2024 NFL Changes

8 hours ago, bowld said:

Might be a mistake, but my helmet source still shows the following teams as having a  tbd helmet-

* Ravens

* Vikings

* Packers

* Jaguars

* Jets

Jets are the team I am unsure about. Perhaps they have a third helmet coming out that they haven't shown us yet?

They might. As a team changing uniforms this year, the Jets are eligible for a third helmet. But I would think they would have shown a fourth jersey with the others along with an additional helmet based on the Broncos.

12 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

The Boston sports market up through the early '90s, where you had three successful and well-established teams in the other sports and then this weird unpopular screwup halfway to Providence, which was the NFL team, will always be so quaint to me.

They totally whiffed on the opportunity to bring back the Providence Steamrollers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Echo said:

They totally whiffed on the opportunity to bring back the Providence Steamrollers.

Wasn’t the name singular? And two words? Providence Steam Roller. 

Regardless, I like that name, and used it (the way you wrote it) for a team I made in Baseball Mogul. 

• Like 3

It's funny, but the Patriots' reputation was so bad at the point that all those changes came to pass, that I can remember my high school friends (me included), mocking the Flying Elvis logo as being derived from Sentry Hardware logo, so much so that we sometimes called them the Sentry Hardware Patriots. Yeah, we knew it wasn't an exact match, but Elvis looked to us like he could have been descended a few generations from that old store's branding.

49 minutes ago, jws008 said:

It's funny, but the Patriots' reputation was so bad at the point that all those changes came to pass, that I can remember my high school friends (me included), mocking the Flying Elvis logo as being derived from Sentry Hardware logo, so much so that we sometimes called them the Sentry Hardware Patriots. Yeah, we knew it wasn't an exact match, but Elvis looked to us like he could have been descended a few generations from that old store's branding.

Question for New Englanders: was this logo release/burying memory holed?

New England Patriots Logo Unused Logo (1978) - Proposed new Patriots logo, never used SportsLogos.Net

It seems fairly obvious that elvis was a "back to the drawing board" version of this a short 15 years later...

• Like 6

2 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

Wasn’t the name singular? And two words? Providence Steam Roller. 

Regardless, I like that name, and used it (the way you wrote it) for a team I made in Baseball Mogul. 

I've seen it both ways.  Their Wiki page uses a couple different forms (Steam Roller, Steam Rollers, Steamroller, Steamrollers), so I don't know which one would have been the official name for the NFL team.  I do know that there is a minor league basketball team that currently uses Providence Steamrollers as their name, so I guess that's why I went that way with it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, The_Admiral said:

The Boston sports market up through the early '90s, where you had three successful and well-established teams in the other sports and then this weird unpopular screwup halfway to Providence, which was the NFL team, will always be so quaint to me.

"Quaint" is the perfect word to sum up the pre-Patriots Dynasty Boston sports market.  

The Patriots were "50 pounds of stupid in a 5-pound bag" for most of their first 33 seasons of existence. Just six total trips to the playoffs from 1960 through 1992, once in the AFL and five times in the NFL. While they did manage to make it to the 1963 AFL Championship and Super Bowl XX, they received a shellacking in each game: 51-10 at the hands of the Chargers, 46-10 courtesy of the Bears.

Billy Sullivan and his progeny were woefully out of their depth operating a professional sports franchise. Always one step ahead of the bill-collectors, or so it seemed. God bless 'em. In retrospect, it's a testament to their audacious self-confidence that they managed to keep the team afloat as long as they did. Lord knows that Victor Kiam's tenure as owner had most Pats fans pining for the "good ol' days" of Billy's stewardship.

2 hours ago, Echo said:

I've seen it both ways.  Their Wiki page uses a couple different forms (Steam Roller, Steam Rollers, Steamroller, Steamrollers), so I don't know which one would have been the official name for the NFL team.  I do know that there is a minor league basketball team that currently uses Providence Steamrollers as their name, so I guess that's why I went that way with it.

What in the world is this supposed to be?

spacer.png

• Like 1

On 5/16/2024 at 9:30 AM, JQK said:

444153345_1016225379863197_7973429141537

438238851_1016225393196529_3638080448914

440943483_1016225416529860_7580611403902

The New York Football Canadiens, ladies at Habitants.

*Of the swamp.

• Like 1

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

1 hour ago, ltjets21 said:

spacer.png

when you nut but she keep sucking

• Like 2
  • Applause 2
  • LOL 14
  • WOAH 1
  • Sad 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, ltjets21 said:

spacer.png

eagles-underdog-johnson-lanejpg.jpg

• Like 1
  • LOL 9

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, SportsFan12 said:

The other NY team is called Gang Green and has mostly worn white and black the past two years.

That's the point. I didn't like that uniform combo in large part because it had so little green and it felt shoehorned in. I'm sure I'm not alone on that. I hate the "black for black's sake" expression, but that was the best way to describe the Jets the last few years.

• Like 1

I probably missed guardian cap discussion. They seem inevitable and a no-Brainer, pun semi intended.

Interestingly their aesthetic reminds me of leather helmets and will work well with 1930s throwbacks

• Like 2