2024 NFL Changes

1 hour ago, BadSeed84 said:

The Eagles jersey (Granted the replica) with the updated wordmark, I'll tag @BBTV since he's been anticipating it.

mens-nike-saquon-barkley-midnight-green-

Other than teams changing this season, Eagles are top 3 in desperate need of new uniforms. Every year this look feels more and more outdated, and their kelly green look just looks too nice to keep this drab look around

• Like 13
  • Dislike 1

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

Nice work, @BadSeed84.

I thought I'd like it a lot more.  Neither the new one nor the old one matched the numbers at all, but as others have pointed out, at least the old one had an outline to tie things together.

Now that I think about it, I think when we saw the logo slick, there's not a single version of the wordmark that has an outline.  I think they should make an exception for the jersey.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

27 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Jerry Jeudy wearing 3 in Cleveland 

"#5 doesn't really look like a receiver's number"

*selects #3 over 10-19 or 80-89*  🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

To add, the two starting QBs he had in Denver both wore #3 (Lock and Wilson). Fxxking dumb shlt.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Dislike 4

6uXNWAo.png

9 minutes ago, Cujo said:

"#5 doesn't really look like a receiver's number"

*selects #3 over 10-19 or 80-89*

🥴🥴🥴🥴🥴

Laugh all you want, but there is something about 5 that's just... I don't know how to put it, but "static".

It's not necessarily the players that have worn it, it's just the actual shape of the number is not-dynamic.  Especially in fonts where the left side descends (like the Eagles, Phillies, Packers, etc.)

I know Mahomes wears 15, but when standing still, it doesn't look like it fits his style.  5 is just a slow-looking number.

Same with almost any number that contains it - 15, 35 (doesn't evoke speed), 45 (maybe a good strong safety or LB number these days) 51, 52, 53, 57, all look "slow", 65, 85 (always felt like a blocking TE number rather than a WR number).

Some combos with 5 look more dynamic.  25, 55, 56, and some others.  Again, it's purely the aesthetic of the number, I don't care what great player you post that wore it.

He's right - 5 isn't a receiver number.  (of course, IMO 3 shouldn't be allowed, but since it is, it's better than 5.)

• Like 5
  • Applause 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, BBTV said:

Laugh all you want, but there is something about 5 that's just... I don't know how to put it, but "static".

It's not necessarily the players that have worn it, it's just the actual shape of the number is not-dynamic.  Especially in fonts where the left side descends (like the Eagles, Phillies, Packers, etc.)

I know Mahomes wears 15, but when standing still, it doesn't look like it fits his style.  5 is just a slow-looking number.

Same with almost any number that contains it - 15, 35 (doesn't evoke speed), 45 (maybe a good strong safety or LB number these days) 51, 52, 53, 57, all look "slow", 65, 85 (always felt like a blocking TE number rather than a WR number).

Some combos with 5 look more dynamic.  25, 55, 56, and some others.  Again, it's purely the aesthetic of the number, I don't care what great player you post that wore it.

He's right - 5 isn't a receiver number.  (of course, IMO 3 shouldn't be allowed, but since it is, it's better than 5.)

It's funny you bring this up cause awhile ago I was watching an old Late Show interview of John Madden from the 80's and he was talking about how numbers should correlate to the kind of player someone is visually, not about any technicalities or whatever. Like if someone is a 74 then they gotta be a big dude. Basically saying you gotta look like a 24 or a 56. It's gotta look right.

I really miss receivers wearing numbers in the 80s, it feels like it's becoming less and less of a thing.

• Like 5

bSLCtu2.png

8 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Jerry Jeudy wearing 3 in Cleveland 

Don't see how this is news at this point. The sanctity of position-specific numbers is long dead and buried.

• Like 1

The Eagles have now had three different wordmarks on the same jersey design. This team really needs to move on at this point. The new font does not work with the current setup at all.

1442_philadelphia_eagles-wordmark-1996.p

955.png

philadelphia_eagles_logo_wordmark_2022_s

• Like 20

bSLCtu2.png

15 hours ago, BadSeed84 said:

The Eagles jersey (Granted the replica) with the updated wordmark, I'll tag @BBTV since he's been anticipating it.

mens-nike-saquon-barkley-midnight-green-

Not sure why they didn't just update the number/name font while they were at it. It just doesn't fit with the new wordmark at all. 

• Like 7

31 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

Is updating the small wordmark below the NFL shield on the collar enough of a change that the Eagles are now locked into these uniforms for another 5 years?

The only other example I can think of is the Patriots, and they wore the updated uniforms for 5 years before changing to their current set. Although it's unclear if that was by rule, or by choice.

When the 49ers finally updated their uniforms with the classic wordmark they also went back to 3 stripes. They wore the 2 stripe sleeves for 5 years as well.

• Like 1

spacer.png

46 minutes ago, CitizenTino said:

Is updating the small wordmark below the NFL shield on the collar enough of a change that the Eagles are now locked into these uniforms for another 5 years?

Its very likely.  The Patriots wordmark change from the cursive one to the block one on the jersey in 2015-2019 before the current unis released in 2020.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CitizenTino said:

it was enough to warrant the 2-year lead-time rule, so I’d guess yes. 

Interesting nugget I came across recently.  This is a relatively new style of hat.  Fansedge/Fanatics has every team shows but one, which is Houston.  In a sponsored ad, I happen to come across the Houston version and it's red centric. 

Texans hat

Fansedge Gallery of the hat model

Might be nothing, but could be hinting at that red-forward identity coming soon.  Could also be nothing since the Jets hat uses the assumed old logo.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TBGKon said:

Interesting nugget I came across recently.  This is a relatively new style of hat.  Fansedge/Fanatics has every team shows but one, which is Houston.  In a sponsored ad, I happen to come across the Houston version and it's red centric. 

Texans hat

Fansedge Gallery of the hat model

Might be nothing, but could be hinting at that red-forward identity coming soon.  Could also be nothing since the Jets hat uses the assumed old logo.

Definitely is unrelated to what the new uniform might look like. The Bears one is orange and not navy and several other teams use secondary colors. 

On 3/13/2024 at 12:56 PM, jags1828 said:

Crawling jaguar logo. Not sure which year they would base it off of though. Hopefully the 97-08 font like the font used in the 30th anniversary logos in this thread. The team sent an email awhile back with a poll of which uniforms did fans like the best. The 95-08s won by a lot. I think 13-17 was 2nd, followed by present day, and 09-12 was last. The majority of fans that I interact with want the original uniforms with the crawling jaguar on the sleeve back with the current logo. I personally think they should just use the throwbacks once or twice a year, and tweak their current uniforms to add gold and black to the home and teal and gold to the road/white.

13-17 2nd? Really?

In other speculation. I don't if its the Kroger tags but that's not our usual blue...

sXysJNY.png

• Like 3