2024-25 NHL Changes

LMU

28 minutes ago, ruttep said:

Color-wise, sure (I'd like a return to royal blue here as well), but their current design, plain and simple, just does not work in the year 2024. It's holding on for dear life because the Capitals happened to hoist their only Cup in franchise history while wearing it.

That's pretty minor though. The more apt comparison would be fans in Washington demanding a return to the black & copper look, which is also starting to enter the narrative (the Caps bringing back the black reverse retro as an alternate won't help).

In other news, we've gotten our first look at the full UHC uniform on an actual player. They're using the inaugural season patch on both shoulders, which has me bracing for some sort of ad being put on the chest before the season starts.

spacer.png

• Yawn 1

3 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

That's pretty minor though. The more apt comparison would be fans in Washington demanding a return to the black & copper look, which is also starting to enter the narrative (the Caps bringing back the black reverse retro as an alternate won't help).

In other news, we've gotten our first look at the full UHC uniform on an actual player. They're using the inaugural season patch on both shoulders, which has me bracing for some sort of ad being put on the chest before the season starts.

spacer.png

To anyone who knows: what's the reason they left the top blue stripe off the jersey hem??

• Like 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

5 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

To quote the kids these days..this is just so mid. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

It's so... so.... boring.

I'm falling asleep just looking at it.

• Like 1

That's pretty minor though.

?? I'd say the jersey design being stuck in 2008 is pretty major.

spacer.png

If they put an ad on this jersey they'll have to squeeze it in between the "U" and the captain's patches for certain players. Which begs the question, what on earth will happen if there's an ad on a diagonal letter jersey and it makes the finals? How do you fit the diagonal lettering, an ad, a captain's patch, and the Finals patch in that space? Do you swap one of the shoulder patches for a Finals patch?

The Hurricanes are another team that would have this issue

spacer.png

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

They quite literally reintroduced the glaring issue of mismatched hem stripes on their white jersey after the previous set had gotten it right.

That was part of going back to the classic royal blue and yellow look, and one of the quirks that made the set.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

Photoshop I found on reddit of the new Ducks uniform with black pants (I think this looks so much better, all orange is too much)

That is such a monumental improvement.  Now just make the helmet black, remove the white outline from the triangle, fix the collar and it's perfect.

The Ducks and Sharks need colored equipment like we need inflation to rise...  Talk about trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tBBP said:

To anyone who knows: what's the reason they left the top blue stripe off the jersey hem??

I don't know if there's an actual reason that has been stated but if I had to guess, I would guess it was to have a little visual variance in an otherwise basic jersey, ala the Maple Leafs, and to be a bit more separate from the same/similar templated teams (Flames, Bruins, Oilers, etc.).

1 hour ago, ruttep said:

spacer.png

Photoshop I found on reddit of the new Ducks uniform with black pants (I think this looks so much better, all orange is too much)

I do wonder if black pants will come in a couple seasons.

deK8sJk.png

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

It bothered me at first, but it really isn't that unheard of. The Sens, Leafs, Jets, Pens (home), Hawks (home), Kraken, and Knights all have hem stripes that don't match their sleeves.

These uniforms are getting a lot of hate, but I just think about how much worse it could've been. There's no useless piping, no side panels, no goofy custom font or contrasting nameplates. For a placeholder it at least looks like a traditional hockey uniform.

3 hours ago, ruttep said:

?? I'd say the jersey design being stuck in 2008 is pretty major.

Regardless of how dated the design is, the Capitals will always be a red, white, and blue team first. Those are the colours they started with, the colours they won their first Cup in, and the colours associated with the greatest player in franchise history.

The current Caps look is more similar to the Sabres' previous navy set than the black & red set. Close enough to the classic look that people like it, but with a lot of room for improvement.

On 9/3/2024 at 4:31 PM, Sport said:

mens-fanatics-johnny-gaudreau-navy-colum

I was looking to buy a Gaudreau jersey, but the logo is incorrect on NHL Shop and now I'm too gun shy to pull the trigger. I'm worried I'm gonna get Fanaticsed.

What it's supposed to look like for reference. The silver outline of the top of the star overlaps the flag. 

Columbus-Blue-Jackets-Logo.png

Also if your buying a jersey dont waste ur time with that version, get a Adidas jersey

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Yawn 1

43 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

Close enough to the classic look that people like it

I understand the sentiment, but I haven't seen any evidence that people actually like the current Capitals set, only that they begrudgingly tolerate it because it's won a Cup. 

I'd rank it in last place for current NHL uniforms, so I'm biased.

• Like 1

I really wish people would quit with the "BUT DEY WUN A CHAMPEYUNSHIP IN THEM THEY KANT CHANGE DOZE SHOULD BE PERMANINT!!!4321" sentiment...

(I guess having said that, based off earlier commentary in this thread, everyone should be glad the officials/league allowed Brett Hull's toe-goal to stand in those '99 Cup Finals, or else that same sentiment may well be applying to the goatheads as well...)

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1 hour ago, CreamSoda said:

Utah looks like a classic hockey uniform.  Solid.  

all the people claiming it’s boring…. But this is so much better than sublimated mountains and other gaudy design elements.  

Careful, man.  You might've given them ideas.