This is the UFL! (XFL/USFL Merger)

Cujo

If I’m in charge of a new league, I can’t afford to stubbornly stick to “tradition” because there isn’t any sort of tradition yet. Tabula rasa and all that. How does a league last long enough to make traditions? By getting the most eyeballs on my product. And how do I get the most eyeballs on my product? By having the best matchups possible. It’s great Arlington won, but, they never should have made it in the first place. 

Edited by Red Comet
  • Like 4
  • Applause 1

On 1/5/2024 at 10:26 AM, GDAWG said:

So how long before they announce league sponsors that are all owned or endorsed by the Rock?

I don’t understand why so many people are hung up on this point. Who cares who owns them or if the Rock endorses them, it’s a fledgling minor league spring football league that has sponsors and that’s the important thing.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Skycast said:

I don’t understand why so many people are hung up on this point. Who cares who owns them or if the Rock endorses them, it’s a fledgling minor league spring football league that has sponsors and that’s the important thing.

For them, it's the Rock showing off his massive ego and that he needs to the front and center of everything.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GDAWG said:

For them, it's the Rock showing off his massive ego and that he needs to the front and center of everything.  

To be fair, other than Moose Johnson I had no idea who were involved with the USFL. At least the Rock and Dany let you know they're involved. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

8 hours ago, Skycast said:

GDAWG has spent a lot of time on the boards hating on the Rock. You get used to it! 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, raz said:

GDAWG has spent a lot of time on the boards hating on the Rock. You get used to it! 

I like him fine as an actor and he's not a creep (that we know of), its just that owning a football league is too much of a vanity project for him.  

• LOL 1
  • Facepalm 1

14 minutes ago, GDAWG said:

Some Dispersal Draft Results (won't be announced officially until Monday)

Who?

Who?

Who?

Who?

• Yawn 2
  • Dislike 1

6uXNWAo.png

18 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I sure don't like that the Renegades picked a quarterback. You don't pick a guy first in order to have him be the backup. 

So the inspirational leader Luis Perez will have a battle on his hands.

The Renegades now have 7 QBs on their roster, so something has to happen there.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cujo said:

Who?

Who?

Who?

Who?

I’m quite sure you’re just being a bit of a smart-ass, but if you don’t know who at least some of these dudes are you haven’t been following spring football the last few years at all and that leaves me wondering why you’re even here commenting.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, GDAWG said:

The Renegades now have 7 QBs on their roster, so something has to happen there.  

I wonder how many end up getting traded out, or decide to take an offer for AFL, CFL, or ELF teams? 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 1/5/2024 at 6:31 PM, Red Comet said:

If I’m in charge of a new league, I can’t afford to stubbornly stick to “tradition” because there isn’t any sort of tradition yet. Tabula rasa and all that. How does a league last long enough to make traditions? By getting the most eyeballs on my product. And how do I get the most eyeballs on my product? By having the best matchups possible. It’s great Arlington won, but, they never should have made it in the first place. 

Week 1 they needed these teams to host:

DC, Michigan, St. Louis and Birmingham. 

DC v. Houston game 1 in prime time. 

Birmingham v. Arlington the next day in the afternoon game 1

Michigan v. San Antonio middle of the day, game 3

St. Louis v. Memphis prime time regional rivalry with huge crowd. 

I get what they're trying to do but the XFL already tried to make Arlington happen in game 1 last time and it was a moderate flop. It's a baseball stadium that struggles to have atmosphere. 

7 minutes ago, Sykotyk said:

I get what they're trying to do but the XFL already tried to make Arlington happen in game 1 last time and it was a moderate flop. It's a baseball stadium that struggles to have atmosphere. 

St. Louis can't host week 1. There's already a motocross event scheduled on March 30th at The Dome. Doubt it'd be ready in time for a game any other day that weekend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sykotyk said:

I think they're counting on Birmingham fans to visit as well since it'll be their first actual away game.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

3 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I wonder how many end up getting traded out, or decide to take an offer for AFL, CFL, or ELF teams? 

FWIW, Calgary Stampeders GM and head coach Dave Dickenson mentioned in an interview a couple days ago that he feels the shrinking of the UFL from 16 down to 8 has already been better for the CFL because the pool of players is bigger (a thought shared by the vast majority of CFL fans online I've seen).

“I already feel like it’s making a difference,” Dickenson said. “I have players getting ahold of me and sending me film, agents calling … there’s definitely a bigger pool of players out there and now it’s our job to find the right ones to fit our system.”

Dickenson also believes that there are a lot of reasons as to why players are choosing to play in the CFL rather than the UFL.

“I think our salaries are better than theirs,” Dickenson said. “Obviously we play more games, we got the history, I believe we got the stability and the fan support.”

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png