eNPhNh_q_400x400.jpg

Toronto Sceptres:

v4ryOcAt_400x400.jpg

• Hurl 2
  • Dislike 1
  • Facepalm 1

v40P3lq.png

Wow. Minnesota Frost 😕

I’d rather have the Minnesota Superior now, or even Reign like the players wanted. 

This really does feel like an ownership group from LA, said “What’s the one thing we know about Minnesota?” “It’s cold!” And ran with names based on that…

Overall not terrible for the league, and the logos are ok, but kinda disappointing for my team. I’m glad they kept the colors mostly intact for each team though!

• Like 2

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

On 9/5/2024 at 3:08 PM, spartacat_12 said:

Sounds like the names & logos are going to be unveiled next week. The league and each team has updated their twitter profiles to just black & white, which means we could potentially see some teams switching up their colours.

EDIT: They've announced September 9 as the unveiling day, and each team has posted a cryptic message hinting at their name.

Montreal: "Something is calling" - seems like they'll be going with the previously leaked Echo

Toronto: "Almost ready to rule the rink" with a portrait of a queen - my guess would be Monarchs or Royals

Boston: "Something is coming" - likely a reference to "something Wicked this way comes"

New York: "Turning the volume up" - fits with Sounds, so looks like yet another team using the previously leaked name

Ottawa: "Bringing the energy" - a little more vague, but still makes sense if they're sticking with Alert

Minnesota: "A cold front is rolling in" - they posted a picture of trees covered in snow, so doesn't look like they're going with Superior; probably some generic, winter-themed name like Frost or Blizzards

At first I thought Boston Wicked was the worst sports team name ever - but on top of being Bostonian slang, it might also be a sly reference to the Salem witch trials, perhaps? Ok, maybe it's not that bad.

I'd say these are significant;y better than the last rumored set. I do think Minnesota should have ran with a Valkyrie/Norse name but it is what it is. Boston's logo is my favorite out of the bunch. 

• Like 1

"Fleet" in green and white is either the brand of a defunct bank chain or the brand of the enema kit they sell at drugstores, either one is not really the association I'd be going for for my hockey team.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

Well these names aren't perfect, but they're all (somewhat) better than the original trademarks.

Here's how I'd rank the names:

1. New York Sirens - fun double meaning with the city known for emergency sirens & the mythical sea creature
  2. Toronto Sceptres - would've preferred something like Monarchs or Royals, but I'll give them points for originality
  3. Boston Fleet - the best of the singular names
  4. Minnesota Frost - pretty generic, but much better than Superior
  5. Victoire de Montreal - a bit cocky to name your team the Victory, but it does sound better en Francais 
  6. Ottawa Charge - continuing the Ottawa sports tradition with yet another awful team name, arguably just as bad as Alert

And the logos:

1. Boston - simple, but affective; like the addition of the lighter green to the colour scheme
  2. Montreal - the V/M/fleur de lis combo making up the bird silhouette is executed well 
  3. Toronto - the beveling on the letters could've been executed better, but still a nice monogram; hope they stick to being mostly blue & white with the yellow just as trim
  4. Minnesota - much like the name it's very generic; the two-tone purple should make for a nice uniform at least
  5. New York - complete missed opportunity to do something cool with the name, doesn't really represent NYC or the mythology; if they've demoted seafoam to a secondary colour that's a big mistake too
  6. Ottawa - looks like a bad Calgary flames knockoff, and yellow + charcoal doesn't seem like the best combo of secondary colours
  • Like 2

38 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

And the logos:

Ottawa - looks like a bad Calgary flames ...

Yeap, that was my first thought as well.

I think the NY Sirens logo/wordmark would be better without the sound wave S. the color combo is pretty neat.

pretty disappointed with the names and logos across the board. Wish the league and teams lots of success though.

• Like 1

Apparently Bauer unwittingly published some placeholder pages on their website publicly that included other finalist names for each team:

alt-names.jpg

Screenshots courtesy of @adam_la2karis on twitter.

More on each team's name on logo in the writeup I did for the Mothership.

• Like 3