2024 NFL Changes

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

Nice mockup of possible Black set via Twitter:

GGG8m9nW4AESC_2?format=jpg&name=large

Likely what we get and while I don't think any of us want a Black alt, we're getting one, so if this is close to what it will be, I can accept these terms since the move to the Sack Exchange home & away is a mega-win for the Jets.

Will remind many of the Black 49ers alts of years ago; I was in the minority of people who didn't hate those as a standalone uniform  (they just didn't suit the 49ers).

I'd prefer they do green/white/green striping with white numbers outlined in green. This would be 49ers black alt bad.

I think it's very safe to assume that they'll wear White socks with both the White & Green uniforms at times.  And I'm certain they'll wear Black socks with the Black uniform.  

1 minute ago, WBeltz said:

I'd prefer they do green/white/green striping with white numbers outlined in green. This would be 49ers black alt bad.

That would conflict with the basic 1-color design of the Green & White unis, so don't hold your breath on that.  I also saw a mock-up similar to this, with White outlines on the Green numbers on a Black uniform and it really doesn't look good at all.

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

Nice mockup of possible Black set via Twitter:

GGG8m9nW4AESC_2?format=jpg&name=large

Likely what we get and while I don't think any of us want a Black alt, we're getting one, so if this is close to what it will be, I can accept these terms since the move to the Sack Exchange home & away is a mega-win for the Jets.

Will remind many of the Black 49ers alts of years ago; I was in the minority of people who didn't hate those as a standalone uniform  (they just didn't suit the 49ers).

Strong 2018 Browns vibes

14 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

That would conflict with the basic 1-color design of the Green & White unis, so don't hold your breath on that.  I also saw a mock-up similar to this, with White outlines on the Green numbers on a Black uniform and it really doesn't look good at all.

Green numbers on black don’t look good at all either.

White outlines will make it look like a MACtion jersey but will also help with legibility from more than eight feet away. And Ohio’s black jerseys with green numbers definitely look better with white outlines than without. 

I guarantee a white outline on the helmet like the 2022 alt helmets

• Like 2

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

40 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Doesn't it have to so that it's a team color and they can then make the black alt?

That was my thought as well. I thought that was part of the reason Washington shoe horned black into the away uniforms.

9 minutes ago, Eszcz21 said:

That was my thought as well. I thought that was part of the reason Washington shoe horned black into the away uniforms.

It can be done tastefully though. The Jets’ 2019-23 set shows this - black facemask, black number outline, not overwhelming at all. Since their upcoming set is just a modernization of a classic style, I don’t foresee a ton of black in the regular home and road sets. I’d say 1990-97 amounts, or even less. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Doesn't it have to so that it's a team color and they can then make the black alt?

The Colts created black helmets just from the use of black swooshes on the home/aways. Apparently any black accent can be that minimal. 

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 minute ago, WSU151 said:

The Colts created black helmets just from the use of black swooshes on the home/aways. Apparently any black accent can be that minimal. 

Indiana nights, baby! Perfect for hitting up the local Applebee’s for some mozzarella sticks after the game. 

• Like 4
  • LOL 7

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I think a color rush uniform can use historical colors even if they no longer appear on the primaries.  That’s how the Chargers get away with royal and navy alts.  

• Like 14

A little surprised about the reactions to these Jets unis on the forum. I think this is a great move. The throwbacks looked fantastic last year and moving them to primary is going to look fantastic as well. The black alt is what it is. I don't love it and it's not needed. But for some reason, much like the Mets,  the black alt seems like it is going nowhere. 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Green numbers on black don’t look good at all either.

White outlines will make it look like a MACtion jersey but will also help with legibility from more than eight feet away. And Ohio’s black jerseys with green numbers definitely look better with white outlines than without. 

I guarantee a white outline on the helmet like the 2022 alt helmets

I much prefer it without but the white outline on the black Jets helmet logo does make this more likely.

1 hour ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Apparently not, because the 49ers shoehorned in that awful black Color Rash uniforms a few years back, and no one could argue that black was a real team color. It was only used as an outline to their logo...but if people want to argue that it was a true team color then there's nothing to prevent the Steelers from whipping out red, blue, or silver alts since those colors appear (only) in their logo.

Same thing with the 'Ders...the 'Commanders'. Burgundy and gold are their colors...until the owner's wife was allowed to design the new uniforms and forced a fully black alt into the mix.

I don't mind the Jets' switch, but I do wish they'd add green pants to the 'throwback'.

• LOL 1

If they absolutely cannot resist the temptation of having a black alternate uniform, then okay, whatever, wear it for a couple games. But we all know this is gonna become an excuse to pair the black pants with the white jerseys, which is undeniably hideous. 

We are also probably not gonna see much green again since they'll wear both white and black at home for 2-3 games each.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bushy said:

so basically the Celtics. 

Not a bad brand to be compared to...at all.

As for the Black unis, the White outline does seem more likely, and here's how that essentially looks (along with how white NOB would mesh with it):

1250200836.0.jpg

Personally, I still don't like it.  This probably comes from coaching at a school that had Black/Red/White uniforms; on our Black unis, we had Red numbers with White outlines and it was miserable, even from the sideline, let alone the bleachers or the game film.  We fixed it when we bought new unis by doing a 3-color with Red fill, Black inner outline, White outer outline, but that doesn't gel with the Sack Exchange template, either.

So, they'll either do what you see above, or they'll remove the White outline from the helmet logo on the Black helmet and go Browns/49ers.