High School Football Super League? From the creator of the Spring League

MJWalker45

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/37805484/ex-usfl-prez-launching-spring-league-high-school-players

Woods said his league will use NCAA playing rules and will operate independent of high school state athletic associations, therefore giving players the chance to profit off their name, image and likeness without any restrictions.

League officials intend to have a season running from April 19 through May 24 with teams located in Atlanta, Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, New Jersey, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, and Tampa, Florida. Woods said he hopes to start hiring coaches in the next two to three months.

Woods said the league could supplement the recruiting camps and 7-on-7 programs that provide recruiting showcases for prospects during the months when they aren't playing high school football.

So this looks like those players in the ESPN Top 300 and a few more would be able to play football year round and make some money before college. The fact that it doesn't mention only high school seniors tells me this is capable of blurring a lot of lines for these players. A 6 game season isn't much, but unless those kids made sure to graduate prior to the league games, they'll be missing a lot of school. Will they be placed in a school at those locations, or have a deal with some online academy? As a parent, I would rather my kid not be attending this. Limiting the amounts of hits they'd take even before college, let alone the pros would lead me to think this is just another thing we can do without. And for high school eligibility, that may just go out the window, though some states do allow NIL deals in high school now. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• MJWalker45 changed the title to High School Football Super League? From the creator of the Spring League
12 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/37805484/ex-usfl-prez-launching-spring-league-high-school-players

Woods said his league will use NCAA playing rules and will operate independent of high school state athletic associations, therefore giving players the chance to profit off their name, image and likeness without any restrictions.

League officials intend to have a season running from April 19 through May 24 with teams located in Atlanta, Cleveland, Dallas, Houston, New Jersey, New Orleans, Los Angeles, Miami, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, and Tampa, Florida. Woods said he hopes to start hiring coaches in the next two to three months.

Woods said the league could supplement the recruiting camps and 7-on-7 programs that provide recruiting showcases for prospects during the months when they aren't playing high school football.

So this looks like those players in the ESPN Top 300 and a few more would be able to play football year round and make some money before college. The fact that it doesn't mention only high school seniors tells me this is capable of blurring a lot of lines for these players. A 6 game season isn't much, but unless those kids made sure to graduate prior to the league games, they'll be missing a lot of school. Will they be placed in a school at those locations, or have a deal with some online academy? As a parent, I would rather my kid not be attending this. Limiting the amounts of hits they'd take even before college, let alone the pros would lead me to think this is just another thing we can do without. And for high school eligibility, that may just go out the window, though some states do allow NIL deals in high school now. 

Many state associations don't allow kids to play on football teams during the off season and then be eligible in the fall. Ohio is one such state. Also not all states allow NIL so they'd instantly be ineligible. And unlike the college fight over NIL the high schools and associations aren't selling the player's NIL for video games, etc. So it would be hard to force many of them to accept this for players. 

Secondly, this league isn't providing insurance and underage kids traveling across state lines for sports dealing with their families insurance or state children's coverage for an injury that might detail their entire playing career for a few thousand possibly from an NIL deal since they're not actually getting paid. 

And which fans will be watching? 

This seems destined for failure. 

• Like 1

I thought Brian Woods left the USFL to spend more time with his family. Turns out he'd rather spend his time with other people's kids.

This reads like someone wants to make a full league out of Bishop Sycamores, which I guess could be lucrative until enough people catch on. Or maybe Brian still has the right phone numbers to loosen the purse strings at Fox.

• Like 1
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I think it might be a better idea if the league was more like "if you want to continue playing football after high school but don't want to get an education by going to college" format, but that would mean that prospects would have to have a 3 year commitment.  In other words, like the NBA G League Ignite except for three years instead of one.  

Instead it sounds more like Overtime Elite:

Overtime Elite - Wikipedia

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.si.com/fannation/college/cfb-hq/ncaa-football/georgia-football-dylan-raiola-transfer-buford

Not completely related, but Dylan Raiola has jumped ship from a school in Arizona, to a high school in Georgia, because he would have been suspended 5 games for breaking the transfer rules. This kid hasn't played at the same school 2 years in a row. I would expect this league to try latching on to players like this that chase schools that are likely to help boost their stats to get them higher up on the rankings, though Raiola is already there. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png