2024 NFL Changes

4 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

For the record.

Washington operated as The Football Team for two whole seasons using the 80's uniforms and nobody had a problem with it. None of the folks, myself included, who wanted the old moniker dropped had beef with the uniforms themselves.

The Commanders got new uniforms because the team, inventing a new nickname, wanted new uniforms to go with the rebrand.

So there's no straw manning the uniforms as potentially offending anyone. 

Personally, I would've loved it for Washington to stay the Washington Football Team and roll with the numbers on the helmets. 

gettyimages-1363677670-594x594-1.jpg

Uniforms, yes. I could even see that helmet working long-term if they plopped a stripe or three down the middle. But “Football Team” is not a proper name for a football team. 

Redhogs and Redtails would both have worked far better than Commanders. I guess I just got the sense that a lot of people wanted to throw the baby out with the bathwater - if nobody would mind that design, then yeah, they should’ve kept it. “Football Team” would’ve been by far the worst name in the league, but at least they wouldn’t have fugly uniforms. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

15 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Uniforms, yes. I could even see that helmet working long-term if they plopped a stripe or three down the middle. But “Football Team” is not a proper name for a football team. 

Redhogs and Redtails would both have worked far better than Commanders. I guess I just got the sense that a lot of people wanted to throw the baby out with the bathwater - if nobody would mind that design, then yeah, they should’ve kept it. “Football Team” would’ve been by far the worst name in the league, but at least they wouldn’t have fugly uniforms. 

In a way, not using any name with "red" in it may have helped Washington. If Washington used a name with "red" in it immediately, there likely would have been several slipups. Look at how long it took for people to stop saying "San Diego" Chargers. Now that a few years have passed, it may be easier to say Red-etc. without slipping up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MCM0313 said:

“Football Team” would’ve been by far the worst name in the league

Only because the NFL has some pretty good names. It would be the best team name in the Big 4 leagues that doesn't end with s IMO.

• Hurl 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, rfraser85 said:

In a way, not using any name with "red" in it may have helped Washington. If Washington used a name with "red" in it immediately, there likely would have been several slipups. Look at how long it took for people to stop saying "San Diego" Chargers. Now that a few years have passed, it may be easier to say Red-etc. without slipping up.

Speak for yourself, I still think “San Diego” when the word “Chargers” comes to mind!

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Ark said:

Only because the NFL has some pretty good names. It would be the best team name in the Big 4 leagues that doesn't end with s IMO.

I disagree. Miami Heat is better to me for a name that doesn't end in S, and using Football Team seems like the team was too lazy to come up with a real name. As a placeholder it's fine, but I wouldn't use that full time.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

7 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

For the record.

Washington operated as The Football Team for two whole seasons using the 80's uniforms and nobody had a problem with it. None of the folks, myself included, who wanted the old moniker dropped had beef with the uniforms themselves.

The Commanders got new uniforms because the team, inventing a new nickname, wanted new uniforms to go with the rebrand.

So there's no straw manning the uniforms as potentially offending anyone. 

Personally, I would've loved it for Washington to stay the Washington Football Team and roll with the numbers on the helmets. 

gettyimages-1363677670-594x594-1.jpg

These, with the current helmet, would’ve sufficed.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

The full Texans number font- 4, 6, & 9 are the only three digits with a separate set depending on if it’s first or second for double digit numbers

GNPqkZtWUAApQqW?format=jpg&name=large

That's stupid.

• Like 15

It's where I sit.

8 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

Conspiracy theory time-

The person who decided on the name “Commanders” was none other than Ron Rivera because of his family’s military background. No one else had input on the name and it wasn’t some bs about honoring the nation’s capital or whatever was said. Hell, he’s definitely the one who designed the all black uniform too.

Ron Rivera absolutely played a big part in picking that dumb name. From what I recall, they pretty much said so when they released it. Allowing a coach to rebrand the franchise is incredibly stupid (especially now that he's been fired), but also incredibly on-brand for Dan Snyder and his ineptitude.

So for now we're stuck with a name that was chosen by an owner and coach that are no longer with the team, only 2 years after being unveiled. Harris can't fix this clown show soon enough.

8 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

I believe the "Commanders" nickname part but as far as the uniform, I'm not unconvinced Snyder himself did it partially out of spite.

"Oh you want me to change the name? Well here's the uniforms that I want."

Snyder had wanted to introduce black to the uniforms since at least the early 2000s, so it's no surprise that when they came out with new uniforms they included black. And it was just as horrible as we all expected it to be.

• Like 2

spacer.png

1 hour ago, DCarp1231 said:

The full Texans number font- 4, 6, & 9 are the only three digits with a separate set depending on if it’s first or second for double digit numbers

The alternate digits aren't too bad.

The 2, on the other hand, looks like it's about to crumble under its own weight.

• Like 2

Those are a trainwreck.  The bottom of the two is ridiculous, as is the top of the 7.  The 9s look like Gs, and the different styles per letter is unnecessary and flat out stupid.  I'm not sure who's idea that was - the team's, or the designer's, or a collab, but it's impossibly dumb.  It's stupid with the Vikings, and it's stupid here (even if not as extreme.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

31 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

I’m fine with the Commanders name, but I think we all know 32s is better

We don’t need multiple teams named after numbers. Besides, the franchise is like 90 years old. There are 32 teams now, but Washington is nowhere near the 32nd. 

• Like 2
  • Yawn 1

38 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

We don’t need multiple teams named after numbers. Besides, the franchise is like 90 years old. There are 32 teams now, but Washington is nowhere near the 32nd. 

"32s" is a reference to 1932, not being the 32nd team.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Eyeroll 1

spacer.png

Legitimate request: Could someone who has worked in sports-related branding and who would potentially have knowledge of this please explain the obsession with making so many custom number sets have mixed/opposite-end round and square corners? I do not understand the infatuation with having some corners be pointy and others be rounded. And then rigidly sticking with that, even where it makes certain numbers look so overwrought (like the 2 in this particular set). And yet! The 6 doesn't have a square bottom left corner? Why.

It's a shame too. If one were to use the 5 or 6 (or both) as a starting point and build out a set of numbers from there, it would look like a logical evolution from the set they had on their original uniforms. Something along these lines:

spacer.png

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

Legitimate request: Could someone who has worked in sports-related branding and who would potentially have knowledge of this please explain the obsession with making so many custom number sets have mixed/opposite-end round and square corners? I do not understand the infatuation with having some corners be pointy and others be rounded. And then rigidly sticking with that, even where it makes certain numbers look so overwrought (like the 2 in this particular set). And yet! The 6 doesn't have a square bottom left corner? Why.

I can answer that for you:

_1512076803_93_Nike-desktop.jpg

That is 100% on them, as they've been doing exactly what you described (the whole opposite rounded/squared-off corner thing) since at least 2012 if not sooner.nSince then, I've seen it pop up in SO many of the number sets belonging to teams they've rebranded it's not even funny.

Let's shine a lil' light on this, shall we??

Minnesota in 2012...

20121107_kkt_ah7_057.0.jpg

(And their updated uniforms as of last season...)

Minnesota-new-football.jpg

usatsi_19509985_168397563_lowres.jpg

Oregon State in 2013...

usa_today_13435344.0.jpg

FuG5M6fakAE0K25?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Wake Forest football in 2015:

New-Wake-Forest-Football-Uniforms.jpg

october-10-2015-chestnut-hill-ma-usa-wak

Oklahoma State in 2016:

USATSI_9545366-3.jpg

usa_today_15138138.5.jpg

Cal basketball from that same time period:

635891909664380599-AP-587002941116-1-.jp

maxresdefault.jpg

These are just the few that stick out off the top of my head. And now, of course, these new Texans' numbers, which...I don't even know if I wanna know the design speak for those. What I do know, however, is that the phrase "creatures of habit" has never been more true than in the characteristic patterns that tend to show up in Nike-led or Nike-designed number sets...

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 minutes ago, tBBP said:

What I do know, however, is that the phrase "creatures of habit" has never been more true than in the characteristic patterns that tend to show up in Nike-led or Nike-designed number sets...

Thank you for the all the examples. I thought of Wake Forest and Minnesota specifically, but as you illustrated, there are so many more. The only explanation I can think of (beyond "It looks cool") is it's an attempt to create sets of numbers that are unique while maintaining a "signature" that identifies a set of numbers as Nike's.

Sure, these numbers may be unique, set to set, while keeping that opposite corners theme. But (rhetorically), did these designers ever ask if including that particular thing was a good design choice. (Or if any of these sets are actually good?)

9 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Yeah, let’s just totally gloss over the 2 horse teams, 2 pirate teams, 4 big cat teams, and 5 bird teams.

• Like 3
  • Yawn 1

Yeah, let’s just totally gloss over the 2 horse teams, 2 pirate teams, 4 big cat teams, and 5 bird teams.

Yes, let's do just that. "32nds" is terrible and an obvious ploy to bite off the 49ers. Its MLS tier.

They should rename them the Americans while changing almost everything back to as it was sans the Native American imagery and replace the logo with just a black man. Easy, but somehow no one bothered to think of the obvious. Heaven forbid a Big 4 team features a man with brown skin. They couldnt wait to scrap the logo they just needed cover from being called racist. Y'all can thumbs down me now. 🤭😌

• LOL 1
  • Huh? 5
  • Yawn 3
  • Facepalm 2