MLB 2024 Uniform/Logo Changes

TrueYankee26

7 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I'm a bit surprised people don't like the Cardinals CC hat a bit more. Yes, the sleeve patch would have looked great, but the STL that they went with reminds me a lot of the St. Louis Stars Negro League hat. I'm surprised the Cardinals didn't even try to ty that connection into the hat.

Pilots seem to love it at least!

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, adsarebad said:

If humor is artificial for you, you might be the robot.

At least you tried. Now, when you look in the mirror, you can tell yourself, "I'm a failure. But at least I failed trying". And that, my friend, is commendable. Treat yourself to a Nestle Crunch. You've earned it.👍

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

22 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Its on the flag of St. Louis, so its not like they forced something that didn't need to be there. 

1200px-Flag_of_St._Louis,_Missouri.svg.p

As I'm not a vexillologist--or from that area--I only became aware of the St. Louis city flag when it was posted here. Pretty decent flag design, IMO.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

St. Louis definitely has a pretty deep connection with the fleur-de-lis. Much like New Orleans, it was a French territory. The Fleur de lis is all over the place in the city TBH. St. Louis  has one of the best Mardi Gras celebrations outside of New Orleans as well. The French history in the city runs pretty deep. 

Thank you for that info. I was not aware of this.

• Like 2

So... as I mentioned, we've got three uniforms left missing.  I was able to find on Twitter mentions of the St. Louis blues being delayed until June.  I knew I'd read that on here somewhere.  I also found mention by fans that the Brewers are awaiting their City Connects.

Then there's the Cubs.  I've had the Wikipedia page for the City Connect program up because it has the dates and days for each so I don't have to keep reopening other pages.  Looking at it a second ago, I just realized that it says the Cubs wear their City Connects on Friday home games "June-September".  That... seemed... odd.  So I went back through the Getty galleries for their games.  In June 2021, the uniforms were revealed.  Since then, it appears (unless a couple slipped through out of the 486-ish games) that they have every year started wearing them at the start of June and then gone back to home pinstripes the last few Friday home games.  I can see wanting your fans to see the traditional look at Wrigley at the start and end of the season.  It's just odd to see that it seems a concerted effort to hold them off until two months in.  I've never heard this mentioned before.

• Like 1

spacer.png

spacer.png

On 5/20/2024 at 5:07 PM, CardsFan79 said:

I hate the CC program altogether, but if the Cardinals were going to participate, I’d rather these boring ones than some god-awful design that make my eyes want to puke like some of the others.  Again, I don’t love them, but it’s better than I was afraid of.

It feels like this is exactly how their pitch to Nike went.

"Listen, we don't wanna do this, so let's do this as tame as possible."

And it worked.

Though, maybe I'm sick, but a part of me wonders what an over-the-top Cardinals CC would have looked like.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

And it worked.

Though, maybe I'm sick, but a part of me wonders what an over-the-top Cardinals CC would have looked like.

The DeWitt's said they fought to have the birds on the bat stay and I think to keep the rest relatively tame. They also had the option for red pants, but decided against it. Said in the mock ups, they looked like pajamas.

• Like 6

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

And it worked.

I am in agreeance with you two. The Cardinals best options in order of good to bad:

1. Don't do a CC

2. Do a super simple tame CC

3. Go crazy with it

I feel like they went with 2, but "The Lou" is horrendous. They were so close. 

The more I think about it (and maybe its too wordy) but i keep wondering what "Gateway City" would have looked like the the "G" hooked around the bat. 

Side Note: I was in high school her in STL when Nelly was actually an artist people gave a crap about. St Louis loved him. We listened to him everyday. But the fact that The Lou made it on a Cardinals jersey like 25 years later is mind boggling to me. 

Edited by PlayGloria
punctuation
  • LOL 1

41 minutes ago, PlayGloria said:

Side Note: I was in high school her in STL when Nelly was actually an artist people gave a crap about. St Louis loved him. We listened to him everyday. But the fact that The Lou made it on a Cardinals jersey like 25 years later is mind boggling to me. 

Yea I was thinking the same. It's crazy that they went this route in 2024. It's so outdated and it's not like Nelly has become a timeless musician. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Silent Wind of Doom said:

So... as I mentioned, we've got three uniforms left missing.  I was able to find on Twitter mentions of the St. Louis blues being delayed until June.  I knew I'd read that on here somewhere.  I also found mention by fans that the Brewers are awaiting their City Connects.

Then there's the Cubs.  I've had the Wikipedia page for the City Connect program up because it has the dates and days for each so I don't have to keep reopening other pages.  Looking at it a second ago, I just realized that it says the Cubs wear their City Connects on Friday home games "June-September".  That... seemed... odd.  So I went back through the Getty galleries for their games.  In June 2021, the uniforms were revealed.  Since then, it appears (unless a couple slipped through out of the 486-ish games) that they have every year started wearing them at the start of June and then gone back to home pinstripes the last few Friday home games.  I can see wanting your fans to see the traditional look at Wrigley at the start and end of the season.  It's just odd to see that it seems a concerted effort to hold them off until two months in.  I've never heard this mentioned before.

https://uniformlineup.com/Lineups/chc-lineups.html this site confirms their odd wearing schedule.

Does Chicago have a city holiday or celebration that they wait until it happens to wear the CCs?

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

2 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I don't like "The Lou" either, but you hear it referenced here ALL. THE. TIME. I'm not surprised at all that they went with it. It's morphed into a standard colloquialism here, like "The Burgh" in Pittsburgh.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, damnyoutuesday said:

https://uniformlineup.com/Lineups/chc-lineups.html this site confirms their odd wearing schedule.

Does Chicago have a city holiday or celebration that they wait until it happens to wear the CCs?

Could just be an MDW-LDW thing. I think they tie theirs with events in Wrigleyville, so they may wait until school is out to start those. 

Anubis.png

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Yea I was thinking the same. It's crazy that they went this route in 2024. It's so outdated and it's not like Nelly has become a timeless musician. 

You don't think he is?!  I have a friend who breaks into Country Grammar every time his name is mentioned.

48 minutes ago, Anubis2051 said:

Could just be an MDW-LDW thing. I think they tie theirs with events in Wrigleyville, so they may wait until school is out to start those. 

What on earth do those letters mean?

spacer.png

spacer.png

Just now, Silent Wind of Doom said:

You don't think he is?!  I have a friend who breaks into Country Grammar every time his name is mentioned.

What on earth do those letters mean?

memorial day weekend to labor day weekend

• Like 2

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

6 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Not directly in response to the two above posters, but more a general comment. Remember/consider that these CC things are for the most part Nike-led efforts. Of course they're gonna search for whatever real or perceived tangible connections they can find, to varying levels of effectiveness--even if that means they may be, to some, 24 years postdated. Except in this case...

3 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

I don't like "The Lou" either, but you hear it referenced here ALL. THE. TIME. I'm not surprised at all that they went with it. It's morphed into a standard colloquialism here, like "The Burgh" in Pittsburgh.

...Right on point. Shoot, last I checked, STLCITY used to use it quite frequently in their social media correspondence. It ain't going anywhere anytime soon, if ever. And quite frankly, as far as city colloquialisms go, "The Lou" is far less egregious than some others. Now, had the Cardinals trotted out something in French, we may have been onto something. 😃

(Remember--Nike's gotta produce [designs] and sell as many jerseys as possible to justify all those multimillions they invested into the NFL's, NBA's, and MLB's uniform contracts. It's business, homeskillet. And again, I'll point people to this thread here should anyoen wish to understand more about that.)

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||