2023 NHL Offseason Thread

LMU

• 3 weeks later...
19 hours ago, Shumway said:

George! He's back!

Love George! Speaking of Detroit, been seeing a lot of reports that they might be trading for Alex DeBrincat and only giving up a third and fourth round pick. Let’s hope, him and Larkin on the same line or even the same team excites me

6 minutes ago, Gary said:

Love George! Speaking of Detroit, been seeing a lot of reports that they might be trading for Alex DeBrincat and only giving up a third and fourth round pick. Let’s hope, him and Larkin on the same line or even the same team excites me

Not a chance they’re getting DeBrincat that cheap, especially when you see what the Jets got in return for Dubois. At the very least it would be a 1st rounder + another piece or two. Berggren has been mentioned a lot. 

38 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Not a chance they’re getting DeBrincat that cheap, especially when you see what the Jets got in return for Dubois. At the very least it would be a 1st rounder + another piece or two. Berggren has been mentioned a lot. 

I’m just going by reports, and I’ve also seen the 17th overall with Filipino Zadina with the second round next year. But if the third and fourth round was true. I would take it. I would buy tickets to the Mullett to watch him

Just now, spartacat_12 said:

Not to mention it would be an in-division trade. 

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Seeing Colton get dealt is tough, but Tampa Bay could use the draft capital.  Colton's an RFA this offseason and I have a hunch he'd get some high $$$ offers the Lightning couldn't match.  This deal reminds me of Carter Verhaege a few years ago, where the Lightning opted to let him go to Florida as an RFA and his career flourishes to this day.

I gave Kent Hughes the benefit of the doubt with choosing Slafkovsky over Wright. It hasn't worked out. So now Michkov is available and they pick an average defenseman over Mich and a few other skilled fowards still available. The Habs already have Hudson & Mailloux. What an awful decision.

On 6/29/2023 at 12:22 PM, GDAWG said:

So was it nerves?  

It wasn't nerves. It was disbelief that Montreal passed on the next Ovechkin for an average defenseman, in a draft stacked with offensive talents.

The pick has not been well received and it's completely understandable why fans are not happy.

• 4 weeks later...

I know people are saying this will finally be the end of the Bruins, but I'd still be surprised if they miss the playoffs this year. Obviously they're incredibly weak down the middle, but they've still got one of the best goal scorers in the league, a solid d corps, and one of the top goalie tandems. Even if they win 20 less games than they did last year, they should still be able to land a wild card spot. 

As a Sens fan I hope they fall out of it, but I wouldn't bet on it just yet.

Rocky Wirtz died. Complicated legacy: he did so much to undo the damage Bill did, but we can't forget some of the crap he pulled, like insisting that the Blackhawks were losing money while winning championships, and of course the whole blowup about the Beach scandal. A lot of bad things that happened were indeed the work of John McDonough, whom Rocky hired from the Cubs, of course.

I'm not greeting this with the glee with which I treated Bill Wirtz's timely demise, partly because I'm 16 years older but also because I don't see this as the beginning of a new era. Wirtzes are always gonna Wirtz on us eventually, we learned.

I will remember him as extremely rectangular.

• Like 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• 2 weeks later...

Most Caps fans seem happy about this deal, but it isn't even going to kick in until he's 30. I'd say there's a near zero chance that he makes it to the end of this contract in Washington. I'm guessing either a buyout or he gets to live out his last days on LTIR.

10 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

Most Caps fans seem happy about this deal, but it isn't even going to kick in until he's 30. I'd say there's a near zero chance that he makes it to the end of this contract in Washington. I'm guessing either a buyout or he gets to live out his last days on LTIR.

Or he could be traded to the coyotes like the rest of the misfit toys.

10 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

32 minutes ago, dont care said:

Or he could be traded to the coyotes like the rest of the misfit toys.

Wilson could possibly be the next Caps captain once Ovie retires. I doubt they'll trade him.

However, there is speculation that the Caps end up trading Mantha, Kuzy, or both during the upcoming season if playoffs aren't in reach.

On 7/25/2023 at 2:38 PM, spartacat_12 said:

I know people are saying this will finally be the end of the Bruins, but I'd still be surprised if they miss the playoffs this year. Obviously they're incredibly weak down the middle, but they've still got one of the best goal scorers in the league, a solid d corps, and one of the top goalie tandems. Even if they win 20 less games than they did last year, they should still be able to land a wild card spot. 

As a Sens fan I hope they fall out of it, but I wouldn't bet on it just yet.

They were a wild card 2 years ago