2023-24 NBA Season thread

TrueYankee26

New astroturfing script just dropped on the socials: "Isn't it wonderful that the small-market Indiana Pacers are in the (NBA meaningless meme cup) Finals? Isn't this great for the game? This is wonderful! This is what the IST is all about!" *we would have roofied Paul George and locked him in a vault to keep the small-market Indiana Pacers from eliminating Miami in 2013 or 2014

On 12/5/2023 at 10:47 AM, who do you think said:

(Hell, that's probably what this is all about; maybe the NBA is paranoid that fans of over half its franchises might be developing a complex about having zero chance to win in June - this year or ever - and this is how they think they can keep fans on the edge engaged. See, you guys can win a trophy too! Lol no not that trophy, Scott Foster is gonna fist your asses up to the shoulder in May, but we got a different trophy for you guys! A cooler trophy! This one was fought over on pink-and-green courts in Las Vegas while the NFL was still playing! See, there's a smile!)

I'm right.

• Like 1
  • Yawn 2

1 hour ago, who do you think said:

New astroturfing script just dropped on the socials: "Isn't it wonderful that the small-market Indiana Pacers are in the (NBA meaningless meme cup) Finals? Isn't this great for the game? This is wonderful! This is what the IST is all about!" *we would have roofied Paul George and locked him in a vault to keep the small-market Indiana Pacers from eliminating Miami in 2013 or 2014

I'm right.

I wouldn't be paying as much attention if the Lakers weren't excellint, but they are and it's been a lot of fun.

It's weird to say there's an astroturfing campaign though. I don't know what that's about.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

18 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's weird to say there's an astroturfing campaign though. I don't know what that's about.

Been on NBA reddit or any equivalent social media space lately? The disproportionate amount of gushing over a literal nothingburger (not a real trophy, nobody's season on the line, winners get some extra strip club money), the most visible posts/people treating it like March Madness, and negative opinions being either being downvoted off the page (reddit) or flooded with L's, clown emojis, and whatever else (everywhere else) makes it pretty obvious.

> maybe people are just having fun and enjoying things

So much fun that they're ready to pounce on any and all dissenters en masse.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 minutes ago, who do you think said:

Been on NBA reddit or any equivalent social media space lately? The disproportionate amount of gushing over a literal nothingburger (not a real trophy, nobody's season on the line, winners get some extra strip club money), the most visible posts/people treating it like March Madness, and negative opinions being either being downvoted off the page (reddit) or flooded with L's, clown emojis, and whatever else (everywhere else) makes it pretty obvious.

A funny thing happened around 2013 where the insular boosterism that long defined NHL fandom and media coverage shifted wholesale to the NBA. Maybe it's astroturfed, maybe it's not, but a lot of people are, as it were, just playing for the love of the game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

8 hours ago, who do you think said:

You're saying that NBA fans are enjoying compelling NBA games at a time of year they normally don't?

"this sucks" is a bad conversation anyway. Where are you expecting that to go? Nbacirclejerk may be more up your alley.

• Like 3

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I'll say this for the In-Season Tournament: seeing how it operates in real time and reading what some of y'all are saying about its intention is helping me understand how stuff like the Champions League, Gold Cup, and other stuff that goes on during the soccer seasons work. So I can appreciate it from that perspective.

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, who do you think said:

51YkPSRd3tL._AC_.jpg

I've been posting about the NBA on this website for the better part of a decade+.

I wish I had been paid all this time. It would have been a better use of my time.

• Like 2

I would argue that there hasn't really been anything extra compelling beyond Tyrese Haliburton having a real emergence/the Pacers becoming a sort-of "Cinderella". Otherwise I think we've had the same mixture of fun games, bad games, boring games. The Pelicans laying a wet fart in a win-or-go-home semifinal doesn't support the idea that this structure has magically elevated the stakes and the entertainment value. It was just a bog-standard disappointing Pelicans game from any year of their existence... just with a distractingly ugly court design and a sleepy crowd that may as well not have been there.

• Like 5

14 hours ago, who do you think said:

Or maybe a lot of people just really think the dissenters are wrong. I'm sure regular, everyday disagreements happen all the time on Reddit. They're not all conspiracies. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

This you?

spacer.png

Yes.

10 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I've been posting about the NBA on this website for the better part of a decade+.

I wish I had been paid all this time. It would have been a better use of my time.

Great job playing dumb.

8 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

Or maybe a lot of people just really think the dissenters are wrong. I'm sure regular, everyday disagreements happen all the time on Reddit. They're not all conspiracies. 

Look up, someone wrote "gullible" on your ceiling.

• Eyeroll 2

Great game tonight! AD showed up big time, and the Lakers were dominant to the first NBA Cup. For people who liked it, it was a lot of fun -- even if the games were visually challenging to watch. The NBA hit on a winning concept.

In other news, Pat Bev is never going on NBA TV ever again: https://streamable.com/f6b22p

Good question though. He should ask Josh himself next time he plays the Thunder.

Looks like the league is pretty much forcing them to do this. Early reports were that the Lakers wouldn't do it if they won, as their policy has always been championship banners only. I understand why Silver would want them to do it from a business sense, as it provides more legitimacy to this tournament, but it's a bit of a joke that a franchise that doesn't consider conference or division titles banner worthy is doing it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1