year.

• Like 3

BB52Big.jpg

19 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The fact that I'm far more interested in watching my Toledo Rockets play Wyoming in the Barstool Sports Bowl than I was in watching my beloved Buckeyes play Missouri in the Cotton Bowl (which would have been a helluva match up under normal circumstances) pretty well sums up where we're at with the Bowl Season this year.

Agreed. Watching my alma mater winning at the moment is only slightly more enjoyable because Hugh Freeze is losing as a result.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

Agreed. Watching my alma mater winning at the moment is only slightly more enjoyable because Hugh Freeze is losing as a result.

The downside to the Arizona Bowl is that Barstool Sports is doing the broadcast. I've seen cable access stations do a better job. It is truly awful. Tank did the coin toss so there's that, I guess. 

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

6 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

The downside to the Arizona Bowl is that Barstool Sports is doing the broadcast. I've seen cable access stations do a better job. It is truly awful. Tank did the coin toss so there's that, I guess. 

Oddly enough, if your area has a CW Network... it has the game. Which is a win for both sides - a bowl game NOT on ESPN and a football game on the CW, of all networks.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Oddly enough, if your area has a CW Network... it has the game. Which is a win for both sides - a bowl game NOT on ESPN and a football game on the CW, of all networks.

Still has the downside of Barstool Sports though. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

I'm watching it on our local CW station, but it's just the Barstool stream on TV.  I still have to suffer through the announcers and their BS. 

BB52Big.jpg

1 minute ago, infrared41 said:

I'm watching it on our local CW station, but it's just the Barstool stream on TV.  I still have to suffer through the announcers and their BS. 

I don't think I've ever heard a commentator call a player a moron before. 

spacer.png

Y'all aren't joking. This barstool coverage is really bad. I don't know what other content Barstool puts out, but they're just rapid-firing bad joke after bad joke.

It reminds me a lot of the Dennis Miller experiment.

EDIT:  even the commercials are rotten.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

23 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Y'all aren't joking. This barstool coverage is really bad. I don't know what other content Barstool puts out, but they're just rapid-firing bad joke after bad joke.

Considering that this is probably Barstool's "premier" event, I can't say I have high hopes for anything else they do.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

41 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Considering that this is probably Barstool's "premier" event, I can't say I have high hopes for anything else they do.

It was more so the Penn Gambling Bowl, but Penn was using Barstool as essentially their marketing department while they owned Barstool. I don't think Barstool ever really wanted to do it all that much and definitely don't now. Portnoy has said previously they're getting out of live sports after today with the bowl sponsorship contract being done.

Regardless of it not being their premier event, it's still pretty par for the course for large Barstool production though.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It reminds me a lot of the Dennis Miller experiment.

EDIT:  even the commercials are rotten.

Remember, they employ Tank.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

The NIL and transfer portal have put a ton more power in the players' hands that didn't exist before.

If labor exercising their power means an entire system of exhibition games that don't provide any additional incentives needs to go, then that entire system of exhibition games needs to go.

Start giving participation bonuses for these bowl games that are scaled to the level of impact for key players, and then you might have something.

I think what we may see is some sort of 'NIL-umbrella deal' that bowls will make with the teams picked to play in them. So, that players will be incentivized to still play. Sure, some Future First Round Pick might still opt out, but a lot of kids will take the $10k-$20k etc for one extra game.

Another option may be college football moving into some sort of NIT like tournament structure under the CFP level. Where, again, there's some reward at the end for the winners (maybe a few million to the winning team's players). Games will be at host schools and not neutral sites. While a few 'marquee' places stick around. Such as Bahamas, Orlando, Miami, New Orleans, Hawaii, etc can still live on 'vacation status' alone.

• Like 3