2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

9 hours ago, ruttep said:

Also, the captain (or alternate captain if the captain is off the ice or if there is no captain) is the only player allowed to speak to the refs to protest or clarify a call.

This. They do serve a function in the sport. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ruttep said:

Looks like most, if not all, of the Niners are gonna be going with white socks. 

At least we might get some uniformity.

Looks like all the players shown have worn white instead of red in the past. 

I think we’re getting a mix, but primarily white like the Commanders game earlier this year. 

• Like 1

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

24 minutes ago, Germanshepherd said:

I think we’re getting a mix, but primarily white like the Commanders game earlier this year. 

Purdy wore red socks for that one, but he's primarily gone with white socks this season. The only other time I can think of him wearing red socks with the road jersey was Week 1.

20 hours ago, ruttep said:

the captain (or alternate captain if the captain is off the ice or if there is no captain) is the only player allowed to speak to the refs to protest or clarify a call.

Is that enforced?  Serious question.  Like in NFL, every time there's an incomplete pass, the receiver throws his hands up in the air and asks the ref why there wasn't a flag.  If that happened in hockey, or if the ref did call a guy for something he didn't do, he's not allowed to complain to the ref about it?

I'm used to the Cs and As in hockey and I get the tradition, so I'm not advocating for their removal, but I find it highly suspect that there's a practical need for them anymore.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

33 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Is that enforced?  Serious question.  Like in NFL, every time there's an incomplete pass, the receiver throws his hands up in the air and asks the ref why there wasn't a flag.  If that happened in hockey, or if the ref did call a guy for something he didn't do, he's not allowed to complain to the ref about it?

I'm used to the Cs and As in hockey and I get the tradition, so I'm not advocating for their removal, but I find it highly suspect that there's a practical need for them anymore.

I've seen it enforced, though not consistently. Sometimes, the refs will hit you with an unsportsmanlike. But in December, the Rangers and Kings played a game that got chippy towards the end. Both Kevin Fiala on the Kings and Mika Zibanejad on the Rangers (who is an alternate captain but was not wearing the "A" in that game) got game misconducts in the third period for complaining to the refs.

If Cs and As would prevent every player on each team from throwing their arms up and doing the "what?  no flag?" thing after literally every single play, then I'd be completely in favor of adding them to NFL uniforms.

Throw your arms up?  15-yards, disqualified, suspended for 4 games, and fined 50% of your salary.  Do it twice?  Expelled from the league and serve 6 months in County.

Basically this, but it's usually worse, and seemingly on 99% of pass plays.

de81e0d0-7740-11ee-bb77-f09412f98a63

• Like 1
  • LOL 4
  • Eyeroll 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

If Cs and As would prevent every player on each team from throwing their arms up and doing the "what?  no flag?" thing after literally every single play, then I'd be completely in favor of adding them to NFL uniforms.

Throw your arms up?  15-yards, disqualified, suspended for 4 games, and fined 50% of your salary.  Do it twice?  Expelled from the league and serve 6 months in County.

Basically this, but it's usually worse, and seemingly on 99% of pass plays.

de81e0d0-7740-11ee-bb77-f09412f98a63

It's true, on every single incompletion, every receiver in the NFL makes that gesture towards the refs. You then cut to replay and see the cleanest deflection of all time. That combined with Nick Sirianni admitting to fishing for a PI call is disgusting. I get penalties need to be enforced, but your rule system is broken when people automatically assume every pass breakup is a flag and start gaming the system to draw more flags. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

It's true, on every single incompletion, every receiver in the NFL makes that gesture towards the refs. You then cut to replay and see the cleanest deflection of all time. That combined with Nick Sirianni admitting to fishing for a PI call is disgusting. I get penalties need to be enforced, but your rule system is broken when people automatically assume every pass breakup is a flag and start gaming the system to draw more flags. 

Do you watch baseball? Does pitch framing mean anything to you?

How about soccer, where players fall to the ground as though shot by someone in the stands?

Basketball and its complaining about not having touched that player who got fouled.

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

8 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

How about soccer, where players fall to the ground as though shot by someone in the stands?

Basketball and its complaining about not having touched that player who got fouled.

Pitch framing in baseball does annoy me, yes.

I don't watch soccer or basketball.

• WOAH 1

10 hours ago, ruttep said:

That combined with Nick Sirianni admitting to fishing for a PI call is disgusting

He lied about that.  The players went rogue and called a stupid play, and he was on the spot and had to explain it so he made that up to protect the players.  They came out later and said they drew up that play in the huddle.  Wasn't supposed to be a deep pass.

But, coaches abolutely do call plays hoping or PI, and it sucks.  I'd probably call all long pass plays, becaue you'll eventually get the call.

9 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Catcher should be ejected.  There's a way to catch the ball so that your glove organically moves into the zone.  But what these guys do is move it after they catch it, which is insulting to both the viewer and umpire.  It's very distracting when watching the game, so I support a similar punishment to what I offered above:  1st offense, catcher is ejected.  2nd, he's suspended for 10 games.  3rd, 6 months in County.  4th... 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Yuck. Why are players allowed to choose their own sock colors? It should be uniform just like jerseys and pants. (Also, red, not white.)

• Like 5

Maybe a weird question (and maybe I am missing an obvious answer) but has there been a major championship game in another sport featuring 2 logos that are as conceptually similar as these? Both based on 2 overlapping letters representing the city. Very similar font. Colors somewhat similar.

spacer.png

• Like 14
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1
  • WOAH 1

15 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Maybe a weird question (and maybe I am missing an obvious answer) but has there been a major championship game in another sport featuring 2 logos that are as conceptually similar as these? Both based on 2 overlapping letters representing the city. Very similar font. Colors somewhat similar.

spacer.png

Both also include black, but there's no black to be found on the uniforms (sans helmet decal).

• Like 9

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

27 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

spacer.png

Read somewhere that the Chiefs logo was originally based on the Niners logo

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

spacer.png

2000 World Series - Mets Yankees

• Like 11

It's where I sit.

More footage of the photoshoots shows Nick Bosa not wearing any socks, which I doubt he'll do for the actual game (the fine for the Super Bowl is probably some ungodly amount). So maybe the photoshoots aren't 100% indicative of what we'll see on gameday?

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Sec19Row53 said:

2000 World Series - Mets Yankees

Yes. Also any of several Dodgers-Yankees Series since the Dodgers moved to LA. Yankees-Padres, 1998 (although the letters on the Padres’ caps were two different colors). Dodgers and Twins…um, sometime in the sixties, although same color issue as Yankees-Padres.  Um…have the Yankees and Cardinals played each other? Would that count? How about the White Sox’ script? Baseball does a lot of interlocking letters in logos. 

3 hours ago, ruttep said:

More footage of the photoshoots shows Nick Bosa not wearing any socks, which I doubt he'll do for the actual game (the fine for the Super Bowl is probably some ungodly amount). So maybe the photoshoots aren't 100% indicative of what we'll see on gameday?

Rather, no football socks. Black ankle socks instead. I hate wearing socks that short - I’m liable to get blisters on my heels or ankles.