2024 NFL Changes

So I just saw speculation that the Broncos might have three helmets.

When I was a kid in the 1980s and 1990s, helmets were kind of a de facto secondary logo (and at times a primary logo for teams beyond Cleveland, like the Rams and Bengals). When college teams started bringing in multiple helmets, it made some sense because the schools are not just football teams and the branding wasn't as helmet-heavy (perhaps with Michigan and a few others as exceptions). I feel like NFL t-shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, and even hats showed football helmets a lot more back then than they do now...but maybe I'm misperceiving? 

But it now seems like the helmet is not as big a part of the NFL branding as it was a generation ago. Paired with the death of the one-helmet rule it seems like a bit of a chicken-and-egg thing. Are alternate helmets shifting branding away from a focus on helmets or does the shift away from helmets in branding enable alternate helmets?

Also, while alternate jerseys make sense in the NFL (along with other sports and alternate MLB caps), are alternate helmets a big money maker? Is anyone going to go buy all three Broncos helmets (even in mini variety)? Or is it more of an indirect "marketing of the sport?" To me it feels a bit like watering down the image that the helmets create (or, at least that would be true of the helmets were stll a big part of marketing).

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

12 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Apparently this graphic was sent out to Broncos season ticket holders this morning 

spacer.png

If that is the updated D horse logo, it’s really well done.

Incredible. Start the countdown to that replacing the robohorse in 5 years

• Applause 2

On the uni-watch article about the 3 helmet rule it states that Denver has hinted at using 3 helmets.  That was a couple pages back here.  At any rate, they also state it's been confirmed Denver's primary will be white.  Did I miss something?  I've only seen the speculation but not a confirmation.

crsig.jpgnsig.jpg

22 minutes ago, Chromatic said:

Apparently this graphic was sent out to Broncos season ticket holders this morning 

spacer.png

If that is the updated D horse logo, it’s really well done.

I did some digging because I wanted to see how different the new logo was from some concepts and I found this by Empery Designs on Behance.

99e80c75270335.5c48058e21543.png

It's identical but it's a great logo so hopefully (if it is real) they paid him great

• Like 11
  • Applause 3

Just now, The Impaler said:

On the uni-watch article about the 3 helmet rule it states that Denver has hinted at using 3 helmets.  That was a couple pages back here.  At any rate, they also state it's been confirmed Denver's primary will be white.  Did I miss something?  I've only seen the speculation but not a confirmation.

It'll be the primary for two years at most. By that time, "icy white" will have fallen out of style and the dark blue shell will become the main look until they opt for the inevitable 80s throwback set 5 years from now.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, The Impaler said:

As a Husker fan, couldn't disagree more.  I love Nebraska's road look.  And I think the Colts looked better above than they do now.   Nothing wrong with that Cards uni combo either.  

So you like these...

1171384248.jpg.jpg

...over this?

GettyImages-1252089410-scaled.jpg

Ok.

• Applause 1
  • Facepalm 1
  • Eyeroll 1

49 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

A guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, says these are the Jets uniforms

Unless the rules have changed, the black alternate wouldn't be allowed. Because black doesn't appear anywhere on the primary home/away options. Also alternate helmets aren't allowed to be paired with the primary jersey options. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, NH4 said:

I did some digging because I wanted to see how different the new logo was from some concepts and I found this by Empery Designs on Behance.

99e80c75270335.5c48058e21543.png

It's identical but it's a great logo so hopefully (if it is real) they paid him great

Yes, I'd hope they paid that man or he'll be making it up via a lawyer.  

It's really the perfect logo for Denver and I hope they use it full-time at some point. 

• Love 3

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

A guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy, says these are the Jets uniforms

"Each alternate helmet color must be tied to a specific optional uniform and cannot be mixed/matched with primary uniforms or mixed/matched with another optional uniform."

This 3rd-helmet rule may actually be a net-positive.

If the Jets can only wear the Black helmet with an Alternate uniform, it'll only be worn with the Black uniform, since the Sack Exchange home & away don't have Black in the uniform design.  

No Black helmet should mean no Black pants are worn with the Sack Exchange home & away jerseys.  

So, we should only ever see:

Green/Green/White

Green/Green/Green

Green/White/White

Green/White/Green
Black/Black/Black

..and their numerous sock color combos.

Assuming they can still wear the Black jersey as an alternate mix & match with the Green helmet, I suppose we could get:

Green/Black/White
Green/Black/Green
Green/Black/Black

...but those combos suck and are not historical, so maybe (hopefully) they'll not wear them.

3 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

"Each alternate helmet color must be tied to a specific optional uniform and cannot be mixed/matched with primary uniforms or mixed/matched with another optional uniform."

This 3rd-helmet rule may actually be a net-positive.

Until it's not tied to a specific optional uniform. 

Yes, it could prevent some crappy looking combinations. Do you know what else does that? Wearing your best look. Always.

ETA - Here come the eyerolls and yawns, but it's the hill I choose to die on 😁

• Like 1
  • Applause 4

It's where I sit.

I like everyone lawyering through the various NFL “rules” about how alternates can or can’t be matched with non alternate pieces.  I guarantee we are giving much MUCH more thought to these “rules” than the teams will be once they start deciding what might look cool, or asking the fans or (even worse) the players what combo they should break out.  They’ll do what they want and the league will, once again, adjust the rules to fit.  

In case you aren’t paying attention the slope is no longer just slippery, its f’n greased and we are officially going for the ride.  

• Like 4
  • Yawn 1