Modesto Launches "Name the Team" Contest...

Brian in Boston

Condit isnt from Molesto......ERRRRR......Modesto

Peterson is.

Good point. Was it where his office is though? I remember being in San Francisco three years ago and all I heard about was Gary Condit and something about Modesto.

*edit* I like "Crushers"

I saw, I came, I left.

interesting note: Modesto was the city that was the basis of and the setting for the movie "Grease"

Actually, Shark, wasn't it American Graffiti, since George Lucas was from around there. I could be mistaken, but I thought I heard a blurb about that when I watched the documentary in the Star Wars DVD. :therock: I could be wrong though...

NASCAR. Done. |

nextel_cup_logo.JPG

Brenty N3 is correct. The "Cruisers" connection comes from American Graffiti, not Grease.

From the historicmodesto.com website:

Mr. Lucas Comes To Town

It took the 50-year reunion and anniversary celebration at John Muir Elementary School in Modesto recently, to get the city's most famous native-son back to town. With almost 200 other former students, George Lucas joined in sharing memories of his childhood in 1950s Modesto.

Lucas, who is world-renowned for his "Star Wars" films, had captured his teen years in Modesto in "American Graffiti," a 1973 movie that celebrates cruising in downtown Modesto. While he did not attend the 50th anniversary of Thomas Downey High School a few weeks ago, John Muir's celebration brought him home.

There was even a documentary film in '98 put together by Lucas and featuring lots of actors from "American Grafitti" entitled "Cruisin' Modesto".

And who can forget the American Grafitti poster, featuring the phrase at the bottom, "Cruisin"?:

cruisin.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if 'Cruisers' winds up being the name.

It is what it is.

Just imagine the retro 50s theme you could do for Cruisers... too obvious or too tempting to pass up?

That said, I can't imagine a 1950s era car being very easy to work into a concept... so how do you convey the image of cruising?

liverpool-1.png

That said, I can't imagine a 1950s era car being very easy to work into a concept... so how do you convey the image of cruising?

Hmmm... maybe you give the current elephant mascot a 50s era, slicked-back, DA hairstyle and put him in a leather jacket. :P

i like Crushers....and I cannot pass up the chance to quote one of my all-time favorite characters...

Aaaaaaaaaaaay!
:hockeysmiley:

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

How about The "Modesto Mouse"?

Now let's all have a good groan and move on. Or float on. Okay, I'll stop now.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Archived