24 MLB Season Thread

Gary

3 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I mean, I have thought about the Station to Station diet lately.

spacer.png

It's worth a shot.

The bigger question is did Bowie ever perfect telekinesis? He was Bowie so I can't rule it out entirely. Page was never a threat. His attempts to be the next Aleister Crowley were clumsy at best. I'd imagine the witches he hired reflected that.

BB52Big.jpg

20 hours ago, infrared41 said:

Having used vitamins, amphetamines, and cocaine (as well as a few other illegal substances) when I was playing, I can tell you from experience that those things do not enhance your ability in any appreciable way. Having used steroids when I was playing, I can tell you from experience that they enhance your ability in pretty much every appreciable way. That's the difference.

I didn't know you played for the Mets in the 1980s.

• LOL 2

On 3/30/2024 at 4:50 PM, infrared41 said:

So it's fine if us civilians decide to stay somewhere for the lifestyle and weather even though we know things might be better and more lucrative elsewhere, but ballplayers hurt their legacies if they do the same thing?

I don't know why this expectation is of Mike Trout that he needs to leave to prove himself exists. I don't know of another player in sports who's been held to that same standard. He's on a major league baseball team and he's compiled these stats against grown ass major league pitchers who don't suddenly get worse when they play the Angels. If he'd grown up in, I don't know, Nebraska, would there be this mandate that he must play in Philadelphia to prove that he can play in Philadelphia? If anything, playing 1/2 of the Akron Groomsmen role means he's been asked to carry a team and exert himself more than he would if he were with a more stacked roster. 

Now that I've defended him, I must say that I don't like Trout's vibe either. Some players you just don't gel with and he just isn't my guy. I saw him play in person in Seattle and he had an impressive game, but it was so blah. I just think he's kind of a vacant, black hole of charisma, which isn't important for playing good baseball, but it is important for being an entertainment product that I seek out when my team isn't playing the Angels.

21 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

Yes. Exactly. I fell so hard into ALL of this when I was younger. But then you get older, realize what the world actually is (or, in the very least, what it’s become), and realize that a lot of the mystique around baseball is just their fabrication of their own place and importance within society. They use it as a warm blanket to cover up the warts, and as a screen to avoid dealing with any of the actual problems. It’s as soulless of a money making operation as any other business entity. 

And I’m not indicting baseball alone on this. There are countless “American institutions” that rest on these laurels and use it to hand wave anything that’s problematic. But people are starting to push back on some of this and baseball certainly isn’t going to be immune from that. 

Baseball has a choice to either stick to their guns and continue to shrink in popularity, or adapt. For as dumb as some of these guys at the top are, they’re at least trying.

I just wish the HoF would start to reflect some of that, too. 

This is me with the designated hitter and interleague play. Used to have impassioned arguments about both and now I just cannot care. If you asked me now I would argue multiple points about how both are actually good. I've become less of a baseball purist as I've aged and less of a hard-ass sports fan all around.

I have some experiences now that I didn't have as a teenager/early 20's person and those have given me a healthy dose of perspective. When the Reds or Bengals lost when I was a kid my dad would laugh and move on instantly and it made me angry that he didn't care. I get it now. It's not that he didn't care, he just knew that it wasn't important enough to spend any time worrying about. His response was correct. It's just sports.

• Like 2

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, Sport said:

This is me with the designated hitter and interleague play. Used to have impassioned arguments about both and now I just cannot care. If you asked me now I would argue multiple points about how both are actually good. I've become less of a baseball purist as I've aged and less of a hard-ass sports fan all around.

I have some experiences now that I didn't have as a teenager/early 20's person and those have given me a healthy dose of perspective. When the Reds or Bengals lost when I was a kid my dad would laugh and move on instantly and it made me angry that he didn't care. I get it now. It's not that he didn't care, he just knew that it wasn't important enough to spend any time worrying about. His response was correct. It's just sports.

Same here.

• Like 1

BB52Big.jpg

The White Sox delayed a game because they could not find their first base coach, had said game called in the 8th by their social media team, but team officials couldn't officially tell the press the game was called until about 20 minutes later, lost the called game in another shutout, and then signed back Mike Clevinger.

This is a dark ride.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Normally I would think the situation was Daryl Boston going up to Kenny Williams's office to talk behind everyone's back but they don't work there anymore, so what gives?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, infrared41 said:

80s Royals, but same idea.

Not sure if it was all the coke (or if he even did it), but George Brett used to get nasty-ass (fully intended) hemorroides.  I knew a guy that worked the hotel they stayed at during the 1980 WS, and one of his jobs was to discreetly get medication for Brett's butthole, and they'd hand it from person to person to avoid any direct contact with the purchaser and Brett.  Apparently they didn't want to give the Phillies a competitive advantage by knowing he was having flare ups in his hole.

Or maybe it was a primitive form of Barry Bonds' "The Cream", administered anally for quick absorption.  IDK, but I feel like I've thought way too much about George Brett's hall-of-fame butthole.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

6 minutes ago, BBTV said:

Or maybe it was a primitive form of Barry Bonds' "The Cream", administered anally for quick absorption. 

IDK, but I feel like I've thought way too much about George Brett's hall-of-fame butthole.

You didn't hear this from me, but that's exactly what it was. Why do you think he flipped out like he did over the pine tar HR? It was butt-roid rage.

Most definitely.

• LOL 1

BB52Big.jpg

20 minutes ago, infrared41 said:

You didn't hear this from me, but that's exactly what it was. Why do you think he flipped out like he did over the pine tar HR? It was butt-roid rage.

He wasn't going to take that sitting down.

• Applause 1
  • LOL 2

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Some jabroni that I've never heard of, who hadn't pitched in the majors in 5 years, just got a 4-inning save for the Phillies.  I had no idea that was even possible.  What's even weirder is that the call-up didn't even get to the ballpark until the 4th inning!

I think the save stat is ridiculous to begin with, and has had a very negative impact on the game.  But it's just odd that there's such a thing as a 4-inning save.  But it's a stupid stat.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My favorite stat for showing how weird the save can be is that, in the 2007 game when the Rangers beat the Orioles 30-3 there was a Rangers pitcher credited with a save!

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/BAL/BAL200708221.shtml

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

sorry sweetie, but I don't suck minor-league d

CCSLC Post of the day September 3rd 2012

The White Sox odds are +25,000 to win the world series, so

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter