2024 NFL Changes

7 hours ago, kestrel79 said:

Do we fully know the reason for the no TV numbers trend? I get it if the design leaves less room, but some of these new designs have the space available, they are just choosing not to put them on there when it is clearly needed.

I hope they aren't freeing up this space for eventual ads or something dumb, right?

I'd assume it's primarily because modern technology makes them less relevant. An argument could be made that TV numbers are more like any other uniform element now, leaving a few teams less inclined to stick with them.

I doubt ads are the reason, though I could see the sleeves being among the first places for them.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DCarp1231 said:

GVIVHluW8AAznIw?format=jpg&name=large

spacer.png

My goodness, those black socks make all the difference. The Bengals’ sartorial choices are definitely a step above those of the rest of the league. I don’t know if that’s a natural byproduct of having team leaders who are into fashion or what (you KNOW Joe Burrow understands the value of contrasting socks), but I’m here for it, and would be even if I weren’t a Bengals fan. 

Now, as for the name: the team is making a new tradition they call “Open in Orange”, but I propose that the orange jersey-orange pants combo be given its own name: the Hobbes. Complete with a Cincy artist’s drawing of a tuna fish sandwich on the inside back collar. 

• Like 4

4 hours ago, HOOVER said:

These silly UA-size jersey numbers are also killing me on this set.  

Also, since the helmets are White, I"m okay with the socks being White.  Red socks would make the look bottom heavy, save for the players wearing Red sleeves and undershirts.

I'm never okay with the sock color matching the pants color, which trumps any other sock argument in my mind.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Also, since the helmets are White, I"m okay with the socks being White.  Red socks would make the look bottom heavy, save for the players wearing Red sleeves and undershirts.

The uniform numbers would balance that out. Picture the Dolphins when they wear white jerseys and pants. The aqua socks don't make the look bottom heavy because of the jersey and TV numbers.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, HOOVER said:

Are these bottom heavy?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9
  • Applause 2

6 hours ago, ruttep said:

Are these bottom heavy?

spacer.png

No, the color socks on the whites are not top heavy, but I like to single this picture out just to add that Grandpa Testaverde is handing little Curtis Martin some bag of oatmeal cookies.

• LOL 2

7 hours ago, ruttep said:

Are these bottom heavy?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

But that's not how socks are worn today.  The entire bottom would be the color, which might make those images look a little different.  Also, the Jets have solid-green sleeves which match the socks, and the Dolphins have striping (and the white bottom) which renders them irrelevant to this discussion.

The Colts socks look bad there.

White socks with a full-white uniform is fine, so long as there's stripes or something that ties it in to the trim or the numbers.  Unfortunately, the days of Merton Hanks making sure the players wear the uniform properly are long gone, and ain't nobody telling a guy how to wear his socks or undershirt without ending up in a problematic situation, so solid-color socks shouldn't be part of an otherwise all-white uniform.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

18 minutes ago, BBTV said:

White socks with a full-white uniform is fine, so long as there's stripes or something that ties it in to the trim or the numbers.

18 minutes ago, BBTV said:

But that's not how socks are worn today.

You kinda just disproved your own point right there. Unless you're the Bears, Chiefs, or Browns, nobody wears striped socks outside of throwback uniforms anymore.

If you want an example with full-length contrasting socks, here you go

spacer.png

(the Bills pic I previously posted is also full-length blue socks, that game was last season as well)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

25 minutes ago, ruttep said:

You kinda just disproved your own point right there.

I'm not sure that I did...

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

29 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I'm not sure that I did...

Socks almost never come with stripes anymore. There won't be any design element that ties the solid color socks into the trim or numbers. That leaves us with either white socks, or colored socks. 

I will take the colored socks every single day of the week.

Also:

11 hours ago, ruttep said:

I'm never okay with the sock color matching the pants color, which trumps any other sock argument in my mind.

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

I like these Texans uniforms. Sharp. 

usa_today_24018497.jpg

These are definitely an upgrade to the prior set. 

Did the helmet color change? Looks like metallic midnight navy whereas I thought they had a flat navy helmet previously. Matches better with the jersey color. 

NYCdog.png

1 minute ago, NYCdog said:

These are definitely an upgrade to the prior set. 

Did the helmet color change? Looks like metallic midnight navy whereas I thought they had a flat navy helmet previously. Matches better with the jersey color. 

The shade may or may not have shifted, but the old helmet was metallic too

Houston Texans kick off 2023 football season this weekend - Axios Houston

• Like 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

4 hours ago, ruttep said:

You kinda just disproved your own point right there. Unless you're the Bears, Chiefs, or Browns, nobody wears striped socks outside of throwback uniforms anymore.

If you want an example with full-length contrasting socks, here you go

spacer.png

(the Bills pic I previously posted is also full-length blue socks, that game was last season as well)

If I may add another Dolphins example to the mix, the look above would not be very bottom heavy, but I will make the argument that this other combo is:

12 Facts About Miami Dolphins - Facts.net

Long story short, as long as the helmet/jersey color is also present in either the pants or socks, you can avoid the "bottom-heavy" look IMO.

• Like 4

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

8 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

If I may add another Dolphins example to the mix, the look above would not be very bottom heavy, but I will make the argument that this other combo is:

12 Facts About Miami Dolphins - Facts.net

Long story short, as long as the helmet/jersey color is also present in either the pants or socks, you can avoid the "bottom-heavy" look IMO.

Even if the helmet isn't white, any white jersey/colored leggings combo is bottom heavy. Like the above example is too much aqua on the bottom, while the Ravens' black leggings is too much black and the Vikings' purple leggings is too much purple.