2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

12 minutes ago, kaleb_girod said:

This has probably been talked about here before, but anybody else think the Broncos should’ve never made orange their primary jerseys and kept the navy?

Or is it just me?

Oh it's definitely been discussed here before...namely by me. And no, the Broncos shouldn't have made their current orange jerseys their primary. That set was so obviously designed for navy to be the primary, but as I understand it the fans pushed for the orange shirts to be the primary dark tops, so here we are. 

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

28 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Oh it's definitely been discussed here before...namely by me. And no, the Broncos shouldn't have made their current orange jerseys their primary. That set was so obviously designed for navy to be the primary, but as I understand it the fans pushed for the orange shirts to be the primary dark tops, so here we are. 

As much as I don't like the Toughening (Thanks @timjameskohler) of the 90's and 2000's now, the Broncos new uniforms were definitely made with navy in mind. If it were up to us, we would just clone and recolor the Color Rush jerseys. Though I would keep the current numbers though. 

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

They did this last year

JACKSONVILLE-JAGUARS-VS-DENVER-BRONCOS.j

This is not nearly as bad as wearing white socks with the orange jerseys/white pants or with white jerseys/white pants combos. They also had the orange stripe on the socks last year while this year they have gone with solid navy or solid white socks except for the Super Bowl reunion game.

12 minutes ago, GoHawks said:

This is not nearly as bad as wearing white socks with the orange jerseys/white pants or with white jerseys/white pants combos. They also had the orange stripe on the socks last year while this year they have gone with solid navy or solid white socks except for the Super Bowl reunion game.

Disagree. The fundamental design of these uniforms is for the side panels on the jersey to match up with the pant stripe. That's why there's separate white pants for the navy jersey (orange side panel) and the white/orange jerseys (navy side panel). Those navy pants were only ever meant to be worn with the navy jersey, hence the orange stripe. By mixing and matching, you squander the one decent design element in this uniform. The all white we saw tonight was gross, but white jersey/navy leggings was worse.

I don't like side panels, and I don't like monochrome, but something about this uniform has grown on me over time. I actually really enjoy seeing these now.

slyt6kx5h2qzyw9xzrkx.jpg

I think something about the big, orange stripes breaking up the monochrome works for me. In a division with red and powder blue teams, this solid navy acts as a nice contrast, too. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, kaleb_girod said:

This has probably been talked about here before, but anybody else think the Broncos should’ve never made orange their primary jerseys and kept the navy?

Or is it just me?

They are the Edmonton Oilers of the NFL. I will always think they will look better in blue.

• Dislike 1

59 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I don't like side panels, and I don't like monochrome, but something about this uniform has grown on me over time. I actually really enjoy seeing these now.

slyt6kx5h2qzyw9xzrkx.jpg

I think something about the big, orange stripes breaking up the monochrome works for me. In a division with red and powder blue teams, this solid navy acts as a nice contrast, too. 

The abundance of orange makes this uniform work and clash nicely with just about any opponent's uniform. It simply looks better than the orange jerseys both within the division and outside. 

If a team like the Falcons would utilize red as a secondary color in this manner, their all-black uniform would be more tolerable.

• Like 1

That picture really, REALLY enforces the fact that the Broncos uniforms were absolutely designed to be Navy/Navy/Navy. The orange alternate was trotted out to appeal to the fans    sell merchandise and then repurposed as the primary to appeal to fans. It was never meant to be the primary and it shows. For better or for worse, the navy functions much better.

Denver, you want orange primary jerseys? Use the Color Rush/90s throwback. Permanently. Forever.

I will accept mono-orange for every home game if means never having to see these current abominations ever again. 

12 hours ago, MrAstrodome said:

As much as I don't like the Toughening (Thanks @timjameskohler) of the 90's and 2000's now, the Broncos new uniforms were definitely made with navy in mind. If it were up to us, we would just clone and recolor the Color Rush jerseys. Though I would keep the current numbers though. 

At last, my life is complete—I’ve created a uni-centric glossary term. Mr. Lucas, are you listening? 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, timjameskohler said:

That picture really, REALLY enforces the fact that the Broncos uniforms were absolutely designed to be Navy/Navy/Navy. The orange alternate was trotted out to appeal to the fans    sell merchandise and then repurposed as the primary to appeal to fans. It was never meant to be the primary and it shows. For better or for worse, the navy functions much better.

Denver, you want orange primary jerseys? Use the Color Rush/90s throwback. Permanently. Forever.

I will accept mono-orange for every home game if means never having to see these current abominations ever again. 

As long as they change back to royal blue and their previous shade of orange. Navy blue and the current orange are one of the most flat, boring color combos out there when applied to an orange jersey. As others have said, it actually works for a navy jersey, surprisingly enough.

4 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

slyt6kx5h2qzyw9xzrkx.jpg

I feel like we're in a weird spot with this uniform. On the one hand, this still looks about as modern today (at least to me) as it did on day 1 in '96 (which is about all the aggrandizement Nike needs to further their own ambitions, no? lol). The navy pops off that orange SO well. I've always questioned, though, why they made the side panels navy on the white uniforms??? Orange against white has decent enough contrast (see Volunteers, Tennessee for definitive proof).

On the other hand, this set has also been around for dang near 30 years now; in fact, it's older than a good number of the posters reading this 😄. That combined with the, (what, tempation? Urge? Peer pressure?) to modernize in some way means I'll be very surprised if these make it past 2025. I wouldn't be mad about it if they did. But given Nike's track record of designing for the moment (which is how we get otherwise dang-near-similar uniform designs like the New York Jets and Atlanta Falcons, which came out dang near together right after a new template design), added to their self-stated goal/ambition of "moving design forward" (which I'm not totally opposed to but at the same time it's led to some, um, "stuff" out there, like the Rams), I'm also half-afraid of what they may come up with next for the Broncos. Whatever the case, I think they should at bare minimum keep the number/NOB font.

46 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I'd love to see the Bengals try out the orange-white-white-orange combination. I really enjoyed it in their old set.

IWshRAe.jpg

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

Best uniforms in Bengals history. Change my mind.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I would rate those two in the order shown. And speaking of which, have the Bengals yet worn their current white-over-whites with orange socks? If not, I don't know how they haven't yet...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

25 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I feel like we're in a weird spot with this uniform. On the one hand, this still looks about as modern today (at least to me) as it did on day 1 in '96 (which is about all the aggrandizement Nike needs to further their own ambitions, no? lol). The navy pops off that orange SO well. I've always questioned, though, why they made the side panels navy on the white uniforms??? Orange against white has decent enough contrast (see Volunteers, Tennessee for definitive proof).

On the other hand, this set has also been around for dang near 30 years now; in fact, it's older than a good number of the posters reading this 😄. That combined with the, (what, tempation? Urge? Peer pressure?) to modernize in some way means I'll be very surprised if these make it past 2025. I wouldn't be mad about it if they did. But given Nike's track record of designing for the moment (which is how we get otherwise dang-near-similar uniform designs like the New York Jets and Atlanta Falcons, which came out dang near together right after a new template design), added to their self-stated goal/ambition of "moving design forward" (which I'm not totally opposed to but at the same time it's led to some, um, "stuff" out there, like the Rams), I'm also half-afraid of what they may come up with next for the Broncos. Whatever the case, I think they should at bare minimum keep the number/NOB font.

I would rate those two in the order shown. And speaking of which, have the Bengals yet worn their current white-over-whites with orange socks? If not, I don't know how they haven't yet...

The problem with their current white jersey is that there's barely any orange (there's only orange trim around the numbers). The decision to simplify the bengal stripes to the degree they have is the one major gripe I have with this uniform set. The one I posted above at least managed to put both black and orange on the bengal stripes. Simply put, the below combination with orange socks wouldn't make sense with how there's virtually no orange anywhere on that uniform except for the wordmark and helmet. The white pants with orange stripes wouldn't work here either because the stripes wouldn't match the jersey. If they simply added orange back to the striping shown below, this would be a top tier uniform, but they oversimplified it.

spacer.png

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I always felt like Nike really nailed a lot of their designs in the late 90s and early 2000s, both across the NFL and the NBA, certainly compared to the messes they crank out for the most part these days. For the Broncos, it seems like there's two camps, those who feel like the look is a modern classic, and those who hate it and want to go back the 80s era look. I'm in the former, but I can understand the latter.

• Like 1