College Football - 2024

Rixaroo

1 hour ago, upperV03 said:

The Ducks will be releasing their second new uniform this Thursday and it’ll be highlighted by the return of the O helmets. Towards the end of this clip they show off the new helmet and, although it’s not the original mallard finish, it is a shiny apple green with metallic flakes instead of the anodized satin that they’ve been wearing since 2015:

The rest of the uniform won’t resemble the Harrington uniforms, but it will draw on what came before him…

Kinda sad that we aren't getting the mallard paint back, but the metallic apple green is very good. I like.

1 hour ago, djam2410 said:

Cal joins the ranks of teams going with a simplified look. 

Joe Roth throwback set is noticeably missing but they have adapted that helmet to use a Navy block C vs the throwback royal that is used with that as they did for some games last year. may see it later this year but that was usually saved for UCLA/USC. may not see that jersey again until the UCLA 4 game series in a couple years

You know, I can't help but think that while I generally like the more classic aesthetic teams are going back to, including Cal, all of the originality is being drained from college football uniforms. That's always been an issue at the smaller schools, but all the bigger schools are starting to fall into a samey look too (almost every new uniform has included a NW stripe or something similar). Cal looked really good in the Sather stripe.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Eyeroll 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

1 hour ago, djam2410 said:

Joe Roth throwback set is noticeably missing but they have adapted that helmet to use a Navy block C vs the throwback royal that is used with that as they did for some games last year. may see it later this year but that was usually saved for UCLA/USC. may not see that jersey again until the UCLA 4 game series in a couple years

This is a serious downgrade. Cal Twitter-verse seemed to hate the Sather Stripe for whatever reason, but there is no way a catalog Northwestern stripe is an improvement.

I especially loathe the giant white center stripe on the sleeves and pants. Cal should be a blue and gold team with minimal white, IMO.

• Like 4
  • Applause 1

Looks like Virginia is making slight changes. Stripes are no longer split on the sleeves and pants. A video showed the Hoos are switching to matte navy helmets instead of glossy metallic. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eyeroll 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

7 hours ago, djam2410 said:

So I guess it's navy blue and athletic golden yellow! Oh well. But at least they simplified that mess they had.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WSU151 said:

Looks like Virginia is making slight changes. Stripes are no longer split on the sleeves and pants. A video showed the Hoos are switching to matte navy helmets instead of glossy metallic. 

Let the golden age of EA CFB uniform leaks begin!

• Like 6
  • LOL 1

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

Really disappointed in how little care Nike seems to be giving this year's unis. Teams seem to be able to pick from a handful of stripe designs, just like a pee-wee team.

Each team seems like they're designing in a vacuum with limited options. Most of the simplified designs look good in that vacuum, but now that we're seeing so many teams looking the same, it makes them all look bland and generic. 

Unfortunate /:

• Like 5

Call a spade a spade. All these more traditional looks are nice. The unique looks always sucked. Very few if any did them well. Maybe only UNC with their argyle pattern good, the rest absolutely sucked and were like PJ Fleck, trying way too hard to be cool.

• Like 7
  • Applause 1

9 hours ago, Rygi13 said:

Really disappointed in how little care Nike seems to be giving this year's unis. Teams seem to be able to pick from a handful of stripe designs, just like a pee-wee team.

Each team seems like they're designing in a vacuum with limited options. Most of the simplified designs look good in that vacuum, but now that we're seeing so many teams looking the same, it makes them all look bland and generic. 

Unfortunate /:

I keep saying it every year, but there needs to be actual competition again besides Adidas. Nike has gotten complacent since they know they don't have to try anymore.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

7 hours ago, mjarvie said:

Call a spade a spade. All these more traditional looks are nice. The unique looks always sucked. Very few if any did them well. Maybe only UNC with their argyle pattern good, the rest absolutely sucked and were like PJ Fleck, trying way too hard to be cool.

I think teams can still have unique traditional looks. Nike is giving every team 1 of like 3 stripe patterns. I wish they at least had more variety and creativity in their striping, while keeping a traditional vibe. 

• Like 6
  • Applause 1

21 hours ago, djam2410 said:

Uniforms aren't bad but I'm bummed they aren't sticking with the recent uniforms. Cal really nailed having  a traditional but unique look, and going to the generic template is a downgrade for me. 

• Like 5

KtHjnlJ.png

Here's what I think Cal should wear..

Basically the uniforms from the 90's but maybe remove the white outline on the numbers on the blue jersey. Then add the Block C with the bear in the middle logo on the shoulders, like how Clemson has the paw logo on their shoulders. Then add a yellow jersey alternate and also a pair of white pants. That's a modern classic right there. 

Gallery_Football_RussellWhite_HOF.jpg?fo

FgvU4RWVQAIUMoq.jpg:large

337788.jpg

Screen_Shot_2017_06_02_at_3.04.05_AM.0.p

• Like 2
  • Love 1

On 7/15/2024 at 2:15 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Interesting that Cal went with the LSU stripe on the gold pants even though the gold helmet has the plain Brasier stripes.

Especially since recent throwbacks had the pants stripe match the helmet.

4771-77769-original.jpeg

I think the reason behind it is the different pants. Like the navy blue, white, and athletic golden pants had to match the jerseys. Like the Lions new uniforms where the blue and white (God forbid) have no stripes, but never saved time to do two different types of the blue and the white pants. Would that confuse them or something?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rygi13 said:

Unfortunate /:

That's the very definition of catalog order...which many of these new uniforms are. That's on the schools themselves, not necessarily Nike.

That said, the pendulum has fully swung back in the direction of traditional (as several of us predicted would happen). Such are design trends: they're cyclical. After a decade and a half of innovation culture beating us all over the head with all kinds of anthracite, highlighter, chrome and bronze accoutremente, reptile-skin patterns and all-black [and all-white] everything, traditional refreshes are cool again. (Not that they ever weren't, but still...)

• Like 3

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

7 hours ago, WestCoastBias said:

Here's what I think Cal should wear..

Basically the uniforms from the 90's but maybe remove the white outline on the numbers on the blue jersey. Then add the Block C with the bear in the middle logo on the shoulders, like how Clemson has the paw logo on their shoulders. Then add a yellow jersey alternate and also a pair of white pants. That's a modern classic right there. 

Gallery_Football_RussellWhite_HOF.jpg?fo

FgvU4RWVQAIUMoq.jpg:large

337788.jpg

Screen_Shot_2017_06_02_at_3.04.05_AM.0.p

Ah yes, the Cal Mountaineers. The WVU Golden Bears, if you will.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

5 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

I think the reason behind it is the different pants. Like the navy blue, white, and athletic golden pants had to match the jerseys. Like the Lions new uniforms where the blue and white (God forbid) have no stripes, but never saved time to do two different types of the blue and the white pants. Would that confuse them or something?

But keeping the Brasier stripes on the pants would match the blue jerseys and the yellow helmet.

GSjHLoAaoAAv7w4?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

But keeping the Brasier stripes on the pants would match the blue jerseys and the yellow helmet.

GSjHLoAaoAAv7w4?format=jpg&name=large

Yes, but they are not only wearing the navy blue jerseys with athletic golden pants. They are probably swapping around. Same with the navy blue helmets. They probably are going to utilize the several pants. So basically, it seems like trying out different combos, so that is why I figured their classic throwbacks are not used (sadly 😠) but they want to have as many combos they can use.

On 7/15/2024 at 2:15 PM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Interesting that Cal went with the LSU stripe on the gold pants even though the gold helmet has the plain Brasier stripes.

Especially since recent throwbacks had the pants stripe match the helmet.

4771-77769-original.jpeg

Sad thing about the picture there is since they are in the Atlantic Coastal Conference now, Pittsburgh has embraced the royal blue and athletic golden, so I can see why they went with plan old bold navy blue which has become a "manly color" to the lame duck people who realize they are not very smart with colors. I liked those uniforms, but now since they are in the ACC and Pittsburgh is in the same conference, they probably did not want to copy the same palette as the University of Pittsburgh Panthers. This sucks in many ways.

• Huh? 1

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

Sad thing about the picture there is since they are in the Atlantic Coastal Conference now, Pittsburgh has embraced the royal blue and athletic golden, so I can see why they went with plan old bold navy blue which has become a "manly color" to the lame duck people who realize they are not very smart with colors. I liked those uniforms, but now since they are in the ACC and Pittsburgh is in the same conference, they probably did not want to copy the same palette as the University of Pittsburgh Panthers. This sucks in many ways.

I mean, Cal has worn navy blue for the last 40+ years. 

• Like 8

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.