Utah MLS team to be revealed Saturday...

schlim

Things are moving in Salt Lake, anyone hear anything about the name?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/soccer/mls/...tah-coach_x.htm

"Now that a coach and general manager are in place, the team needs a name and colors, which will be announced Saturday at Rice-Eccles Stadium. The football stadium at the University of Utah will be home to the MLS team for its first two seasons."

I hope they don't go with "Real". In Spain the teams designated as REAL are actually the "Royal" clubs of those regions. They have an official charter with royal seals, recognition, etc. The most famous, of course, is in Madrid, but other royals have granted license to other teams. Real Oviedo, for instance is the team of the crown prince (Prince of Asturias--Oviedo is the capital of Asturias region.)

To call the team REAL is just a cheap ploy to make it look European without understanding the underlying meaning of the name.

If they are going to imitate European clubs, at least imitate one with american style names:

Salt Lake Rangers

FC Utah Xtreme River Valley SaltCatzzz

In the tradition of the Ice Cats, Solar Bears, Ice Bats and every other cold or wanna be cold city that uses Ice to describe an otherwisee non icy creature, EZ Street's entry has inspired me to go one up:

Introducing your FC Utah Xtreme River Valley Ice SaltCatzzz

and the colors? sky blue, navy blue, black, with hints ot teal, purple and an orange alternate that just doesn't make any sense at all.

Of course, they'll change their colors in two years, along with their name like most every other MLS club - and when the league is trying to reinvent itself one last time, they'll just be known as the Salt Lake Flats, with whatever trendy color scheme in happening in 2006.

Calling it Real Salt Lake makes as much sense as calling the Dallas Burn FC Dallas. If Real is indeed a "royal" or "regal" moniker, it's dumb to put it on a team in a country which has no monarchy. Just like "football club" Dallas; the Dallas Football club is the Cowboys. The Dallas Soccer team is the Burn. They should have gone with "AC Dallas". That one fits, has the elements of a European or Latin American soccer team, and won't confuse one sport with another.

These owners need to remember...this is the USA. No monarchy here. Football is played with an oblong brown ball by players in helmets and wearing padding. As much as they want to infuse traditional soccer terms and names into this league to make it more "standard" worldwide, the owners need a reality check to see how stupid these names look in context to the country they're playing in.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Of course, they'll change their colors in two years, along with their name like most every other MLS club - and when the league is trying to reinvent itself one last time, they'll just be known as the Salt Lake Flats, with whatever trendy color scheme in happening in 2006.

let's see...the San Jose Clash became the Earthquakes cus the name Clash only works if your job entails playing guitars or drums. And "Flush the Wiz" signs were apparently convincing enough to lengthen KC's handle to Wizards. Combine that with the Burn becoming FC Dallas and that's only 3 of 12 that changed names.

If I were choosing, I'd go with Salt Lake Jackets and send em my wordmark :D Salt Lake Highlanders sounds like the best of the three. Alliance Salt Lake...sounds like a bank or something...and Real Salt Lake makes no sense. I don't know how many hispanics live in Utah, but i figure they'd agree. and i thought FC Dallas smacked of posing...this would take the cake.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

let's see...the San Jose Clash became the Earthquakes cus the name Clash only works if your job entails playing guitars or drums. And "Flush the Wiz" signs were apparently convincing enough to lengthen KC's handle to Wizards. Combine that with the Burn becoming FC Dallas and that's only 3 of 12 that changed names.

It was either Dan or Keith that would joke about Dallas and KC playing being a Urologist's nightmare (or dream). The Wiz and Burn. :D

Upon hearing this, I just have to do this, cant hold myself back.

In the honor of %99.9 percent of the Utah urban youth's idol, Eminem.....

Will the Real Salt Lake please stand up! Please Stand up! Please Stand up!

NYCdog.png

Calling it Real Salt Lake makes as much sense as calling the Dallas Burn FC Dallas. If Real is indeed a "royal" or "regal" moniker, it's dumb to put it on a team in a country which has no monarchy. Just like "football club" Dallas; the Dallas Football club is the Cowboys. The Dallas Soccer team is the Burn. They should have gone with "AC Dallas". That one fits, has the elements of a European or Latin American soccer team, and won't confuse one sport with another.

These owners need to remember...this is the USA. No monarchy here. Football is played with an oblong brown ball by players in helmets and wearing padding. As much as they want to infuse traditional soccer terms and names into this league to make it more "standard" worldwide, the owners need a reality check to see how stupid these names look in context to the country they're playing in.

being born in salem, mass, i understand where you are coming from as a new englander on this...

but in dallas, 99.99999% of the soccer fans refer to the sport as FUTBALL...so FC Dallas works for me.

hell, even Real Dallas would have sounded cool... but that's because it's dallas. texas is very hispanic, so the name really fits. i can get behind the FC Dallas a lot easier than i can the Dallas BURN. :)

however, Real SLC does NOT sound right... salt lake city is as white-bread as it can get, so adding any kind of latin or european flavor to it, is just silly...

Alliance Salt Lake sounds best from the list of "front runners" to me... again, a place as white as utah should really not try to force any kind of latin name.

Utah Stockons... because the Jazz is all they care about still :D

Not really.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

Of course, they'll change their colors in two years, along with their name like most every other MLS club - and when the league is trying to reinvent itself one last time, they'll just be known  as the Salt Lake Flats, with whatever trendy color scheme in happening in 2006.

Well dicrimihater, I was just implying that with so few teams in the league and in such a short time (ten years?) three teams have been re-christened without moving cities. I like the league, and hope it does well, but becoming a niche league and alluding to traditional European squads seems like a laughable idea.

Maybe this should be a contest? Recast an MLS team into a new European identity?

KCeltic Wiz?

West Ham Galaxy?

Hertha Boston?

Inter Metrostars?

The possibilities could be endless.

Archived