2023 NHL Offseason Thread

LMU

16 minutes ago, Unocal said:

Will we actually have a real SCF this season worth watching? VGK/FLA was anything but

I didn't mind it because we ended up with a first time champion.  I am a big fan of first time champions, and we got that in both the NBA and NHL.  I remember we had a run there with the Toronto Raptors , St. Louis Blues and Washington Nationals all winning their first championships in 2019. 

• Like 2

On 8/7/2023 at 4:44 PM, dont care said:

Just because you don’t like anything doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good playoffs

It was not a good playoffs just because it started off with all the round 1 stuff that got everyone in a tizzy.

This is what this terrible playoff format has gotten us the last decade- a postseason that peaks in round 1. At least the NCAA Tournament more often than not peaks after the first weekend.

Gary Bettman has created a postseason where all the excitement is packed into round 1, which isn't how things should be.

It's like when the Super Bowl from like 1984-1997 was anticlimactic.

1 hour ago, Unocal said:

It was not a good playoffs just because it started off with all the round 1 stuff that got everyone in a tizzy.

This is what this terrible playoff format has gotten us the last decade- a postseason that peaks in round 1. At least the NCAA Tournament more often than not peaks after the first weekend.

Gary Bettman has created a postseason where all the excitement is packed into round 1, which isn't how things should be.

It got you in a “tizzy” if that’s what you want to call it.

the playoffs where perfectly fine, just because you didn’t like the results doesn’t mean the vast majority still did.

false, you’re just repeating the same thing but blaming Bettman 

that was due to lack of parity, this years playoffs is proof that the NHL has as much or more parity than any other league in the US.

you not liking the result because you don’t like anything isn’t our problem it’s yours. Look in the mirror.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dont care said:

It got you in a “tizzy” if that’s what you want to call it.

the playoffs where perfectly fine, just because you didn’t like the results doesn’t mean the vast majority still did.

false, you’re just repeating the same thing but blaming Bettman 

that was due to lack of parity, this years playoffs is proof that the NHL has as much or more parity than any other league in the US.

you not liking the result because you don’t like anything isn’t our problem it’s yours. Look in the mirror.

I'm sure the vast majority loved seeing a boring SCF between a team nobody likes and a team nobody cares about

• Applause 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 1

8 hours ago, Unocal said:

I'm sure the vast majority loved seeing a boring SCF between a team nobody likes and a team nobody cares about

Replace the “nobody”s with “I don’t” and you’d be accurate. There are plenty of people who liked this year SC Playoffs. Unless you can find data to support your lack of an argument other than “I don’t like it so no one must like it” please stop with this tired and repetitive posting

• Like 1

On 8/12/2023 at 2:26 AM, Unocal said:

Will you get over this :censored: already? It happened, you didn't like it, move the hell on instead of constantly whinging about it. Literally nobody else in this thread is still talking about it.

• Like 1

We got first time champions in the NBA and NHL this year, and as someone who is a fan of first time champions, I enjoyed both championships.  I hope we get first time champions in the NFL, MLB and MLS, but I have my doubts about having a first time Super Bowl Winner this season.  

On 8/12/2023 at 4:50 AM, Unocal said:

When the league has 32 teams, it's better to have unpredictable outcomes than to have the same big markets in the finals every year.

• Like 2

On 8/17/2023 at 10:17 PM, habsfan1 said:

When the league has 32 teams, it's better to have unpredictable outcomes than to have the same big markets in the finals every year.

Especially when the two finalists have never won a Stanley Cup before, as was the case this last season.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Especially when the two finalists have never won a Stanley Cup before, as was the case this last season.  

Agreed. It's always cool and special to watch a Final with a franchise that has the chance to clinch their first title, sometimes after decades without much or any success. That certainly beats Warriors win lol or Yankees win lol.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2023 at 10:17 PM, habsfan1 said:

Unpredictability is not always a good thing. Remember 2012 when a 6 seed had home ice advantage in the Cup Finals? I don't want to go back to those days.

• Applause 1
  • Yawn 2
  • Dislike 3

2 hours ago, habsfan1 said:

Agreed. It's always cool and special to watch a Final with a franchise that has the chance to clinch their first title, sometimes after decades without much or any success. That certainly beats Warriors win lol or Yankees win lol.

We all know the user in question also complained non-stop about the Lightning being in their 3rd straight Cup Final the previous season, don't we?

• LOL 3

ffMc5dZ.png

Twitter: @RyanMcD29