NH4

13 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

I know that, which goes back to my point about the "OSU" Oregon State jerseys. I said that they should say "OREGON STATE" or "BEAVERS", and not "OSU", since there are two OSU's that have black and orange as their colors.

Oregon State doesn't need to do that because their name is OSU, it doesn't matter at all if there's other OSU's

• Like 1

On 12/6/2023 at 6:34 PM, WestCoastBias said:

Oregon State doesn't need to do that because their name is OSU, it doesn't matter at all if there's other OSU's

Ignorant thinking. Look, let's call a spade a spade, not everyone who watches sports is as deep into it as we are. Having OSU, while simplifying the uniform, is pretty dumb. Those casual fans don't know the difference between Ohio State, Oklahoma State, and Oregon State. They just see OSU and will ask who the opposing team is playing. Be simple and straight forward and put the school name or nickname on the jersey. It's not that hard.

3 hours ago, mjarvie said:

Ignorant thinking. Look, let's call a spade a spade, not everyone who watches sports is as deep into it as we are. Having OSU, while simplifying the uniform, is pretty dumb. Those casual fans don't know the difference between Ohio State, Oklahoma State, and Oregon State. They just see OSU and will ask who the opposing team is playing. Be simple and straight forward and put the school name or nickname on the jersey. It's not that hard.

These were Oregon State's previous jerseys, which they wore all throughout March Madness on their Elite Eight run, with an insanely small Oregon State which in my opinion is worse than a OSU that may or may not confuse casual fans.

BAO2LCLZNRCLZKNDNMQSW7VCLI.jpg

usa_today_19873090.jpg

Above are the womens team's jerseys which is what the mens team should do too. But there is nothing wrong or "ignorant" with the mens team Oregon State using their acronym either, casual fans be damned. I'm sure the baseball team does just fine with casual fans using OSU.

JW7DQPYRWZGSFHAJI3N723FSNM.JPG

• Like 2

6 hours ago, McCall said:

The three OSUs, ranked by popularity/recognizability, IMO:

1. Ohio State

2. Oklahoma State

3. Oregon State

No need to gate keep the use of OSU, they're all in different parts of the country so it doesn't really matter. In the PNW, if you say OSU it's Oregon State not Oklahoma State or Ohio State. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

No need to gate keep the use of OSU, they're all in different parts of the country so it doesn't really matter. In the PNW, if you say OSU it's Oregon State not Oklahoma State or Ohio State. 

Was gonna say this. You ask anyone out west who OSU is and it's Oregon State. It's a regional term like soda/pop/coke

• Like 7

5 hours ago, BigDmo said:

Was gonna say this. You ask anyone out west who OSU is and it's Oregon State. It's a regional term like soda/pop/coke

Exactly. Michigan State uses "State" on their uniforms and that's what people in Michigan call the them, just like in Mississippi "State" is Mississippi State and they use it on their uniforms too. Both MSU's and both use "State" because that's their regional brand.

As much as college athletics want to be national brands they never will be to the extent that an acronym or shortened name is solely associated to one school. 

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 10:11 PM, WestCoastBias said:

As much as college athletics want to be national brands they never will be to the extent that an acronym or shortened name is solely associated to one school. 

LSU

Cal

UK

UNLV

OU, MU, KU

BYU

UCLA

UGA

FSU

Ole Miss

TCU

• Like 2

6 hours ago, McCall said:

LSU

Cal

UK

UNLV

OU, MU, KU

BYU

UCLA

UGA

FSU

Ole Miss

TCU

You think people really know all those? Most people don't even know that Cal is UC Berkeley. MU... Michigan? Missouri? Montana? There's a lot of M states, you think someone out West or in the NE knows MU means Missouri? Where I'm from people think FSU is Fresno State (which also is referred to as State locally), I doubt many know UGA too or what an Ole Miss is. Once again acronyms are regional, we know them because we live in a sports bubble but a lot of regular people don't know college sports off the top of their head like they do the NFL, MLB, or NBA. I'll give you LSU, UCLA, BYU, and maybe TCU and UNLV.

9 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

You think people really know all those? Most people don't even know that Cal is UC Berkeley. MU... Michigan? Missouri? Montana? There's a lot of M states, you think someone out West or in the NE knows MU means Missouri? Where I'm from people think FSU is Fresno State (which also is referred to as State locally), I doubt many know UGA too or what an Ole Miss is. Once again acronyms are regional, we know them because we live in a sports bubble but a lot of regular people don't know college sports off the top of their head like they do the NFL, MLB, or NBA. I'll give you LSU, UCLA, BYU, and maybe TCU and UNLV.

Yes. Because not everyone is a west coast shut-in who ignores the rest of the country. Missouri is the only M state that goes by MU. Since they're all "University of", the others are UM. The Big 8 schools flipped the letters (MU, KU, OU, NU, CU), so yes, it's very distinctive as to who they are. And I guarantee you none of the others are confusing, either. Ole Miss is no school other than Mississippi.

You are purposely applying your own ignorance to the entire country. Anybody who is a casual fan of college sports will get these pretty quickly. You need to look past your own name. My only assumption is that you're either an outlier or an agitator intentionally trying to create a false narrative to justify your unsubstantiated claims. My money's on the latter.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 2

4 hours ago, McCall said:

Yes. Because not everyone is a west coast shut-in who ignores the rest of the country. Missouri is the only M state that goes by MU. Since they're all "University of", the others are UM. The Big 8 schools flipped the letters (MU, KU, OU, NU, CU), so yes, it's very distinctive as to who they are. And I guarantee you none of the others are confusing, either. Ole Miss is no school other than Mississippi.

You are purposely applying your own ignorance to the entire country. Anybody who is a casual fan of college sports will get these pretty quickly. You need to look past your own name. My only assumption is that you're either an outlier or an agitator intentionally trying to create a false narrative to justify your unsubstantiated claims. My money's on the latter.

It's not about being a west coast shut in or ignorant. It's about regionality, the majority of universities serve their regions. That's what started this debate in the first place. I advocated for it being fine for Oregon State to use OSU on their uniforms even though there are other OSU's because that's their regional name. So if Missouri wants to put MU on their uniforms than that's fine but that doesn't mean people outside of that region will necessarily know which M university it is, same as the OSU situation. 

6 minutes ago, WestCoastBias said:

It's not about being a west coast shut in or ignorant. It's about regionality, the majority of universities serve their regions. That's what started this debate in the first place. I advocated for it being fine for Oregon State to use OSU on their uniforms even though there are other OSU's because that's their regional name. So if Missouri wants to put MU on their uniforms than that's fine but that doesn't mean people outside of that region will necessarily know which M university it is, same as the OSU situation. 

And my list was in response to the quoted statement by you. Which is your own personal view. Many view them through a national lense that you may not, yet you still made a blanket statement. For all you know, you may very well be the exception in regards to college fans and their understanding of school acronyms and abbreviations. But you made this statement of absolution anyway.

wcbiasquote.png

Famous Oklahoma State alum, Gary Payton:spacer.png

spacer.png

In all seriousness, this is a dumb discussion. Oregon State has been wearing OSU on their uniforms for a long time. Their greatest, most famous player^ wore OSU on his chest during his time at the school. Before he got there, it was pretty much what all of their uniforms had on them. Nowadays they almost always have at least one uniform with it.

• Like 4

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

15 minutes ago, McCall said:

And my list was in response to the quoted statement by you. Which is your own personal view. Many view them through a national lense that you may not, yet you still made a blanket statement. For all you know, you may very well be the exception in regards to college fans and their understanding of school acronyms and abbreviations. But you made this statement of absolution anyway.

wcbiasquote.png

Yeah and I replied that those on that list may not be as absolute as you think because of the regionality of college athletics and universities themselves. You and I may know them but we spend our time debating on a sports uniforms website. Regular sports fans that only watch the big matchups or March Madness (which is the example used that started this debate on why OSU shouldn't use OSU on their uniforms) most likely do not. You chalked that up to my ignorance and that people on the West Coast are shut ins but the reality is that most people just don't share our niche interest in this sort of thing. 

Sorry if it’s been discussed, not a huge basketball guy, but I saw Miami had some type of throwback/fauxback and fanatics listed it as yellow and I thought it was just bad lighting, but they are wearing them today. They are almost a gold. Even the scorebug for them is gold as well as the player accessories like undershirts. I thought they were aiming for a cream or vintage look, but I’d say these are more khaki/vegas gold. What is the story behind these? 

KISSwall09.jpg