Bad to good to bad - Hockey Logos

Cashcleaner

I've just been scanning a few logo pages recently and just realized for the first time how many good team logos have been created for existing hockey teams then immediately dropped in favour for the traditional designs. For example, take the NY Islanders. I was never a fan of the rather amateur-ish looking island, stick, and text combination on the dark blue background. In my opinion, the newer crest created in 1995 (hmmm, that year right?) with the islander, net, and waves motif looks far better. Why did they change it back?! Same goes with the Calgary Flames 'stallion' motif. Okay, I think that was just an alternate, but you knpw what I'm getting at. There are so many good modern designs that I htink have been scrapped for reasons I can't fanthom.

Hmm, now that I think of it, that was all more of a rant then a valid forum topic.

Still a bit pissed about it, though.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

The horsehead logo is not a bad logo, but it should not replace the C.

I agree that the Isles' circle logo is lame, but the fisherman was also horrible. (Lighthouse! Lighthouse!)

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Actually, yeah, must admit the lighthouse patch on the shoulder was better than the front crest but I think they are both way cooler than the traditional one they've kept. As for Calgary, I'm still a big fan of the flaming horse design. But I'll admit the 'C' logo isn't that bad either. Oh, and before I forget, I think the newer Rangers logo with the face of the Statue of Liberty is way better then the older one as well.

Hmm, that all said though, I'm glad Boston didn't stick with the Bear-head design they used a few years back. Again though, that could have just been an alternate jersey.

HibsSignature.gif

Thanks go to Eddie010 for the Signature and Avatar. Nice work, mate!

i never liked the fisherman logo, however i did like the light house and they really should have used it as an alternate to the jerseys they have now. I like the modernization of the old logo.

as for calgary, i like the red jerseys but the black "C" has to go, i rather see the dragon head than the black "c" at the very least use a white "c". like they used before changing them circa 96

Magus.png

General Magus Zeal

Leader of the Mystics of Medina.

The forums most hated member ever.

as for calgary, i like the red jerseys but the black "C" has to go, i rather see the dragon head than the black "c" at the very least use a white "c". like they used before changing them circa 96

I agree, i like the white C and the original Calgary uniforms are one of the best ever in the NHL, todays Flames uni's are pretty average.

The Islanders changed because whenever the Isles would go into MSG, NJ, or Philly the crowd would chant "we want fishsticks". That chant even happened on long island. The players hated it and so did the fans. I think the only person who liked it was Stan Fischler because the guy in the logo looked like him.

I know I am in the minority, but I love the Isle's logo. Plus I like the colors. The extra colors taht went with the fisherman did not do it for me. Plus I did not like the wavy trim.

I think a good sleeve patch would be a verison of the lighthouse (with these colors).

Again, I know I am in the minority, but I'm glad the Isles went back.

I also LOVE the Flames' "C"

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

The Islanders changed because whenever the Isles would go into MSG, NJ, or Philly the crowd would chant "we want fishsticks". That chant even happened on long island. The players hated it and so did the fans. I think the only person who liked it was Stan Fischler because the guy in the logo looked like him.

The only better chant in New York history was, "POTVIN BEATS HIS WIFE!"

The only better chant in New York history was, "POTVIN BEATS HIS WIFE!"

My uncle and cousins are big Devils fans, and often started a very similar chant way back in the day: "BEAT YOUR WIFE, POTVIN, BEAT YOUR WIFE!"

I'm kind of partial to "FIRE SATHER!" That man's got to go.

sticksstones4.png

The world's foremost practitioners of professional tag-team wrestling.

I agree, i like the white C and the original Calgary uniforms are one of the best ever in the NHL, todays Flames uni's are pretty average.

Eh, while I liked the red/orange era, today's jerseys are definitely some of the best in the NHL. The white jersey is outstanding, and they easily have my favourite number style. With a white C and numbers, the red jerseys would also be great.

POTD 2013-08-22

The flaming snot horse head is an awful logo--in my opinion it is one of the worst NHL logos ever...It just looks wrong--and I figured out the main reason for that is that it has no mane! IF it had a flaming mane, and no flaming snot it could look pretty cool, but as it is it is atrocious...

The Flaming C is a great logo, and I too prefer their original jerseys, although the current white is quite nice too, the current reds have too much black. And the Atlanta flaming A is one of the best sports logos ever...

I like the Isle's original logo--the fisherman was too Captain Highliner-ish for sure, but what made things worse was the uniform it came with--the colours and designs inspired nausea in me, they just didn't look hockey...

While I'm not opposed to the idea of a lighthouse logo--the one that they have used is boring, it needs more oomph some how--although I have no suggestions for that...

Oh and Mockba--those jerseys may have looked red/orang to you on TV or in publications, on hockey cards etc--but in person--they aren't orange/red at all--they are very red--it was the presence of yellow trim that gave the impression of orange...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

That horse logo looked like. Most people thought it was a dragon and it was on a black jersey.

The flaming C is a much better logo.

Just my opinion :D

The Flames minor league affiliate in Saint John used a Dragon for their primary logo in the late 90s until they folded a couple of years ago.

Both were good I have to admit!

Signature intentionally left blank

The horsehead logo is not a bad logo, but it should not replace the C.

I agree that the Isles' circle logo is lame, but the fisherman was also horrible.  (Lighthouse!  Lighthouse!)

Yes. I agree 106% with Mockba.

106%? :wacko:

I saw, I came, I left.

The Current Isles logo is one of the best in all of sports.

I know you've said it before, but every time I see you say it, I have to wonder what drugs you're on and why you haven't been sharing with the rest of the class.

It's the epitome off bad 70s logo design. Perhaps not the worst example, but up there.

POTD 2013-08-22

The Current Isles logo is one of the best in all of sports.

I know you've said it before, but every time I see you say it, I have to wonder what drugs you're on and why you haven't been sharing with the rest of the class.

It's the epitome off bad 70s logo design. Perhaps not the worst example, but up there.

It's just a classic Circle logo. Good colors, the NY with the hockey stick is great (although a maligned by some on this board), Long Island looks good in the logo, and the Islanders script is just fine. I've heard people say "I hate that half of the "I" in inside the island..." Would you rather them shift everything and make it off-center, which would make the logo suck? The logo is in perfect balance, and it is a perfect design. It tells you the location of the team and their name. Simple, but classic.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

Archived