2024 NFL Changes

52 minutes ago, dont care said:

And that’s done by the teams, even still that isn’t what’s being discussed. It’s the painting of the shells themselves. I’ve provided 2 examples of teams currently either painting the shells themselves or having them done by a third party for custom paint jobs. He’s still using an example from the 80’s

https://www.bengals.com/video/white-bengal-helmet-behind-the-scenes-videos

Look behind the scenes at the final touches of the White Bengal Helmet at Ridell.

Here we see the Bengals' alternate white helmet having the tiger stripe decals applied, according to the team, at Riddell. So not only are the Bengals' helmets no longer painted in-house, they're not painted at all beyond the original base layer. And they can't put on decals without the paint being applied.

Edit: here's a video from the NFL that shows the helmets being painted.

https://youtu.be/6a4XUk_6Vds?si=6jBMFWze58CIDChZ

(not embedded because the NFL copyright-restricts embedded videos)

• Like 1

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

By the late 1980's (1989 to be exact) is where the blue started being robins egg blue because Denver got tired of spending money on another company painting their helmets the royal blue that University of Kansas settled with because it was close to their jersey colors.

What happened was that the Broncos was stuck with the choice (since they did not want to spend money on the other helmet manufacturers doing their helmets) navy blue or azure (the blue that the Lions use since it looks almost close to that blue). So, the Broncos opt for the Detroit Lions looking azure for their helmets and decided to go with that.

By the 2000's, different versions of the paints or new paints because of the expanding painting companies decided to diversify in the idea of shell finishing which is why the Giants jumped on that so fast that in 1998, they gave the NFL a heads up that they were going to change their uniforms and by 2000, their wish happened. 1998 was the year because if you look at how they rid the finish on the Raiders 1998 look, it does not look like silver with a slight cyan finish anymore. It looks more like the regular silver that it is supposed to be.

I’ve seen pictures/videos from pre-1989 where the Broncos appear to have a light blue helmet. Actually, this picture from SB XXI (January 1987) shows it quite nicely - within the same picture, different Broncos appear to have different helmet colors. 

https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=0a1193d3b9a173ba&rlz=1CDGOYI_enUS1004US1004&hl=en-US&sxsrf=ADLYWIJ-mNl4PjTFTWF_dOiWLhoURNslCw:1719183045132&q=super+bowl+xxi&udm=2&fbs=AEQNm0D8w290mrrxEB5tt05ZGXVzALPdzG6aEPQnRK485acX2dpEjN_sfwrTyzRcN6D_X37-PhwA3xalnm8NwO-aHqf9kgepQil2DTSLCkSRDFbWGN7tZltZp-kIYDYMBAXYSahZBGgWvElebT3KwBZc2xn_2rZF8TRzm7pxc3x8r4Ms0BHDeFWOl8RKtLfH4JYuJLYbiGCL0EcYHWHc9lSNLwrFRmQm6Q&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjB4NX15_KGAxVxv4kEHVgxBF4QtKgLegQICRAB&biw=375&bih=553&dpr=2#vhid=mXfYyzV_mDPt8M&vssid=mosaic

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I’ve seen pictures/videos from pre-1989 where the Broncos appear to have a light blue helmet. Actually, this picture from SB XXI (January 1987) shows it quite nicely - within the same picture, different Broncos appear to have different helmet colors. 

Embedding your long URL. 

usa_today_22368103.0.jpg

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

On 6/21/2024 at 7:14 PM, Silver_Star said:

There you go. See, that is why I purely like how the Jaguars and Ravens used the gold color and used the CORRECT SHADE! Unlike the Saints. Tom Benson must hate the vivid gold type colors the Jaguars and Ravens use.

Tom Benson is dead.

• LOL 2

28 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

When he was alive, in 1986, he opted for a more lighter gold that looks beige. So please, do not even comment if you do not have a clue.

Child please.

• LOL 6

It's where I sit.

5 hours ago, dont care said:
5 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Those logos are not painted! They are printed! PRINTED! There are a few that are painted. But most are printed logos. Even if theyt did Michigan., then it is PRINTED in all or 95% of the time they make helmets.

Cincinatti Bengals: the manufacturers started doing that FOR the BENGALS, GENIUS! None of those owners are not going to spend so much money on having their own manufacturing company to have their helmets made. That would cut cost on players salary! Do you not see the business side of it?

Cincinatti has RIDDELL, BIKE, SCHUTT, OR WHOEVER DOES THEIR HELMETS, PAINT THE BLACK HELMETS FOR THEM, THE TEAM DOES NOT DO THAT!

Expand  

Printing is something that’s done on paper. How do you “print” on a helmet? Come on dude. Come back with something better than that.

Jesus, this is like watching two drunks argue in a bar.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 13

BB52Big.jpg

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

When he was alive, in 1986, he opted for a more lighter gold that looks beige. So please, do not even comment if you do not have a clue.

Well we can do some research into this. 

Specifically by comparing the Saints helmets to the Niners.

xjxxmp9crebmfsl5s244.jpg

90495304.jpg.jpg

nabpsvnk8dgaktismdpz.jpg

The teams played each other twice annually (the NFC West was W.E.I.R.D. pre-2002).

Maybe I'm goofy but the Saints lids seem more yellow than the Niners who look very brassy. 

Side Note: When the ownership changed in the mid-80's, that's also when the Saints brought back the gold pants that had been mothballed for years.

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Well we can do some research into this. 

Specifically by comparing the Saints helmets to the Niners.

xjxxmp9crebmfsl5s244.jpg

90495304.jpg.jpg

nabpsvnk8dgaktismdpz.jpg

The teams played each other twice annually (the NFC West was W.E.I.R.D. pre-2002).

Maybe I'm goofy but the Saints lids seem more yellow than the Niners who look very brassy. 

Side Note: When the ownership changed in the mid-80's, that's also when the Saints brought back the gold pants that had been mothballed for years.

Still lighter. Not as pristine as the pre-1986 helmets.

8 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Jesus, this is like watching two drunks argue in a bar.

• LOL 5

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

11 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Your source has the 1975-92 helmets as all the same except for a change in number font, with the logo update being the only noted difference for the 1993-96 helmets. 

Look at the lighting. The helmets gotten slightly lighter by 1993-1996, but like I said, that was the only coat they had to reference a blue.

Look at these two for example,

1990-denver-v5.png?1610597066

and this

1996-denver-v3.png?1610596691

I see the ones that is slightly or somewhat lighter than the other in the sun.

• Meh 1

3 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Look at the lighting. The helmets gotten slightly lighter by 1993-1996, but like I said, that was the only coat they had to reference a blue.

and this

Both those helmets look royal blue in the lighting given, with the second looking slightly lighter. But both could look sky blue in other lighting. 

For what it’s worth, I’ve seen a game-worn helmet that had been used by the late Floyd Little, and it appeared sky blue despite the fact that his career was over by the mid-seventies. 

I think it would be neat if, for their throwback, they used the deep azure shade that Ole Miss uses for its alt helmets (Pantone 307 C). It looks very close to many photos of the Orange Crush uniforms in bright sunlight. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

and this

Or...it could be due to light, angles, exposure, the lens, filters, and a whole bunch of other stuff that can make the color look different in a photograph.

• Like 8
  • Applause 1

BB52Big.jpg

12 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

Or...it could be due to light, angles, exposure, the lens, filters, and a whole bunch of other stuff that can make the color look different in a photograph.

Bingo. I think the helmets were painted the same shade of very light royal blue from whatever year the D-Horse was adopted up through 1996. Lighting could make it appear anywhere from sky blue to dark royal.