2024 NFL Changes

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

Harrowing reality, ain't it? 🙃 (I ain't that far behind you, while I'm over here talking.)

Anyway, kindly taking this time to post up those 1966 roadies while wondering if Big Blue would ever consider switching to something based on these:

bbu9yzbtbuh23uzeeazn.jpg

(Minus the gigantor-sized helmet numbers, of course...unless they really wanted to lean into the GIANTS thing by having GIANT front helmet numbers...just' sayin'...)

This is really the only way I would want NY to go blue centric on the road.

While I personally prefer the early 60's red roads with grey pants at home (like in the Eli era), this would be a nice medium. I don't go for the 80's look. It's not appealing to me.

• Like 5

18 hours ago, MJD7 said:

I’m liking the Texans’ new uniforms, besides the all-white combo.

The new number font looks nice, a solid modernization of their old font. The new shade of red noticeably pops more than the previous shade, to where I honestly don’t mind that they stuck to being navy-heavy (although a primarily red set still would’ve been cool). The horn motif on the sleeves looks really cool & is befitting of the brand.

Overall, instead of having disparate designs for each jersey, I think the home navy should have followed this general template, like the alternate red does. 

I agree. I like the darker shade of navy they are using now. It's different from the Patriots, Broncos, Cowboys, and Chargers style of navy blue.

34 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

This is really the only way I would want NY to go blue centric on the road.

While I personally prefer the early 60's red roads with grey pants at home (like in the Eli era), this would be a nice medium. I don't go for the 80's look. It's not appealing to me.

Personally, I love the Giants’ current road look (although a pinch of blue would be nice), and was a big fan of the Eli-era road look also. 

For home uniforms, their Big Blue Wrecking Crew look is my favorite by a country mile. 

Washington should wear Gold pants every game. 

It's a shame there's so little Gold in their White Away jerseys that it might actually not look great.

Has anyone got a mock-up where the White Away jersey is fixed, replacing the White fill in the number and sleeve gradient with Gold and/or replacing the Black details with Gold?

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

Panthers need to rebrand. Everything is toast. You gotta get outta there.

Everything has been toast for them before. This franchise has typically alternated between contention and futility - at times quite quickly.

1996 Panthers made NFC title game; 2001 Panthers went 1-15; 2002-09 they made a Super Bowl and two NFC championship game appearances while never winning fewer than 7 games in a season; 2010 they went 2-14 and got #1 overall pick (Newton); Panthers made the Super Bowl; 2005 Panthers made NFC title game; 2011-18 they made four playoff appearances and a Super Bowl while never winning fewer than 6 games in a season. 

They’re currently in a prolonged period of futility, sure, but they’ll be back within two or three years, and still wearing the same color scheme. 

• Like 3
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, HOOVER said:

I'm all for the Giants returning to these...after they fire Joe Schoen, Brian Daboll, and release Daniel Jones:

new-york-giants-1980-99-throwback-unifor

lmlvx4akheeswaxa6zoy

Of the two helmets shown, I actually really dig the more historically accurate Dark Blue.

The dark blue helmet with royal blue jersey evoked images of a "black and blue" bruise, and looked tough.  The current helmets are nice.  The finish is beautiful.  But they don't convey the same hard-nosed feeling that the bruise-era set did.

Maybe they don't want for their brand to be that, and that's fine.  Maybe they want to evoke images of beauty and finesse (though that's a hell of a stretch on my part).  But give me the navy GIANTS helmet but with a new royal jersey.  Nothing wild, just not a straight-up throwback.

• Like 1
  • Applause 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

Everything has been toast for them before. This franchise has typically alternated between contention and futility - at times quite quickly.

1996 Panthers made NFC title game; 2001 Panthers went 1-15; 2002-09 they made a Super Bowl and two NFC championship game appearances while never winning fewer than 7 games in a season; 2010 they went 2-14 and got #1 overall pick (Newton); Panthers made the Super Bowl; 2005 Panthers made NFC title game; 2011-18 they made four playoff appearances and a Super Bowl while never winning fewer than 6 games in a season. 

They’re currently in a prolonged period of futility, sure, but they’ll be back within two or three years, and still wearing the same color scheme. 

It's a shame that even when they're good, they're essentially an irrelevant franchise, because they are kind of a model of consistency in terms of their branding.  The only thing I'd do is drop the white pants and use silver/gray exclusively (I don't mind black on black either.)

They've had essentially the same uniform (with minor but IMO trivial tweaks to the logo / stripes) for 30 years.  That's not nothing.

• Like 3

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

Panthers need to rebrand. Everything is toast. You gotta get outta there.

They've had the same basic uniform since their inception ~30 years ago, and it's a solid look. I'd much rather see an expansion franchise establish a permanent identity than have another jumbled trend-chasing mess like Jacksonville and Houston.

• Like 7

The Panthers look like they're trying to be traditional and modern at the same time and I don't think it works very well. Their logo is modernized and the helmet stripes were modern but are now an outdated product of the 90's. Then, the number font and shoulder striping are conservative and then you also got that pants stripe that weirdly gets narrower as it goes down the leg. It's a Frankenstein kind of a set.

I can have respect for teams trying to stick to their roots, but when flaws are present, you really need to make the fixes (and they seem to be slow in doing that).

The Panthers have a modern classic.  They can welcome in a new era by keeping most of it but making the following small changes:

- Updating helmet, jersey, and pants stripes

- Dropping the Black alternate helmet and replacing it with a Process blue one.  Silver helmet remains the primary.

- Dropping the Black pants and the Process Blue pants and retaining only Gray and White

For the striping, @aawagner011's 2020 Falcons concept actually nails what the Panthers should do:  a thin stripe (Process Blue) inside of a standard Black stripe that terminates into a point.  So, like this Renegades helmet below, but in the back, the Process Blue inner stripe would end in a point within the straight Black Stripe:

dallas-renegades-xfl-betting-odds-picks-

Which is also like @aawagner011's Falcons helmet below, minus the additional White outline.

Repeat it on the pants, but wide part starting at the top, ending in a point near the knee, the reverse of what @aawagner011 did here to still be somewhat similar to the orientation of the Panthers' current pant stripe:

2ZGJN4X.jpg

The Panthers could fix their problematic jersey striping by converting to something like that same concept above, which would perfectly sync with the helmet & pant stripe, whether it was horizontal or vertical.

Primary helmet & pants should always be Silver; White pants should be the standard Away but Silver should be worked in, especially since the Lions don't do it by default anymore and the Patriots should but don't wear White over Silver.  For Carolina, it could really work:

FF75oVvXMAMgTlo.jpg:large

That beautiful number font should NEVER change, but maybe you consider doing a 1-color Process Blue (home) and Black (away) player name on back instead of the current 2-color.

• Like 3

Fun fact on that last note...the Panthers apparently have only ever wore Silver/White/Silver once, in 1998 vs Peyton Manning in the Colts (his rookie year).

If you want to feel old yet get all the nostalgia feels, I present you with this (click the  link to watch it on YouTube):

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BBTV said:

It's a shame that even when they're good, they're essentially an irrelevant franchise, because they are kind of a model of consistency in terms of their branding.  The only thing I'd do is drop the white pants and use silver/gray exclusively (I don't mind black on black either.)

They've had essentially the same uniform (with minor but IMO trivial tweaks to the logo / stripes) for 30 years.  That's not nothing.

I agree - they should dump the white pants. A team with a metallic helmet base color should not wear white pants. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Anecdotally - lately I've been thinking about differences in eras in sports.  Like, growing up as a kid in the 80s and 90s, a card or a pennant from the 50s and 60s just felt ancient. 20-30 years seemed to make a huge difference. And now as a middle-aged guy, I think back to sporting events in the 90s and it feels like they happened 10-15 years ago, if that lol. "No way Dan Marino retired nearly 25 years ago" haha

I'm only hitting thirty but I thought about the Cards-Steelers SB the other day and I was like, oh that was like 5-6 years ago, no it was  15 years ago 🙃

• Love 2

13 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’d just go for this road uniform again:

spacer.png

Or that ‘60s one from earlier. Any design that uses a GIANTS helmet is a hideous non-starter for me.

The NY is just too perfect a design. It's concise, bold, compact, and fits a modern helmet much better.

I prefer outline free numbers for the Giants. I think it works better with aesthetic. I could maybe see a home uniform that uses plain red stripes. Just take the same stripes as the 80's and late 60's road uniform and let the blue blend in with the jersey. It would match the helmet stripes and you'd have nice stripe continuity (blue/red/blue) across every medium.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

I agree - they should dump the white pants. A team with a metallic helmet base color should not wear white pants. 

Just as an anecdote to all this, Cam Newton actually spoke on this on his podcast. Gives some interesting perspective both about why the Panthers tend to wear their road uniforms so often and also from a former player's perspective on all this—along with some of the head games teams sometimes play with others. (Warning: NSFW language involved.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||