12 hours ago, ruttep said:

Are these bottom heavy?

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yes.  Miami is the only one who can get away with it because their Aqua is light enough and the socks aren’t solid.

• Huh? 4
  • Dislike 3
  • Facepalm 2
  • Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

No, the color socks on the whites are not top heavy, but I like to single this picture out just to add that Grandpa Testaverde is handing little Curtis Martin some bag of oatmeal cookies.

Actually, the Jets can get away with this because of the color-blocked sleeves, which provide balance to the top & bottom of the uniform.  Same principal would apply to the old Tennessee uniforms…if the socks were Light Blue instead of Navy.

It’s simply a matter of balance, guys.

• Like 1
  • Meh 1
  • Dislike 2

24 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

Actually, the Jets can get away with this because of the color-blocked sleeves, which provide balance to the top & bottom of the uniform.  Same principal would apply to the old Tennessee uniforms…if the socks were Light Blue instead of Navy.

It’s simply a matter of balance, guys.

"aT lEaSt iT's bAlAnCeD1!1!1!1!1!!1!1!!1!1!"

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • LOL 4
  • Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 2

9 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

Chiefs vs Lions in the KC sun is absolutely beautiful to watch. The Lions need pant stripes, yes, but the bright colors play together very well here between the two teams.

Also, kudos to Detroit for going with white socks instead of blue.

I really hope we get to see white over silver with blue socks at some point. They didn't include the combo in the initial release but one can hopeq

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

1 hour ago, HOOVER said:

Yes.  Miami is the only one who can get away with it because their Aqua is light enough and the socks aren’t solid.

St Louis Cardinals Football Roster | semashow.com

It's pretty easy to imagine cardinal socks here and a) it's not bottom heavy and b) looks far better than all white. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

3 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

If I may add another Dolphins example to the mix, the look above would not be very bottom heavy, but I will make the argument that this other combo is:

12 Facts About Miami Dolphins - Facts.net

Long story short, as long as the helmet/jersey color is also present in either the pants or socks, you can avoid the "bottom-heavy" look IMO.

Orange socks would be perfect in this situation.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 4

15 minutes ago, DCarp1231 said:

Orange socks would be perfect in this situation.

If there was more orange in the uniform, maybe, but there's only small hints of it. I think they would look out of place. Better than aqua on aqua? Potentially, but I still wouldn't think it would be a good look with these particular uniforms.

• Like 4

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

1 hour ago, SSmith48 said:

The Lions need pant stripes, yes, but the bright colors play together very well here between the two teams.

I'm watching this game right now. They don't need stripes to improve upon the look IMO. Honestly feel adding stripes would be a lateral move for their blue pants.

Striped pants are not always needed for a uniform to look good. 

2004-st-louis-rams-.jpg

• Like 7
  • Huh? 1
  • Dislike 3

Hotter Than July > Thriller

2 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Chiefs vs Lions in the KC sun is absolutely beautiful to watch. The Lions need pant stripes, yes, but the bright colors play together very well here between the two teams.

Also, kudos to Detroit for going with white socks instead of blue.

That new blue really pops in the sun.

54 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

I'm watching this game right now. They don't need stripes to improve upon the look IMO. Honestly feel adding stripes would be a lateral move for their blue pants.

Striped pants are not always needed for a uniform to look good. 

2004-st-louis-rams-.jpg

IMO, 99.99999% of the time,  stripeless pants only work if they're silver or gold.  Those were a great uniform.

• Like 12
  • Dislike 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

19 hours ago, ruttep said:

I'm never okay with the sock color matching the pants color, which trumps any other sock argument in my mind.

I’m okay with the sock color matching the pant color if the socks are striped. Just not solid-color. 

I will also begrudgingly accept the socks and pants being the same color if it keeps the socks from being solid white. 

Ideally, though, there should be substantial contrast between pants and socks. 

5 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I will also begrudgingly accept the socks and pants being the same color if it keeps the socks from being solid white. 

I'm the exact opposite. I'll accept solid white socks if it prevents the socks from matching the pants color.

• Like 5

I will pretty much always take a plain white sock over the yoga pants look. The socks and pants being the same color isn't always bad, but it could usually be better.

For example, the Falcons look better with white socks here than black.

usa_today_23960123.0.jpgusa_today_22200964.0.jpg

They could look even better with stripes on the socks, but the plain white sock is clearly better there in my opinion.

Now, a team like New England is interesting. Putting aside that silver pants would look better, I think navy socks are ideal with the monochrome look.

usa_today_24007978.jpg

Plain silver socks would just look like dirty white ones. White socks would look awkward since the uniform mostly only has white in the numbers. And there isn't enough red for red socks, either, in my opinion. Navy socks match with the jersey and are the best option here. Having big stripes to help break it up helps as well.

The Browns all-white uniforms are a great example of monochrome done well. The socks match the jersey in both color and striping, and the pants stripes make the look cohesive. 

Cleveland Browns | National Football League, News, Scores, Highlights,  Injuries, Stats, Standings, and Rumors | Bleacher Report

Generally speaking, I think you want socks to 1) match a big color block above the waist (jersey, helmet, sometimes numbers), 2) feature a striping pattern that matches or complements the jersey, and 3) be distinct from the pants, in that priority order. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, fouhy12 said:

I will pretty much always take a plain white sock over the yoga pants look. The socks and pants being the same color isn't always bad, but it could usually be better.

For example, the Falcons look better with white socks here than black.

usa_today_23960123.0.jpgusa_today_22200964.0.jpg

They could look even better with stripes on the socks, but the plain white sock is clearly better there in my opinion.

Even better still... (crude Illustrator edit ahead)

falcons-red-socks.png

• Like 9
  • Love 1
  • Applause 1
  • Dislike 2