24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

18 hours ago, Gary said:

I knew there was a buzz for this game

Apparently, the beekeeper who took care of the problem got a standing ovation from the crowd, even "MVP" chants. I can't find a video of it that can be implemented here, but it's one of those baseball moments that I just love to see.

EDIT: I found one... And they even let him throw a ceremonial pitch!

2 hours ago, udubfan19 said:

y'all aren't gonna believe this:

BwHwRGy.png

Seattle must be stealing signs.  That's so unfair to the Astros.

In other news, Trea Turner is out till July, which sucks because unlike last year, he actually looked like Trea Turner so far this year.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

46 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I saw a Phillies cap in the same color/style this past week.

at least they actually have blue in their color scheme. a giant hat in dodger blue is forbidden.

53 minutes ago, udubfan19 said:

at least they actually have blue in their color scheme. a giant hat in dodger blue is forbidden.

Agreed. I'm guessing these are similar to the Yankee fashion caps of the past where they just come in different colors. Some people don[t understand that you just don't make a Giants cap in Dodgers' colors, though 🙂

It's where I sit.

55 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

Agreed. I'm guessing these are similar to the Yankee fashion caps of the past where they just come in different colors. Some people don[t understand that you just don't make a Giants cap in Dodgers' colors, though 🙂

f2165876bc2abf52ba28960d05d2dcaa.jpg

• LOL 1

I don't know why the Brewers were so low on everyone's power rankings at the start of the season. I just never really saw them regressing much and figured they would still be competitive, even with losing Counsell.

The Cardinals suck. Sell the team. Fire everybody and get bad. It’s time. Their “strategy” is outdated and flawed. If they want to win on a budget they need better leadership and management. It’s time for half empty stadiums and 95 losses for a couple years.

6 hours ago, 8BW14 said:

The Cardinals suck. Sell the team. Fire everybody and get bad. It’s time. Their “strategy” is outdated and flawed. If they want to win on a budget they need better leadership and management. It’s time for half empty stadiums and 95 losses for a couple years.

This is the prevailing sentiment here in the St. Louis area, and I find it fascinating. The Cardinals have been one of baseball's most successful franchises,  yet the prospect of two consecutive seasons seems to have spurred a revolt. Seats are empty. Sports talk radio is talking about the Cardinals having a tarnished brand. It's quite head-spinning.

I mean, on the one hand, there are dozens of fanbases that would like to have a team with the record of success the Cardinals have had over time. On the other hand, I can't fault fans for applying pressure on a club to keep those standards high. They're used to success here and won't accept anything less. I think that's fair. 

It's just interesting, especially when you consider that, just down the street is the St. Louis Blues, which missed the playoffs for two straight years, has nowhere near the Cardinals' record of success, yet fans seem to think, "eh, they'll figure it out." 

Apologies for any unintended generalizations here. As someone who lives here, but isn't a fan of the local teams, it's an interesting thing to watch play out. 

8 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This is the prevailing sentiment here in the St. Louis area, and I find it fascinating. The Cardinals have been one of baseball's most successful franchises,  yet the prospect of two consecutive seasons seems to have spurred a revolt. Seats are empty. Sports talk radio is talking about the Cardinals having a tarnished brand. It's quite head-spinning.

I mean, on the one hand, there are dozens of fanbases that would like to have a team with the record of success the Cardinals have had over time. On the other hand, I can't fault fans for applying pressure on a club to keep those standards high. They're used to success here and won't accept anything less. I think that's fair. 

It's just interesting, especially when you consider that, just down the street is the St. Louis Blues, which missed the playoffs for two straight years, has nowhere near the Cardinals' record of success, yet fans seem to think, "eh, they'll figure it out." 

Apologies for any unintended generalizations here. As someone who lives here, but isn't a fan of the local teams, it's an interesting thing to watch play out. 

I’m being hyperbolic to a degree. Speaking for myself, I’m tired of management and ownership being content with just being good enough to limp into the playoffs and string fans along. 85 wins and a chance isn’t good enough. The last time the Cardinals won, they had GUYS, Pujols, Molina, Chris Carpenter, prime Wainwright and a manager who was actually the manager, not a puppet for an ever increasingly looking incompetent front office. Mediocre players and the “Cardinal Way” isn’t good enough. Moneyball can win a lot of games, but it won’t win you playoff series. Have the A’s ever won anything with it?

Why are the Cardinals developing all of these guys who flop when they debut and flourish with other teams. Maybe they’re great at identifying talent, but they can’t develop it. Hindsight is 20/20, but damn, besides Goldy and Arenado, the Cardinals have wiffed on a ton of trades and signings in Mozailek’s tenure as GM. They traded away Zach Gallen, Sandy Alcantra, Randy Arozarena, Tyler O’Neill and let Montgomery and Hicks walk. They act like they’re still the smartest guy in the room when everyone else has moved beyond them. They’re pissing on fans and telling us it’s raining. Things don’t really change and they tell fans to expect different results. I’m ready to trade Goldy and Arenado, burn it down and start over. I want fans to stop going because they’ve had enough of being kinda good usually.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 8BW14 said:

I’m being hyperbolic to a degree. Speaking for myself, I’m tired of management and ownership being content with just being good enough to limp into the playoffs and string fans along. 85 wins and a chance isn’t good enough. The last time the Cardinals won, they had GUYS, Pujols, Molina, Chris Carpenter, prime Wainwright and a manager who was actually the manager, not a puppet for an ever increasingly looking incompetent front office. Mediocre players and the “Cardinal Way” isn’t good enough. Moneyball can win a lot of games, but it won’t win you playoff series. Have the A’s ever won anything with it?

Why are the Cardinals developing all of these guys who flop when they debut and flourish with other teams. Maybe they’re great at identifying talent, but they can’t develop it. Hindsight is 20/20, but damn, besides Goldy and Arenado, the Cardinals have wiffed on a ton of trades and signings in Mozailek’s tenure as GM. They traded away Zach Gallen, Sandy Alcantra, Randy Arozarena, Tyler O’Neill and let Montgomery and Hicks walk. They act like they’re still the smartest guy in the room when everyone else has moved beyond them. They’re pissing on fans and telling us it’s raining. Things don’t really change and they tell fans to expect different results. I’m ready to trade Goldy and Arenado, burn it down and start over. I want fans to stop going because they’ve had enough of being kinda good usually.

I wouldn't fault you for any of these emotions. All justifiable. 

I just find it interesting to be in a market where success is expected. I lived in Pittsburgh for a spell and so many people there are so resigned to mediocrity that an 85-win season and eking their way into the playoffs would be worthy of celebration. 

• Like 1

An 85-second half inning may or may not be a record, but it's gotta be up there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

An 85-second half inning may or may not be a record, but it's gotta be up there.

Without the pitch clock, that same 3 pitch half inning probably takes 12 minutes.

BB52Big.jpg