OFFICIAL: Expos to Washington

JQK

the expos are gone. oh well. the one good thing that can come of this is that the blue jays are the only canadian team left. that means there is a better chance of getting a maple leaf into the logo.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AP chimes in on the name game (this just moved on the wire):

Senators? Monuments? Grays? Let the name debate begin

WASHINGTON - The wait for a baseball team is over. The debate over the name begins.

With the Montreal Expos headed to the nation's capital, ideas for a suitable nickname for a baseball team at the seat of government are already a hot topic, ranging from the majestic _ Washington Monuments _ to the silly _ Washington Leakers.

Of course, Washington Senators will be the sentimental favorite. The original Senators played in Washington from 1901-60 before moving to Minnesota to become the Twins, and the expansion Senators were in town from 1961-71 before moving to Texas to become the Rangers.

The Rangers, however, retained the rights to the "Washington Senators" name, so a deal would have to be struck to buy the moniker back.

Mayor Anthony Williams offered his own solution Wednesday, suggesting the team be called the Washington Grays _ a tribute to the Homestead Grays, a Negro League team that won nine championships playing in Washington in the 1930s and 1940s.

I'll bet they are still the Expos next year so the new owner can have some time to get some focus groups goings. I;m guessing they flip over the M on the caps and make it a W. Can someone post a pic of a cap like this? I don't know how to do it.

I think it would be pretty silly to just flip the logo upside down.

After all, the logo is not just an "M." It is also e-l-b.

Reaper!

Where've you been?

I visit just about every day...I usually have nothing to say though... :hockeysmiley:

I'll bet they are still the Expos next year so the new owner can have some time to get some focus groups goings. I;m guessing they flip over the M on the caps and make it a W. Can someone post a pic of a cap like this? I don't know how to do it.

I think it would be pretty silly to just flip the logo upside down.

After all, the logo is not just an "M." It is also e-l-b.

Reaper!

Where've you been?

I visit just about every day...I usually have nothing to say though... :hockeysmiley:

Not only silly--it doesn't look very good upside down...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Funny, I've followed baseball since 1980 and I never saw an "M" in the expos logo!

Can someone explain to me what that logo is? Is it "elb", or is it "eb" and what does the "lb" or "b" stands for?

IIRC, the e-l-b is French and it stands for Exposition Les Baseball.

Funny, I've followed baseball since 1980 and I never saw an "M" in the expos logo!

Can someone explain to me what that logo is?  Is it "elb", or is it "eb" and what does the "lb" or "b" stands for?

Sorry... not exactly that one.

M = Montréal

e = expos

l = le (in French "le" is singular, "les" is plural)

b = base-ball

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

Can someone explain to me what that logo is? Is it "elb", or is it "eb" and what does the "lb" or "b" stands for?

M = Montréal

e = expos

b = base-ball

I was always convinced that there was no L, just EB with a M outline, Because expos le baseball does not make sense

Say Tank, did you know the official DC baseball club website has a link to the Washington Senators section of your website?

http://www.baseballindc.com/links.asp

I saw, I came, I left.

the upside down ELB M doesnt look all that bad, although if they do that (doubtful) i think they should fill in the little space in the e becasue it juts looks funny and makes you think "upside down e" instead of W.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

thank you CC. i wasnt sure with all the dissenting opinions previously posted on this thread, but now i am.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

M = Montréal

e = expos

b = base-ball

Well, in sorta correct language: Expos Le Beisbol (l?).

MouthoftheSouth.jpg

I don't speak for democrats, democrats don't speak for me.

Guys for the 15 millionth time, it's an eMb no L. Look in an Expos media guide if you don't believe me :)

This is why I think it's a failed design. I like it, it's aesthetically pleasing and I respect the team's history, but it's spectacularly unclear.

With the Brewers' glove logo, you might not see the MB right away but it's clear. With the Expos' blob, no two people agree on what it means. That's a problem.

Archived