2024 NFL Changes

18 hours ago, BBTV said:

The plan would be to play it on Presidents' day, to capitalize on the 3-day weekend that a lot of people have.

I HATE HATE HATE that idea, because 1) it completely devalues the meaning of the holiday (though it's basically been about applaince and furniture sales anyway), but more importantly, 2) it's a big travel time for many people.  I almost always get a ski house rental for the long weekend, and I'm sure that it's extremely common for people to get out of town for long weekends.

NFL should avoid Labor Day and any other long-weekend holiday.  In theory I get it, and I'd certainly love a free day off after an Eagles SB, but realistically those are so few and far between that I'll deal with using PTO.

The NFL has given Labor Day weekend to college football now. I don't think they'd move back up, but what I can also see the players say is to completely get rid of the Pro Bowl week if they want that 18 game schedule.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

56 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

The NFL has given Labor Day weekend to college football now. I don't think they'd move back up, but what I can also see the players say is to completely get rid of the Pro Bowl week if they want that 18 game schedule.

The week before the SB isn't going anywhere.  Moving the season up is a non-starter.  It'll be tight to add a second bye and an 18th game, but that's what the jerks are going to try and do.  I already think that 17 devalues the games, and the 7th playoff team devalues the playoffs (let alone takes away the bye for the 2 seed, but I get that some people may think it was unfair to begin with.)

But it's happening, and there's nothing any of us can do about it.  We're not going to stop watching and not going to stop paying.  Even a Labor Day weekend game, I'm sure places would still sell out, even if it's mostly resale tix.

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• 18 game schedule

• 2 bye weeks for each team

• Preseason reduced to 2 games

• Playoffs expanded to 16 teams

That what will likely happen.

Also, it wouldn’t surprise me if they started playing the conference championships at neutral sites.

Of course, players would benefit from no Thursday games (outside of Thanksgiving), but that season long premise isn’t going anywhere. Unfortunately, neither are games on Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday. 

• Like 2

Football Fans: I love football.

Goodell: Here have some more games.

Football Fans: Whoa man, that's way too much football.

Goodell: I thought you liked football? How about three helmets?

Football Fans: I don't like football anymore.

• Like 2
  • LOL 11
  • Eyeroll 1

bSLCtu2.png

7 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

• 18 game schedule

Also, it wouldn’t surprise me if they started playing the conference championships at neutral sites.

Of course, players would benefit from no Thursday games (outside of Thanksgiving), but that season long premise isn’t going anywhere. Unfortunately, neither are games on Wednesday, Friday, or Saturday. 

I could live with Saturday games replacing Thursday games, since that would give six days for recovery, but I agree about Wednesday and Friday. If teams could have their bye week before those games, that would be better for the players at least.

But I can only hope we don't have 16 teams for the playoffs or scheduled neutral site playoff games. Money aside, the playoffs being changed to 14 teams was fixing something that wasn't broken, and scheduling neutral site playoff games weakens the purpose of winning in the regular season.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Football Fans: I love football.

Goodell: Here have some more games.

Football Fans: Whoa man, that's way too much football.

Goodell: I thought you liked football? How about three helmets?

Football Fans: I don't like football anymore.

No one said we want more  football. We just want good  football.

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

And even so, Friday and Saturday NFL football is illegal until December, due to the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. So unless the NFL wants to get their anti-trust exemptions stripped away from them (and all the other pro sports leagues,) those two aren't gonna happen.

That's why as soon as CFB ends, the NFL is doing Saturday Night Football.

• Like 5

da0Lbhs.png

27 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

• 18 game schedule

I'd like to see each team play one neutral site game, but only during the regular season. The NFL has been really pushing to expand the league's exposure Internationally. Why not have a game every week? Maybe even move the HOF game to week 1 and make it actually count for something. 

4 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

And even so, Friday and Saturday NFL football is illegal until December, due to the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961. So unless the NFL wants to get their anti-trust exemptions stripped away from them (and all the other pro sports leagues,) those two aren't gonna happen.

True, and I believe some pro teams share their facilities with college teams. Maybe the NFL should look into making multiple MNF games permanent until December. At least teams are somewhat used to six or eight days between games.

Just now, VDizzle12 said:

I'd like to see each team play one neutral site game, but only during the regular season. The NFL has been really pushing to expand the league's exposure Internationally. Why not have a game every week? Maybe even move the HOF game to week 1 and make it actually count for something. 

Staying at 17 games, they can. You can literally have 16 weeks of International games. That's one game for every team.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

You’re talking about the same league that shuns its players, current and former, for betting, yet actively promoting sports betting and  has a sports betting league partner.

If there’s gambling and betting, the NFL will be involved. Don’t put it past them to do sneaky :censored:.

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1
  • Eyeroll 2

20 hours ago, PurpleHayes said:

The original USFL used to play 18 games, although they had shorter playoffs. I'm not even sure they had preseason games...they had one 'postseason exhibition' in London in 1984.

One thing I've wondered about...what if the NFL season is so long that the Super Bowl has to be played on Valentine's Day? How will that go over?? I can imagine a lot of fights that day...

It already is. Under the current schedule format, if the regular season starts on September 10, the Super Bowl will end up on Valentine's Day.

8 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

You’re talking about the same league that shuns its players, current and former, for betting, yet actively promoting sports betting and  has a sports betting league partner.

If there’s gambling and betting, the NFL will be involved. Don’t put it past them to do sneaky :censored:.

And is looking to make ESPN a de facto second NFL Network, or primary replacement. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

2 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

The Pro Bowl isn't even what is used to be. If anything you could smudge it into the draft weekend with the current format that it's in since its flag football and dodgeball among other things. Then make the draft almost a week long thing.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, simtek34 said:

You may ask "well how is the NFL allowing games on opening weekend Friday in Brazil and Black Friday?  The Brazil game is before the 2nd Friday and the Black Friday game was played at 3pm.

The act withdrew antitrust immunity for any pro football telecast if a high school or college football game is being played within 75 miles (120 km) of the broadcasting station on Friday nights (after 6 p.m.) and Saturdays from the 2nd Friday in September until the 2nd Saturday in December. This provision, intended to protect high school and college football attendance, has the effect of barring national broadcasts of NFL games on those days, since virtually all of the country is within 75 miles of at least one high school game on every Friday night in September and October.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

But it's happening, and there's nothing any of us can do about it.  We're not going to stop watching and not going to stop paying.  Even a Labor Day weekend game, I'm sure places would still sell out, even if it's mostly resale tix.

spacer.png

"That's right....MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!"

• Like 1
  • LOL 1