2023 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVIII

canzman

18 minutes ago, canzman said:

Super Bowl LVIII
NFC Champion vs. AFC Champion
49ers vs. Chiefs
ggzYdxu.jpg AlSrTMh.jpg

I've been wanting to ask you about this since I joined the forum. Where did you get these graphics? I really like these. And if these are original creations, well done.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kaleb_girod said:

And the 49ers…

Yes there was a point when the 49ers had shiny gold pants too. Last time was in 2008.

They only wore metallic Gold pants during that uniform era from the late 90's to around that time.  Historically, they'd always worn a flat tan/gold pant.  Montana/Rice era for easy reference, but they wore them long before that, too.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

In case they flip the script.

spacer.png

I'm hopeful, if they do decide to not do a straight repeat of their last Super Bowl matchup, that they'd wear White/White.  

1228382ef730b6a061ab799f966c4ea4.jpg

Would be a nice contrast for the Chiefs to be in all-White.  They've also never worn this combination in their last 3 Super Bowl appearances, and it was Lamar Hunt's favorite...maybe they do it this year for Norma. 

They wore it in Super Bowl I and lost, though, for those who are superstitious.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HOOVER said:

They only wore metallic Gold pants during that uniform era from the late 90's to around that time.  Historically, they'd always worn a flat tan/gold pant.  Montana/Rice era for easy reference, but they wore them long before that, too.

Wasn't the 'shiny pants' a relic of that particular manufacturer (Reebok?). Cleveland had the shiny orange pants and a reason many fans didn't like them specifically. Some teams need shiny, though. New Orleans for example. Matte finish just looks rough. 49ers look better with matte as long as the helmet isn't too shiny.

8 hours ago, canzman said:

Super Bowl LVIII

NFC Champion vs. AFC Champion
49ers vs. Chiefs
ggzYdxu.jpg

At least SF got their sleeve stripes right this time around 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

6uXNWAo.png

19 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

It's times like this where I wish the 49ers still had their black uniform. Not that the alternates/throwbacks they have will go away, but whatever.

If the Chiefs wear red, the Niners wouldn’t wear black. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

27 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

If the Chiefs wear red, the Niners wouldn’t wear black. 

Imagine choosing a BFBS jersey, any day, let alone in the game's biggest game, over traditional white.

• Like 9
  • Applause 1

6uXNWAo.png

58 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

It's times like this where I wish the 49ers still had their black uniform. Not that the alternates/throwbacks they have will go away, but whatever.

The black jersey is a great fashion jersey for fans to purchase and wear. But wearing it on the field was one of the worst decisions in franchise history, epitomizing that dark era of 49ers football.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, bushy said:

I really do not look forward to seeing this matchup. 

I am not as Off about this matchup as many others could be.  It avoids monochromic or all white or all black - winning for me.  It also eliminates a tiring under the lights "bluefest" featuring teams of dark blues that could only be interesting with a prominent contrasting SB Patch.

• Like 3

I’ll be curious to see how this second matchup will look in comparison to the first. Both are being played on natural grass.

The Giants and Patriots are real close, but the fieldturf in matchup 2 gives it away.

The Cowboys and Bills were very easy to tell the matchups apart. One under Sunny Cali skies outdoors on grass while the other in a dank, dark dome on astroturf.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

I’ll be curious to see how this second matchup will look in comparison to the first. Both are being played on natural grass.

The Giants and Patriots are real close, but the fieldturf in matchup 2 gives it away.

The Cowboys and Bills were very easy to tell the matchups apart. One under Sunny Cali skies outdoors on grass while the other in a dank, dark dome on astroturf.

No matter what, LIV and LVIII will be immediately distinguishable from each other because the 49ers brought back their third sleeve stripe. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, AgentColon2 said:

Thought of this one again. All-time Super Bowl Rematches:

Miami Dolphins- Washington (VII, LA Coliseum; XVII, Rose Bowl)

Pittsburgh Steelers-Dallas Cowboys (X, Orange Bowl; XIII, Orange Bowl; XXX, Sun Devil Stadium)

San Francisco 49ers-Cincinnati Bengals (XVI, Silverdome; XXIII, Joe Robbie Stadium*)

Dallas Cowboys-Buffalo Bills (XXVII, Rose Bowl; XXVIII, Georgia Dome)

New England Patriots-St. Louis/Los Angeles Rams (XXXVI, Superdome; LIII, MBS, Atlanta)

New England Patriots-Philadelphia Eagles (XXXIX, Jacksonville; LII, Minneapolis)

New York Giants-New England Patriots (XLII, U of Phoenix Stadium; XLVI, Indianapolis)

Kansas City Chiefs-San Francisco 49ers (LIV, Joe Robbie Stadium*; LVIII, Las Vegas)

Of the matchups, PIT-DAL has happened three times. SF-CIN almost happened three times with SF's loss to LA in LVI. It was probably also the biggest surprise one until CIN made it to a third Super Bowl.  If you're outside the Philly fan base, I'd say that the NE-PHI might be the most overlooked multi-SB matchup if only because the first game in Jacksonville may only be remembered for Owens' antics and how underwhelming the game was for being as close as it was. Only DAL-BUF was in back-to-back years. Only one has featured a team that has relocated. MIA-WAS had probably the most noteworthy outcome (undefeated season) but the fact these two played twice seems entirely forgettable.

And onlyi one matchup has happened in the same venue twice: PIT-DAL in the Orange Bowl. Luckily. the Orange Bowl hosted five Super Bowls. Two on grass, the third on turf (BAL-DAL) and the two PIT-DAL games back on grass.

But in recent years, it feels like this shouldn't happen with the parity in the league. Yet, here we are with the same teams facing off just four years after the first.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Wasn't the 'shiny pants' a relic of that particular manufacturer (Reebok?). Cleveland had the shiny orange pants and a reason many fans didn't like them specifically. Some teams need shiny, though. New Orleans for example. Matte finish just looks rough. 49ers look better with matte as long as the helmet isn't too shiny.

Shiny fabrics are a relic of 80's & 90's athletic uniforms, regardless of manufacturer.  The current material that Nike uses is lighter, more durable, has more stretch, breathes better, dries faster, can have perforations for ventilation without getting destroyed, and more decoration ability.   It generally fits and performs better all-around.  It has been developed over the years with all those things in mind.  

Trends are cyclical, so don't rule out seeing shiny fabrics again, built better to perform better.

As far as looks, that's entirely subjective.  Some love & miss shiny pants, like the ones that the Cowboys still wear, while others (like me) prefer the matte fabrics. 

As for New Orleans, I think their Matte Gold throwback pants look great...it's the helmet that's the problem.

• Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

And onlyi one matchup has happened in the same venue twice: PIT-DAL in the Orange Bowl. Luckily. the Orange Bowl hosted five Super Bowls. Two on grass, the third on turf (BAL-DAL) and the two PIT-DAL games back on grass.

Super Bowl X was still on turf. You can also tell X and XIII apart because both teams wore bicentennial patches in Super Bowl X.

spacer.png