CFL uniform news 2024

clonewars2008

Any thoughts on seeing the Riders obsidian jerseys in action last night?

spacer.png

Full disclosure: I'm a Bomber fan so take that for what it's worth. But in some ways I think these are the worst of both worlds... these are uglier and less aesthetically pleasing than the Riders' old BFBS jerseys from the 2000s. They are also not as nice as some of the bright green alts they have worn like the watermelon or even their standard retro third.

I would lump this one in with that historically significant but ridiculous looking red and black throwback the Riders wore some years ago. These obsidians will be coming soon to a clearance rack near you*

* if you live in Saskatchewan or maybe Alberta

On 7/7/2024 at 7:49 PM, Delicate Genius said:

Speculation in town that the Elks have been (or are about to be) bought by a private owner and, further, that the Elks name will eventually be dropped. I was told today about a possible name change by a friend who has been a season ticket holder for over 20 years and knows people within and around the organization, so I don't have a link to back it up.

But it would not surprise me if it does happen given the disconnect between the fans and Elks since the rebrand,  in part due to how awful the team has been run and how poorly the paying customers have been treated. If/when a new owner takes over, I expect there will be a lot of changes to bring the fans back.

An update on this. On local sports radio today, the host (Kevin Karius) said to not be surprised if the new owner changes the name to Esks or Eskies. He said he's not sure if it's a total 180 (as in going all the way back to Eskimos) or if there is a timeline on when it would happen if it does happen. His guest on the show also mentioned that the main people in the city who were pushing the hardest for the name change (i.e. the mayor) are all gone now.

Karius also mentioned that at the 75th gala dinner this year for the franchise, the chairman of the board and someone else high up in the organization did not say the word "Elks" once during their speeches about the history of the team. He thought it stood out that they ignored the current name.

The sale of the team is supposed to be finalized within the next month, so maybe we'll hear something soon.

On 7/20/2024 at 1:21 PM, zubazpirate said:

Any thoughts on seeing the Riders obsidian jerseys in action last night

I don't mind the new S logo but the rest is a mess. The greens are too similar and they just seemed to have thrown random elements on it, like the logo at the knee on the pants.

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 7/22/2024 at 3:36 PM, Delicate Genius said:

An update on this. On local sports radio today, the host (Kevin Karius) said to not be surprised if the new owner changes the name to Esks or Eskies. He said he's not sure if it's a total 180 (as in going all the way back to Eskimos) or if there is a timeline on when it would happen if it does happen. His guest on the show also mentioned that the main people in the city who were pushing the hardest for the name change (i.e. the mayor) are all gone now.

Karius also mentioned that at the 75th gala dinner this year for the franchise, the chairman of the board and someone else high up in the organization did not say the word "Elks" once during their speeches about the history of the team. He thought it stood out that they ignored the current name.

The sale of the team is supposed to be finalized within the next month, so maybe we'll hear something soon.

So I think either of these names are the same as going back to Eskimos. Wasn't the change part of the national reconciliation with native populations? I think we'd probably see this move towards just Edmonton football if they dump Elks.  I see it as revisionist, but I have no skin in it. 

• Like 2

The Elks are kind of in a no-win situation right now. Regardless of what you think of the original name, changing back to it dilutes a shaky brand even more. And it might resurrect the controversy that was there before the name change. There is also no guarantee that it will make the "lost fans" come back in any significant numbers either. 

Keeping the current name forces the team to double down on a fairly tarnished image - in the same way that the Eskimos brand stood for football excellence, the Elks brand stands for ineptitude and irrelevance. And yeah, the funny thing is that the forces pushing for the name change like the former mayor and at least one of the major sponsors (BelairDirect) are no longer in the picture. 

On 7/20/2024 at 12:21 PM, zubazpirate said:

Any thoughts on seeing the Riders obsidian jerseys in action last night?

spacer.png

Full disclosure: I'm a Bomber fan so take that for what it's worth. But in some ways I think these are the worst of both worlds... these are uglier and less aesthetically pleasing than the Riders' old BFBS jerseys from the 2000s. They are also not as nice as some of the bright green alts they have worn like the watermelon or even their standard retro third.

I would lump this one in with that historically significant but ridiculous looking red and black throwback the Riders wore some years ago. These obsidians will be coming soon to a clearance rack near you*

* if you live in Saskatchewan or maybe Alberta

These jerseys fail the across the bar test for me. Thumbs down.

• Like 2

BtdCezY.png

On 7/26/2024 at 6:33 AM, zubazpirate said:

The Elks are kind of in a no-win situation right now. Regardless of what you think of the original name, changing back to it dilutes a shaky brand even more. And it might resurrect the controversy that was there before the name change. There is also no guarantee that it will make the "lost fans" come back in any significant numbers either. 

Keeping the current name forces the team to double down on a fairly tarnished image - in the same way that the Eskimos brand stood for football excellence, the Elks brand stands for ineptitude and irrelevance. And yeah, the funny thing is that the forces pushing for the name change like the former mayor and at least one of the major sponsors (BelairDirect) are no longer in the picture. 

At the very least, they should take their branding back to what it was for the Esks. 

On 7/27/2024 at 5:08 PM, squamfan said:

weren't the lions supposed to get retro jersey?

I kind of think the only additional uniform BC is getting this season is the return of the gun-metal gray third jersey they wore a couple years ago.

• 2 weeks later...

Alouettes are starting to promote the 1974 grey cup anniversary game against Edmonton. The team is supposed to wear a "one night only" special uniform... so maybe we'll be seeing it soon?

Would love if they did the old 1970s uniform but swap the old red and blue for the current shade of red and blue. Would be a cool way to put a modern twist on an old classic.

A "Reverse Retro" for the CFL, if you will...

• Like 1

On 8/13/2024 at 8:34 PM, Delicate Genius said:

Maybe they should just focus on fielding a decent football team instead of trying to placate a bunch of dinosaurs who are upset that they no longer get to root for a slur. If they change the name back and still can't win games is the fanbase going to be happy all of a sudden?

• Like 4
  • Applause 3

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/moddejonge-edmonton-elks-owner-eskimos

I like how this article trying to outline the positives of a return to the old name actually manages to make a strong counterpoint.

There is no denying the term Eskimos was thrust upon members of the Inuit community in the spirit of imperialism, and will always carry a dark history. But the flipside has seen the football team proudly wave the Eskimos banner on the way to historic runs and 14 Grey Cup championships.

The writer is trying to justify the use of a controversial name because it happened to be associated with on-field success. It's almost like people would be more supportive of the Elks name if the team actually won some games.

Baseball fans in Cleveland came around on the Guardians name, and making a run to the ALDS in the first season helped with that a lot.

• Like 6

As someone who is indigenous,  I find it generally odd how inflamed non-indigenous people get on these issues. The only name i've actively spoken out against was (Commanders). I feel like if one notable person from a particular background says something, everyone tends to follow their opinion on the risk of looking out of touch, when in reality, it's almost never really even a talking point in these larger communities

In some instances (Blackhawks), I actually like the name. It really depends on the intention of it. But mostly, I have just never really cared one way or another.

To go back to the subject matter, Elks is fine, but got back to the EE logo. People associate it with losing, but its the CFL, all the team's cycle through successful and bad years (unless you're Saskatchewan, then you just mostly suck)

• Like 7